Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 7:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 5:45pm
revbob wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 5:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 5:03pm
gkbill wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 3:57pm
Does anyone else know this man as Murray the cop?
Not the character who I primarily think of, but yes. The Odd Couple was definitely the better sitcom.
Been years since ive seen it but I used to love that show.
Klugman and Randall had a rare chemistry. I watched syndicated episodes a couple years ago and was a bit aghast at the crude racial humour, but those two still made watching worthwhile.
The only one I can recall was when there was the Native American college football player from Alaska. Even as a young kid I thought some of those jokes were wrong/dumb. Although I dont remember anything specific about them. Was there other stuff? It was a pretty white cast as I recall.
That's definitely one. Another one that stands out had Jack Soo as a Chinese wrestler. That was filthy with awful stereotyped jokes that didn't seem that far removed from vaudeville.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 4:36pm
WestwayKid wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 2:50pm
Not really a question...more of an opinion...but recently read an article about Badfinger. Turns out they have a local connection. In the early 80's - the remnants of the band were lured to my hometown of Milwaukee by a shady promoter. He promised them gigs and a new lease on their career - but there were no gigs (at least not any decent gigs) and they more or less were trapped in the suburb of Hales Corners - living in a model home that did not contain any furniture. They didn't have the money to fly back to England. They (especially Tom Evans) spent many nights drinking in a bar I've frequented on occasion. Kind of crazy to think of those guys stuck mere miles from my home.

Here's a clip from a local access station in Milwaukee:

They went from hanging out with the Beatles to singing on stage with a character named Tolouse NoNeck in Wisconsin...

https://www.milwaukeemag.com/PrisonersofRocknRoll/
I like Badfinger. Their story has to be one of the saddest in rock 'n' roll history.
I knew the hits growing up...but it wasn't until I got a little older that I took a deep dive into their catalog and it's really good stuff. The albums they did for Apple contained the hits...but I really like their overlooked Warner Brother's output. 1974's Wish You Were Here is simply fantastic. Great songs, great playing, great production from Chris Thomas. It's an album that should have been a hit. I think this is what the Beatles might have sounded like had they stuck around - not the schlock of Jeff Lynne - but the tight power pop of Badfinger. Airwaves from 1979 is another lost classic - Pete Ham was gone by that point - but Molland and Evans pulled it back together to create a really good record. Just a sadly lost band and yes - their story is easily one of the saddest in rock history.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 3:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 3:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
In the early 80's - the remnants of the band were lured to my hometown of Milwaukee by a shady promoter. He promised them gigs and a new lease on their career - but there were no gigs (at least not any decent gigs)
Interesting fact. Al Molinaro was born and raised in Kenosha, Wisconsin - about 40 miles south of Milwaukee!
And about 40 miles north of where I live!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 7:57pm
revbob wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 7:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 5:45pm
revbob wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 5:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 5:03pm

Not the character who I primarily think of, but yes. The Odd Couple was definitely the better sitcom.
Been years since ive seen it but I used to love that show.
Klugman and Randall had a rare chemistry. I watched syndicated episodes a couple years ago and was a bit aghast at the crude racial humour, but those two still made watching worthwhile.
The only one I can recall was when there was the Native American college football player from Alaska. Even as a young kid I thought some of those jokes were wrong/dumb. Although I dont remember anything specific about them. Was there other stuff? It was a pretty white cast as I recall.
That's definitely one. Another one that stands out had Jack Soo as a Chinese wrestler. That was filthy with awful stereotyped jokes that didn't seem that far removed from vaudeville.
Now I want to watch Barney Miller.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 1:42pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
In the early 80's - the remnants of the band were lured to my hometown of Milwaukee by a shady promoter. He promised them gigs and a new lease on their career - but there were no gigs (at least not any decent gigs)
Interesting fact. Al Molinaro was born and raised in Kenosha, Wisconsin - about 40 miles south of Milwaukee!
We'll have to meet in the middle on of these days!
220px-Mars_Cheese_Castle_sign.jpg
220px-Mars_Cheese_Castle_sign.jpg (17.83 KiB) Viewed 2813 times

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 1:56pm
Wolter wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 1:42pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
We'll have to meet in the middle on of these days!

220px-Mars_Cheese_Castle_sign.jpg
I’m not even going to pretend I haven’t gotten a six of spotted cow and some very old cheddar there more than once.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 2:17pm
I’m not even going to pretend I haven’t gotten a six of spotted cow and some very old cheddar there more than once.
I choose to read that as a really gross and smutty euphemism.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 2:25pm
Wolter wrote:
I choose to honor your choice by waggling my eyebrows.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 2:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 2:25pm
Wolter wrote:
I choose to honor your choice by waggling my eyebrows.
There's generally some pretty old cheddar sitting in the bar at the Cheese Castle... :mrgreen:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I watched some very early Happy Days episodes recently and had to stop it was so cringeworthy. Has not aged well at all.
And I was a huge fan back in the day :disshame:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 3:53pm
I watched some very early Happy Days episodes recently and had to stop it was so cringeworthy. Has not aged well at all.
And I was a huge fan back in the day :disshame:
It was a big thing back in 70's. You dared not miss an episode otherwise you had nothing to discuss in the playground the next day. I lot count on how many times you would hear "sit on it!" or "aaaaaaay".

Looking back now on just how many US Tv shows we imported here in the U.K. it makes more sense of the lyrics to "I'm So Bored with the U.S.A. even though The Clash changed tact over the lyrics as it suited them. Those early lyrics are awful and spiteful.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 82-157108/

What lost/never released recording would you do almost anything (or maybe anything) to get your hands on? A few of the recordings on this list might have been released since the article was written - I just sort of skimmed it. The Gouster, for instance (which I thought wasn't as good as Young Americans).

An officially released version of Rat Patrol is probably on most of our lists...but what else?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

In before Marky can claim the re-recorded version of First Issue that PiL did for Warners. Also, more songs from the sessions that PiL did in the late 80s re-recording older songs (all we got was "Religion" and "The Suit").

Also, in the early 2000s, Wire recorded some material with Steve Albini (versions of already available songs, I believe) that they decided were shit and chose to sit on. Whether or not that's the case, I'd still love to hear them

edit: Also The Beatles "Carnival of Light." I'm sure it's unlistenable garbage, but some bands demand such completism.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Besides Rat Patrol, there's a ton of Bob stuff still in the vaults I'd love - and with his bootleg series, a lot will probably end up out there. The Dylan/Cash sessions from the article are but one example (and not necessarily the best). There's a major reclamation project to be had delving into his 80s/early 90s studio and live material.

The Beach Boys Adult/Child is a good call from the article as well. And the stuff they did with Charles Manson. :shifty:

Black Flag's 1982 sessions NEED to get a real release someday. And by someone who can actually clean them up properly (i.e. no one affiliated with SST).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 2:26pm
Besides Rat Patrol, there's a ton of Bob stuff still in the vaults I'd love - and with his bootleg series, a lot will probably end up out there. The Dylan/Cash sessions from the article are but one example (and not necessarily the best). There's a major reclamation project to be had delving into his 80s/early 90s studio and live material.

The Beach Boys Adult/Child is a good call from the article as well. And the stuff they did with Charles Manson. :shifty:

Black Flag's 1982 sessions NEED to get a real release someday. And by someone who can actually clean them up properly (i.e. no one affiliated with SST).
"Life Is for the Living" is one of the most over-the-top insane things the BB ever recorded. Sure, they got weirder (My Solution, anyone?)...but this track is so perfect in the sense that it probably perfectly sums up Brian Wilson in 1977. The Dick Reynolds "big band" arrangement! I love it! Not quite so fond of the version of Hey Little Tomboy with the creepy banter towards the end.