Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47244
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 1:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:40pm
Well maybe you still had some hair back then. ;)
Some. :sad: I once used a Spin cover from the 80s in the lecture. Can't recall who was on the cover—Jim Kerr, I think—but the guy had serious 80s hair. Smart-ass student asked me whether I had that much hair when I was young.
I hope you gave that student a straight A.
He was very much a fucknut who earned his D or D+ wholly on merit.
Oh well even idiots can shine for one day. :lol:
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 90274
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 1:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 1:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:40pm
Well maybe you still had some hair back then. ;)
Some. :sad: I once used a Spin cover from the 80s in the lecture. Can't recall who was on the cover—Jim Kerr, I think—but the guy had serious 80s hair. Smart-ass student asked me whether I had that much hair when I was young.
I hope you gave that student a straight A.
He was very much a fucknut who earned his D or D+ wholly on merit.
Oh well even idiots can shine for one day. :lol:
Someday, mine will come …
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47244
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 1:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 1:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 1:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:44pm


Some. :sad: I once used a Spin cover from the 80s in the lecture. Can't recall who was on the cover—Jim Kerr, I think—but the guy had serious 80s hair. Smart-ass student asked me whether I had that much hair when I was young.
I hope you gave that student a straight A.
He was very much a fucknut who earned his D or D+ wholly on merit.
Oh well even idiots can shine for one day. :lol:
Someday, mine will come …
Until then go easy on yourself.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton »

Very subjective, how good is the music v how bad is the crime. Plus some people do some dumb stuff which they get called out for especially if they have 5 minutes of fame but do you never forgive them for it?
I’m not referring to those that have a career of being a test.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3833
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 2:52pm
Very subjective, how good is the music v how bad is the crime. Plus some people do some dumb stuff which they get called out for especially if they have 5 minutes of fame but do you never forgive them for it?
I’m not referring to those that have a career of being a test.
In the case of Ryan Adams, it's hard to say. The article called him out for dangling fame (and career help) over the heads of female musicians in exchange for "favors". Basically, if they dated (and slept with him) he'd promise to help them further their careers, but then he wouldn't follow through and when the relationships fell apart he'd get obsessive. It's not good behavior at all, but I don't think he's unique in this behavior. Men dangling success is an icky pattern that goes back a long, long way. The accusation that he engaged in an inappropriate situation with a teenage fan is definitely icky and wrong, but then again he hasn't been charged with anything. My opinion is that Ryan Adams is an immature, self absorbed jerk who makes good music.

Morrissey is a crabby, aging jerk who thinks making provocative racist comments is a good idea. I think his behavior is awful because it spreads hate and intolerance.

Personally, I feel their are lines that once crossed would cause me to no longer listen to an artist. I don't feel Ryan Adams or Morrissey have crossed those lines, but yes - it is very subjective.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 3:12pm
101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 2:52pm
Very subjective, how good is the music v how bad is the crime. Plus some people do some dumb stuff which they get called out for especially if they have 5 minutes of fame but do you never forgive them for it?
I’m not referring to those that have a career of being a test.
In the case of Ryan Adams, it's hard to say. The article called him out for dangling fame (and career help) over the heads of female musicians in exchange for "favors". Basically, if they dated (and slept with him) he'd promise to help them further their careers, but then he wouldn't follow through and when the relationships fell apart he'd get obsessive. It's not good behavior at all, but I don't think he's unique in this behavior. Men dangling success is an icky pattern that goes back a long, long way. The accusation that he engaged in an inappropriate situation with a teenage fan is definitely icky and wrong, but then again he hasn't been charged with anything. My opinion is that Ryan Adams is an immature, self absorbed jerk who makes good music.

Morrissey is a crabby, aging jerk who thinks making provocative racist comments is a good idea. I think his behavior is awful because it spreads hate and intolerance.

Personally, I feel their are lines that once crossed would cause me to no longer listen to an artist. I don't feel Ryan Adams or Morrissey have crossed those lines, but yes - it is very subjective.
Yep like I said subjective plus personal values of course.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47244
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 2:52pm
Very subjective, how good is the music v how bad is the crime. Plus some people do some dumb stuff which they get called out for especially if they have 5 minutes of fame but do you never forgive them for it?
I’m not referring to those that have a career of being a test.
I expect you have heard about the problem with the soundtrack for "The Joker" movie containing Glitters Rock n Roll Pt. 2.

Now I despise what he has done. But I still think that's a great record. But the same time I don't want to see that scumbag earn a penny for it. But like a records there's more than just the singer to consider. The band/producer/engineer all have families that need to eat.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47244
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 2:52pm
Very subjective, how good is the music v how bad is the crime. Plus some people do some dumb stuff which they get called out for especially if they have 5 minutes of fame but do you never forgive them for it?
I’m not referring to those that have a career of being a test.
I expect you have heard about the problem with the soundtrack for "The Joker" movie containing Glitters Rock n Roll Pt. 2.

Now I despise what he has done. But I still think that's a great record. But the same time I don't want to see that scumbag earn a penny for it. But like a records there's more than just the singer to consider. The band/producer/engineer all have families that need to eat.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12434
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 3:12pm
101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 2:52pm
Very subjective, how good is the music v how bad is the crime. Plus some people do some dumb stuff which they get called out for especially if they have 5 minutes of fame but do you never forgive them for it?
I’m not referring to those that have a career of being a test.
In the case of Ryan Adams, it's hard to say. The article called him out for dangling fame (and career help) over the heads of female musicians in exchange for "favors". Basically, if they dated (and slept with him) he'd promise to help them further their careers, but then he wouldn't follow through and when the relationships fell apart he'd get obsessive. It's not good behavior at all, but I don't think he's unique in this behavior. Men dangling success is an icky pattern that goes back a long, long way. The accusation that he engaged in an inappropriate situation with a teenage fan is definitely icky and wrong, but then again he hasn't been charged with anything. My opinion is that Ryan Adams is an immature, self absorbed jerk who makes good music.

Morrissey is a crabby, aging jerk who thinks making provocative racist comments is a good idea. I think his behavior is awful because it spreads hate and intolerance.

Personally, I feel their are lines that once crossed would cause me to no longer listen to an artist. I don't feel Ryan Adams or Morrissey have crossed those lines, but yes - it is very subjective.
All my favorite people are considered problematic these days: Dave Sim, Woody Allen, Bowie, Morrissey, John Lydon, etc etc, the list goes on. I'm pretty much a master of "art before artist" because of this—I can't fathom that a piece of art that means and has meant so much to me should now be stricken from my life because of the behavior or opinions of the artist. What would I be left with? Other art that I like, but which doesn't really affect me deeply? Other art isn't going to slot into that position in my life just because it's vacant, it has to be worthy of it. It just strikes me as self-punishment to remove these very important pieces from my life.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 3:42pm
101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 2:52pm
Very subjective, how good is the music v how bad is the crime. Plus some people do some dumb stuff which they get called out for especially if they have 5 minutes of fame but do you never forgive them for it?
I’m not referring to those that have a career of being a test.
I expect you have heard about the problem with the soundtrack for "The Joker" movie containing Glitters Rock n Roll Pt. 2.

Now I despise what he has done. But I still think that's a great record. But the same time I don't want to see that scumbag earn a penny for it. But like a records there's more than just the singer to consider. The band/producer/engineer all have families that need to eat.
Yes I was about to post about your comments last time we had this discussion and you pointed out that a ban on Michael Jackson music or Gary Glitter has much wider financial implications than to just Glitter and Jackson with band members, session musicians etc etc. I’d never considered that before.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21973
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky, having said that who actually gets a share of royalties, Isn’t it just the song writer or whoever owns the publishing rights?

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47244
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 4:20pm
Marky, having said that who actually gets a share of royalties, Isn’t it just the song writer or whoever owns the publishing rights?
I think so in most cases. Rock n Roll Pt. 2 was co written by Glitter and producer Mike Leander (Deceased). Pt. 2 is also mostly instrumental. Snapper music own the rights to Glitters catalogue and they are not paying him any royalties that sales from the film may make.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4367
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by BitterTom »

I tried listening to some lostprophets earlier after reading this thread, a band I was very much into when I was in my teenage years. I had to turn it off after 2 songs, though I loved them back in the day, what that evil fucker planned to do has ruined it entirely. The songs I loved are still good but I can never enjoy them again.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47244
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 6:00pm
I tried listening to some lostprophets earlier after reading this thread, a band I was very much into when I was in my teenage years. I had to turn it off after 2 songs, though I loved them back in the day, what that evil fucker planned to do has ruined it entirely. The songs I loved are still good but I can never enjoy them again.
I've never heard any LostProphets songs. I remember reading about that evil fucker in the paper though.

The thing is with him is that he was doing his vile shit while the band were selling albums.

With Glitter the songs had been hits years before he became so degenerate.

Both The Clash and The Damned have nods to Glitter in their back catalogue. The Clash sing about him in Clash City Rockers and The Damned steal a riff in Second Time Around from Machine Gun Etiquette.

I still like those Glitter records. Do I play them...no. But if I hear them played by others then I still enjoy them. The Undertones play Rock and Roll Pt. 2 on their Peel sessions.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 34171
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 3:42pm
101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 2:52pm
Very subjective, how good is the music v how bad is the crime. Plus some people do some dumb stuff which they get called out for especially if they have 5 minutes of fame but do you never forgive them for it?
I’m not referring to those that have a career of being a test.
I expect you have heard about the problem with the soundtrack for "The Joker" movie containing Glitters Rock n Roll Pt. 2.

Now I despise what he has done. But I still think that's a great record. But the same time I don't want to see that scumbag earn a penny for it. But like a records there's more than just the singer to consider. The band/producer/engineer all have families that need to eat.
Apparently Glitter sold his rights to it years ago. I still feel uneasy listening to his music because of the nature of his crimes, even though I really like a few tunes of his. I certainly don't put them on voluntarily now. A band I saw played one of his songs in a pub a couple of years back and everyone seemed to enjoy it without any reservations, me included.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Post Reply