I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: I remeber Halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Wolter »

Bankrobber wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 10:21pm
I would say "Mausoleum" by Manic Street Preachers but since it's about the Holocaust it feels a bit sacrosanct.
If you don’t pay attention to the also-about-the-Holocaust lyrics if The Intense Humming Of Evil, it’s definitely something that would work in some sort of postpunk grindhouse horror soundtrack.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Pretty much anything by The Birthday Party.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Wolter wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 8:27am
Bankrobber wrote:
I would say "Mausoleum" by Manic Street Preachers but since it's about the Holocaust it feels a bit sacrosanct.
If you don’t pay attention to the also-about-the-Holocaust lyrics if The Intense Humming Of Evil, it’s definitely something that would work in some sort of postpunk grindhouse horror soundtrack.
Musically, other than Yes, This is Yesterday, and maybe PCP all of the Holy Bible sounds kind of evil and scary.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Also, happy spooky pumpkin times everyone!
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Bankrobber wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 12:00pm
Wolter wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 8:27am
Bankrobber wrote:
Musically, other than Yes, This is Yesterday, and maybe PCP all of the Holy Bible sounds kind of evil and scary.
It’s...intense.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Holy Bible is Dean Martin's A Winter Romance for the spooking season. Not specifically holiday festive, but it works so well it should be adopted as such.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

I challenge anyone to not feel dread listening to it. Or to not feel legit terror listening to 4st 7lbs.

Faster also sends a chill down my spine because lyrically it sounds like it was written by someone on the edge of sanity (guess it was) and it is sooooo fucking awesome a song.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

What a fucking masterpiece.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Bankrobber wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 1:45pm
I challenge anyone to not feel dread listening to it. Or to not feel legit terror listening to 4st 7lbs.

Faster also sends a chill down my spine because lyrically it sounds like it was written by someone on the edge of sanity (guess it was) and it is sooooo fucking awesome a song.
I don't know if I can think of another album that manages to match downright frightening lyrics (Nicky's paranoid political rants and Richey's disturbing tales of personal struggle) with music that is catchy. I know it's not catchy in the typical sense of the word - but the songs do grab you musically. The entire album is genius from start to finish and it's one of the few albums where I can vividly recall the first time I listened to it.

That said, though the album is a harrowing listen, I saw them live around 2009 and James played "This is Yesteday" as a solo acoustic song and it was really moving.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 2:48pm
Bankrobber wrote:

I don't know if I can think of another album that manages to match downright frightening lyrics (Nicky's paranoid political rants and Richey's disturbing tales of personal struggle) with music that is catchy. I know it's not catchy in the typical sense of the word - but the songs do grab you musically. The entire album is genius from start to finish and it's one of the few albums where I can vividly recall the first time I listened to it.

That said, though the album is a harrowing listen, I saw them live around 2009 and James played "This is Yesteday" as a solo acoustic song and it was really moving.
I saw that same tour in Chicago with my wife, eumaas, and old board member Shelltrain. It was one of the best shows I’ve ever seen.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 4:15pm
WestwayKid wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 2:48pm
Bankrobber wrote:

I saw that same tour in Chicago with my wife, eumaas, and old board member Shelltrain. It was one of the best shows I’ve ever seen.
I saw them at the Varsity Theater in Minneapolis. Tiny little place, but wow - they brought a ton of energy to that show. It felt like they got a real charge out of playing in a small club. I agree with it being one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

If only they had played Oklahoma.....never in a million years. I had thoughts about going to see them in Chicago in 2014 but the logistics never worked out.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Bankrobber wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 4:55pm
If only they had played Oklahoma.....never in a million years. I had thoughts about going to see them in Chicago in 2014 but the logistics never worked out.
They've never been to my home town of Milwaukee...so I consider myself very lucky that I was able to make the Minneapolis show work. It's probably the most effort I've ever put into going to a show.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The intro to California Uber Alles has a very sinister tone.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 4:49pm
The intro to California Uber Alles has a very sinister tone.
Are you thinking of "Holiday in Cambodia"? The album version's intro is quite eerie.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft