Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3729
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by WestwayKid »

Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 1:45pm
The Beach Boys discussion over the past few pages was really interesting — any book recs beyond Catch a Wave?
I liked both Brian's and Mike's recent autobiographies. Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy by Jon Stebbins is pretty good. Becoming the Beach Boys by James Murphy is a solid look at their origin story.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 89495
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 1:45pm
The Beach Boys discussion over the past few pages was really interesting — any book recs beyond Catch a Wave?
Mike Love's memoir is a masterclass in passive aggressive score-settling. This is how everyone has done me wrong and misunderstood me, especially the Wilsons, but I love them. Also, my lyrics are superb. The audio version is preferred because he reads it himself and inserts chuckles that sound as if he'd written laugh here in the text.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 19093
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by JennyB »

The Ramones :cry: :cry: :cry:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15904
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Silent Majority »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 1:59pm
Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 1:45pm
The Beach Boys discussion over the past few pages was really interesting — any book recs beyond Catch a Wave?
I liked both Brian's and Mike's recent autobiographies. Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy by Jon Stebbins is pretty good. Becoming the Beach Boys by James Murphy is a solid look at their origin story.
Hey, he's named like my name.
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46728
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 2:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 1:59pm
Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 1:45pm
The Beach Boys discussion over the past few pages was really interesting — any book recs beyond Catch a Wave?
I liked both Brian's and Mike's recent autobiographies. Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy by Jon Stebbins is pretty good. Becoming the Beach Boys by James Murphy is a solid look at their origin story.
Hey, he's named like my name.
There are many James Murphy's but only one Silent Majority.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3729
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by WestwayKid »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 2:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 1:59pm
Inder wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 1:45pm
The Beach Boys discussion over the past few pages was really interesting — any book recs beyond Catch a Wave?
I liked both Brian's and Mike's recent autobiographies. Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy by Jon Stebbins is pretty good. Becoming the Beach Boys by James Murphy is a solid look at their origin story.
Hey, he's named like my name.
You should have taken credit for the book! :mrgreen:
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 13210
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 2:25pm
The Ramones :cry: :cry: :cry:
This probably hurts the most.

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2050
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I wonder what Joey Ramone would think of Mike Love covering Rockaway Beach? Would he be flattered by the thought but have a problem with the execution? I guess Marky needed the money.



Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53564
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 6:48pm
JennyB wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 2:25pm
The Ramones :cry: :cry: :cry:
This probably hurts the most.
And the first three felt like back to back to back.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46728
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 9:54pm
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 6:48pm
JennyB wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 2:25pm
The Ramones :cry: :cry: :cry:
This probably hurts the most.
And the first three felt like back to back to back.
Yep still gutted.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 19093
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 2:54am
Wolter wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 9:54pm
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 6:48pm
JennyB wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 2:25pm
The Ramones :cry: :cry: :cry:
This probably hurts the most.
And the first three felt like back to back to back.
Yep still gutted.
This is what kills me:
Image
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5190
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by muppet hi fi »

The New York Dolls are one of the dying-est bands ever. And Syl Sylvain is now fighting cancer.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15904
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Silent Majority »

The Original Dixieland Jass Band are all pretty dead.
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46728
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 9:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 2:54am
Wolter wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 9:54pm
revbob wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 6:48pm
JennyB wrote:
26 Aug 2019, 2:25pm
The Ramones :cry: :cry: :cry:
This probably hurts the most.
And the first three felt like back to back to back.
Yep still gutted.
This is what kills me:
Image
Sad.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29280
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 11:47am
The Original Dixieland Jass Band are all pretty dead.
i've spun them a few times in the last couple months. Not really timelessly good music, but historically interesting and listening to pre-electric recordings is sort of a trip.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Post Reply