Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:16am
Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:07am
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:05am
Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:04am
Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 6:17am
watching a documentary on the show a couple of years ago and though I forget the details, I do recall one of the execs making extravagant claims as to the TOTP effect on 7" sales figures. You'd have to say the Clash did pretty well in terms of chart success given the circumstances, not to mention that lack of mainstream radio play that would have been one inevitable consequence of their position. To regularly have broken the top 20 was a testament to just how good those songs were.
That exec wouldn't have been exaggerating. With viewing figures peaking at 19 million in 1979, an appearance could send a record rocketing up the charts. I can understand the Clash not wanting to appear on the show, but to not allow their videos to be shown was bordering on crazy.
Who needs The Clash when you've got Legs & Co. :mrgreen:
I'm convinced there has to be a story about that Legs & Co thing that's never been told. Would TOTP have needed the bands/record co. permission before playing the track on the show? I reckon it was them taking the piss out of the group for their sustained criticism of the show.
No, I don't think they would. London Calling was also used as chart rundown music during its considerable time in the charts.
Have absolutely no recollection of that for some reason. I do recall Roger Daltry's hilarious guest appearance on the show one night though when he made a comment along the lines of "We dont have the Clash but theres some lovely birds here tonight" which may have been a reference to Legs & Co or Pans People or whatever they were called at the time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:27am
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:04am

That exec wouldn't have been exaggerating. With viewing figures peaking at 19 million in 1979, an appearance could send a record rocketing up the charts. I can understand the Clash not wanting to appear on the show, but to not allow their videos to be shown was bordering on crazy.
I'm convinced there has to be a story about that Legs & Co thing that's never been told. Would TOTP have needed the bands/record co. permission before playing the track on the show? I reckon it was them taking the piss out of the group for their sustained criticism of the show.
No, I don't think they would. London Calling was also used as chart rundown music during its considerable time in the charts.
Have absolutely no recollection of that for some reason. I do recall Roger Daltry's hilarious guest appearance on the show one night though when he made a comment along the lines of "We dont have the Clash but theres some lovely birds here tonight" which may have been a reference to Legs & Co or Pans People or whatever they were called at the time.
It was Legs & Co. Pans People were earlier in the 70's.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 6:58am
Could the Clash themselves be thrown into the conversation? They have become unquestionably legendary - their ending still seems so very unsatisfying. What could the line-up of Joe, Mick, Paul and Topper have achieved had they managed to stick together? I've always felt they sounded really good during the Rat Patrol era. Joe's lyric writing was excellent. Mick was pushing ahead fast and furious musically. Did they still have some miles to go or had they run their course and does that make them different per this discussion compared to bands that should have - but never did get off of the ground?
Personally, the answer would be no for me. Sure you could argue they could have done so much more if things hadnt been so fucked up, pretty much from the beginning, but at the same time, they packed so much into their 6/7 years together that their output is still far superior to most bands who had three or even four times their shelf life. The big what if is if they had stepped back after a couple of albums, took an extended break and returned refreshed and ready to push on again. But on another level I feel any band has only so much to say and there are only so many new boundaries you can explore before you just end up going full circle and regurgitating the old material again. The last thing I'd have wanted is for them to stay together just for the sake of it, going through the motions of being a top stadium rock band or whatever it is they would have become. But thats just me really.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:32am
Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:27am
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It was Legs & Co. Pans People were earlier in the 70's.

Oh yeah it was Legs & Co, but didnt think that was the Daltrey episode though it was probably around the same time alright.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

"They got Burton suits, huh, ya' think it's funny
Turnin' rebellion into money" :mrgreen:
Well, they do look a bit like Alex Harvey, anyway :twitch:
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Talking of The Jam, when they were on TOTP one night (Going Underground?) Weller wore a Heinze Tomato soup apron.The next day kids turned up at my and school wearing their Mum’s apron and at other schools all over the country. From memory Weller only did it as a wind up but again it shows how much influence TOTP had on pop culture in UK.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 3:28pm
Talking of The Jam, when they were on TOTP one night (Going Underground?) Weller wore a Heinze Tomato soup apron.The next day kids turned up at my and school wearing their Mum’s apron and at other schools all over the country. From memory Weller only did it as a wind up but again it shows how much influence TOTP had on pop culture in UK.
He had to wear it back to front because of the BBC ban on advertising, but you could still see the logo through the material. Not a man renowned for his humour though, was he? :mrgreen:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 3:44pm
101Walterton wrote:
He had to wear it back to front because of the BBC ban on advertising, but you could still see the logo through the material. Not a man renowned for his humour though, was he? :mrgreen:
Some say it was a nod to The Who’s baked beans but I am sure I read an interview where he said something about people copying everything he did and wanted to see how far it would go. That would be backed up by the fact he chose an apron.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 3:44pm
101Walterton wrote:
Although he comes across as deadpan he is full of humour. If you want me to prove it in two words here goes "Style Council".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
You’re right, I always looked forward to Friday mornings in school for the discussions we’d have on previous nights totp. It was the highlight of the week for a few glorious years.

On a slight tangent I remember the Smiths playing near where I grew up and a few tossers coming into school the next day with branches hanging out of their back pockets.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 4:57pm
101Walterton wrote:
You’re right, I always looked forward to Friday mornings in school for the discussions we’d have on previous nights totp. It was the highlight of the week for a few glorious years.

On a slight tangent I remember the Smiths playing near where I grew up and a few tossers coming into school the next day with branches hanging out of their back pockets.
How charming I expect they were with special branch. I'd been working for a couple of years by the time The Smiths were happening. Still thought they were fantastic against all the shitty chart bands of the time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 5:17pm
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

How charming I expect they were with special branch. I'd been working for a couple of years by the time The Smiths were happening. Still thought they were fantastic against all the shitty chart bands of the time.
Yeah I was in a very small minority in my antipathy to the Smiths. I was a very depressed teenager - maybe there is no other kind - but as opposed to speaking for me I just found the music depressed me even more. Didn’t have a very open minded approach to music back then to be honest, dismissed whole swathes of great stuff on the flimsiest of pretexts.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 5:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yeah I was in a very small minority in my antipathy to the Smiths. I was a very depressed teenager - maybe there is no other kind - but as opposed to speaking for me I just found the music depressed me even more. Didn’t have a very open minded approach to music back then to be honest, dismissed whole swathes of great stuff on the flimsiest of pretexts.
I found Morrissey's lyrics anything but depressing. I found the humour in them to be very tongue-in-cheek or is that hand-in-glove.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I just didn't like his voice. Some great music and songs, just couldn't get past that strangulated moan of his.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 6:08pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

I just didn't like his voice. Some great music and songs, just couldn't get past that strangulated moan of his.
I understand this totally but after years of listening to the Lydon honky donkey I was ready for it. Although these days I wish someone would stangulate the moaning ninny.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia