Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 12:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 7:06am
I would think going back to very early doo wop would not be far off. Earlier big band jazz groups tended to have names reflective of area they came from. The Ink Spots from early 30s are known as the fathers of doo wop and sold a ton of records, were also once known as the Percolating Puppies so i figure it was something they put some thought into. Though it possibly wasnt until the 50s when backing bands like the crickets and the comets were given recognition that it became a widespread practice. Just loose thoughts really.
Good insight, I have to listen to more doo wop.
I do too. As in you can never listen to enough. I love all those early vocal harmony groups, kind of half doo wop, half r n b like the delta rhythm boys, cathedral quartet. Frank Zappa actually recorded a doo wop album thats more fun than good, bit of doo wop in early beach boys as well.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 2:12pm
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I would think going back to very early doo wop would not be far off. Earlier big band jazz groups tended to have names reflective of area they came from. The Ink Spots from early 30s are known as the fathers of doo wop and sold a ton of records, were also once known as the Percolating Puppies so i figure it was something they put some thought into. Though it possibly wasnt until the 50s when backing bands like the crickets and the comets were given recognition that it became a widespread practice. Just loose thoughts really.
I do too. As in you can never listen to enough. I love all those early vocal harmony groups, kind of half doo wop, half r n b like the delta rhythm boys, cathedral quartet. Frank Zappa actually recorded a doo wop album thats more fun than good, bit of doo wop in early beach boys as well.
Is that the Ruben and the Jets one?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 2:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Thats the one, listened to it a while back out of curiosity and cant say i was bowled over but would be willing to give it another try. Not very clued up on zappa to be honest, probably only time I've ever listened to him.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

there's recording of pre-fame zappa recording more "straight" doo wop, amongst other things. It's mostly not great, but kinda interesting.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 2:33pm
Kory wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 2:26pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Kory wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Thats the one, listened to it a while back out of curiosity and cant say i was bowled over but would be willing to give it another try. Not very clued up on zappa to be honest, probably only time I've ever listened to him.
I've really only heard Hot Rats and Joe's Garage. Really like the former, LOATHE the latter, so I'm sure there's some in-between stuff I might like.

Flex

Post by Flex »

I can't believe you aren't a heavy Zappa guy, Kory. He seems tailor made for you. If you like Hot Rats you should, first, check out the newly released Hot Rats Sessions and then I'd recommend just going through his albums in order (at least his 60s and 70s stuff). He went through so many different phases it's hard to pinpoint just one period you may like. If you want to skip around you may dig Zoot Allures, Waka/Jawaka and maybe something outside his usual canon like The Dub Room Special.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 4:32pm
I can't believe you aren't a heavy Zappa guy, Kory. He seems tailor made for you. If you like Hot Rats you should, first, check out the newly released Hot Rats Sessions and then I'd recommend just going through his albums in order (at least his 60s and 70s stuff). He went through so many different phases it's hard to pinpoint just one period you may like. If you want to skip around you may dig Zoot Allures, Waka/Jawaka and maybe something outside his usual canon like The Dub Room Special.
Zappa is a guy who I both love and am irritated by in equal measure, sometimes in the same album.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Oh and as far as the Zappa doo-wop album: there are two versions out there. The original version and the very out of place 80s re-recorded rhythm section version that was put out when it went on CD.

Zappa was kind of the original George Lucas.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
I didn't like Zappa until someone turned me on to Joe's Garage. I really like those recordings, but still find his catalog hard to dig into because it's so diverse. There is some stuff I really like, some stuff I don't like at all, and some in between.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
Yeah, Joe's Garage poisoned me against him basically, I found it so infuriatingly bad. I'll get to the other stuff some day probably, but that album is a hard hill to climb over.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I got into a Reddit spat last night (yeah, I know...but I was bored) about Ryan Adams. He surprise released a new LP last Friday, his first since the NYT article that halted his career back in February 2019.

For those unfamiliar with the article, he was accused of being a really awful romantic partner (controlling, emotional abusive). They also alleged that he had engaged in sexting with a teenage fan (a claim that was investigated by the FBI, but nothing came of the investigation).

I did put a hold on listening to his music, but in retrospect I think I stopped listening because I felt pressure to do so...both from society and from my partner, who is a big This Is Us/Mandy Moore (Ryan's ex-wife) fan.

Anyway, I did give the new album a spin. I really liked it. I logged into the Ryan Adams subreddit to see what others were saying and I added that I liked the album and that while I found his alleged behavior to be shitty...in this case I was able to separate the art from the artist. It was this comment that set a few people off. They were very quick to jump on me as just another person making excuses for someone else's shitty behavior and that by listening to Ryan Adams' music I was disrespecting the women he disrespected and on and on.

I'm not looking for validation regarding my decision to continue to listen to his music, but I do feel it is possible (in many instances) to separate the artist from their art. John Lennon beat women, yet we still listen to The Beatles. How many underage groupies did David Bowie and Jimmy Page sleep with?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I was almost put in the same position a few years ago when Michael Gira was accused of sexual assault by a musician on his label. Given his lyrics and past persona, it didn't seem implausible in the slightest, which put me in a quandary. It later turned out to be (probably) false—no one else came forward with similar accusations; the accuser's bandmates said she had a history of making false accusations—so I was relieved of making the choice.

That said, I think we all treat music as a hedonistic activity. What's in it for me? We don't listen to artists who are politically virtuous but whose music doesn't appeal. It's great when things sync up, but when push comes to shove we act in our own interests. It's a rare person who will actually stop listening to their favourite artist because of a political or moral dispute because it's hard to see how our enjoyment is also validation of their awful behaviour or values. We can work it thru intellectually, but on a gut level it's harder to see. If I listen to Pink Floyd, am I endorsing Roger Waters' anti-semitism? Would listening to Grimes be support for Elon Musk's ego-maniacal corporate feudalism? You can trace a line, but it often becomes so removed as to be silly.

So, we all separate art from artist in various degrees, and we make choices on when we can't. Given that listening to music is already drenched in hedonism, I can't condemn people for not making morality-driven choices if I don't have the same affection for the music.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

I've stopped listening to an artist here or there who turned out to be bad people when I only sort of marginally liked their music anyways - Ryan Adams actually being a perfect example here (no offense). But, yeah, I'm not sure a red line truly exists where an artists behavior is so heinous that I would stop listening to them if I liked them enough. I mean, I listen Phil Spector's christmas album every year.

I also think time might be a factor. It can feel more pressing not to consume the output of an abuser who is both creating and abusing in real time versus stuff that happened in the hazier past where justice has been meted out or, at the least, your consumption of the music may not be actually making an artists bad behavior possible to continue or something.

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I don't know much about art such as painting, etc. (but I know what I like). Do people shun a certain artist because of bad behavior?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 1:08pm
Hello,

I don't know much about art such as painting, etc. (but I know what I like). Do people shun a certain artist because of bad behavior?
People marvel at the Saturn V that put a man on the moon. Yet the same fucker invented the V2 which killed some of my relatives in WWII.

I am fascinated and amazed by the moon landing and love the very idea of it.....and yet.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia