Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 10:16am
What about INXS when they reformed with that reality show guy? Was that technically a reunion or a continuation? Either way - terrible idea.
The show was kind of fun to watch (though still a tad cringeworthy) because the Ferriss brothers seem like genuinely good guys and passionate about their band. I actually saw that reunion show because my husband is a huge INXS fan. It was...not good. You can't replace a front man like Hutchence. I'm not that big of an INXS fan (I like Shabooh Shoobah, but that's about it), but even I couldn't get past the new lead's lack of charisma. Same with the Doors reunion with that guy from the Cult. Not a huge fan of the Doors, but that guy can't touch Morrison in the charisma department. But then again, i loathe the Cult. So who knows?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 11:37am
even I couldn't get past the new lead's lack of charisma.
They picked a Canadian. They knew what they weren't getting.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The Gang of Four reunion has probably been, on net, a pretty big embarrassment.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 12:21pm
JennyB wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 11:37am
even I couldn't get past the new lead's lack of charisma.
They picked a Canadian. They knew what they weren't getting.
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 1:12pm
Oh definitely. If they had stopped after the tour with the original line-up and that re-recorded album, it would have been satisfying, but the new material, with King and without, has been lacklustre as can be.

On the other hand, when the original four from Killing Joke got back together, the results have been solid.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Some others:

The Proleteriat have gotten back together and (apprently) playing some ripshit good concerts. They put out a great single and are working a full-length. We'll see if that LP is great or embarrassing before a verdict comes in on that one.

The Dead Boys reunion tour was a great live show, but the re-recorded version of Young, Loud and Snotty was awkward at best.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 2:02pm
Flex wrote:
Oh definitely. If they had stopped after the tour with the original line-up and that re-recorded album, it would have been satisfying, but the new material, with King and without, has been lacklustre as can be.

On the other hand, when the original four from Killing Joke got back together, the results have been solid.
Seconded on both.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

That book seems very generous with its assessments of everything after Hard, it seems. I'm not familiar with Mall or Shrinkwrapped, much less Content or whatever else, but it seems like he might just be trolling the reader.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

That book seems very generous with its assessments of everything after Hard, it seems. I'm not familiar with Mall or Shrinkwrapped, much less Content or whatever else, but it seems like he might just be trolling the reader.
Yeah, my eyebrow arched with its praise for all those albums. Shrinkwrapped is the only one that a case can be made for as offering pointed cultural criticism.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Lots of great reunions - Echo, House of Love, Suede, Libertines, MBV, Lush... some great post reunion records/songs from each

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 4:08pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

Yeah, my eyebrow arched with its praise for all those albums. Shrinkwrapped is the only one that a case can be made for as offering pointed cultural criticism.
I kind of like the actual song “Shrinkwrapped,” but no. There’s not much from Hard on (he) that I rate highly.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

All bands should quit after five years.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 7:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

I kind of like the actual song “Shrinkwrapped,” but no. There’s not much from Hard on (he) that I rate highly.
For my money, "I Parade Myself" is the best of the Gang of Two songs, along with "Shrinkwrapped" and "Tattoo."

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 7:27pm
Wolter wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 7:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

For my money, "I Parade Myself" is the best of the Gang of Two songs, along with "Shrinkwrapped" and "Tattoo."
Oh yeah. Those are the best.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 7:21pm
All IMCTers should quit after five years.