Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Heston »

I had no big brother to guide me, hence me getting into a load of shitty heavy metal bands and KISS. I had discover bands like The Clash and the Jam through hearing their records at youth club discos and on jukeboxes.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:15pm
JennyB wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:13pm
My brother helped me discover a lot of great stuff, but then he became a Deadhead. So I had to kill him.
I can understand becoming a Deadhead back in the 60s—people got fucked up and latched on to all kinds of weird things in the spirit of the times. But there is no acceptable reason for anyone born after, say, 1963 to find that stuff palatable.
Agreed. But he was Jewish frat boy, so he was doomed from the beginning.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
My brother helped me discover a lot of great stuff, but then he became a Deadhead. So I had to kill him.
I can understand becoming a Deadhead back in the 60s—people got fucked up and latched on to all kinds of weird things in the spirit of the times. But there is no acceptable reason for anyone born after, say, 1963 to find that stuff palatable.
Agreed. But he was Jewish frat boy, so he was doomed from the beginning.
One of many, many reasons why to loathe frats.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Two sources for me, neither of which had much to do with getting into punk specifically:

1. My old man. VORACIOUS music lover, I grew up around stacks and stacks of records, cassettes, etc. As a kid, he had pretty traditional (but mostly respectable) boomer dad music tastes: classic rock, some folk and whatnot. Fell out of new music in the 80s when me and my sis entered the picture but he (and my mom) were always very supportive of musical exploration and discovery. He's a yard sale trawler as well, so he was/is always bringing home music by the box and just sifting through what's there. And as some of my youthful musical puritanism has fallen away, his broad embrace of music has certainly emerged as a greater and greater influence. And it's been funny seeing him get into a bunch of 80s/90s/00s stuff as CDs can be bough at yard sales for pennies on the dollar. He was listening to REM and Sinead O'Connor in the car the other day and it was like, lol wut?

He was also always up for taking me (and my sis) to whatever concerts we wanted, which is huge - especially since we lived an hour and a half from Denver, so he instilled a major love of live concerts in me that I definitely still have. He's still one of my main concert buddies, he's typically up to see just about anything and anyone live, so we catch a fair number of shows together a year.

2. My older cousin. Again, not so much about getting into punk specifically, but as I was discovering music he was always happy to turn me onto what he was listening to. A few years older than me, he trended much more into Gen X musical tastes with his musical orientation more around 80s and early 90s musical trends. He was big into ska and swing in the 90s too, which definitely helped my enjoyment of those fads (and their gateway effects into punk and rockabilly). For those who know the comps (I think I shared them here some years ago), he was the one who turned me onto the WBCN Naked disc series, and 'BCN of that era is probably as good a barometer for his taste as anything. Without him I could have definitely ended up with a more typically millenial view of pop culture oriented towards late 90s/early aughts cultural programming (as opposed to the more ironic and self-loathing relationship I have with that stuff now). He's also largely to blame for my Dave Matthews Band thing tho, so keep that in mind.

And, of course, there's almost an unquantifiable amount of influence that this place - and you all - have had on me over the years.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
When they had their 50th anniversary back in 2015...I mentioned on Facebook that maybe it was time I give their music a try. Not sure why I said it...I'll blame going through a divorce and probably too much drink...but I had several friends get super excited. It's like they were all thinking, "Awesome! Here's someone we can convert" and within days I was getting recommendations of which eras I should get into and they were sending concert recording after concert recording. I actually tried to get into it...but I just couldn't. They have a handful of okay songs...but I don't think I'll ever understand the adulation they continue to get...which is even crazier they now have fans who were not even alive when Jerry Garcia died!?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:33pm
And, of course, there's almost an unquantifiable amount of influence that this place - and you all - have had on me over the years.
Thanks x
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:50pm
Thanks x
Hoyston has taught me that no matter how bad my music tastes get, I've never really truly hit rock bottom. It's sort of liberating.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
When they had their 50th anniversary back in 2015...I mentioned on Facebook that maybe it was time I give their music a try. Not sure why I said it...I'll blame going through a divorce and probably too much drink...but I had several friends get super excited. It's like they were all thinking, "Awesome! Here's someone we can convert" and within days I was getting recommendations of which eras I should get into and they were sending concert recording after concert recording. I actually tried to get into it...but I just couldn't. They have a handful of okay songs...but I don't think I'll ever understand the adulation they continue to get...which is even crazier they now have fans who were not even alive when Jerry Garcia died!?
I could not name one Grateful Dead song if you had a gun at my head, let alone hum one.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

My parents were not really big influences. Despite being teenagers in the late-60's...they never really got into music. The one thing I did pick up from them was a love for singer-songwriters: James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, Willie Nelson, Cat Stevens and stuff like that. That was kind of their jam in the 70's...but by the time I was growing up they really didn't have any discernible interest in music.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:52pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I could not name one Grateful Dead song if you had a gun at my head, let alone hum one.
We have a bar in Milwaukee that is owned by Deadheads. Walls covered in posters and always some long winded concert tape playing. I guess if you're drunk enough maybe hearing a 40 minute version of Dark Star from 10/3/76 at the Oakland Coliseum won't damage your ears...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
You probably know that surprise hit, "Touch of Grey," from the late 80s.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

My dad was the person in my life that was really into music when I was growing up. Lots of Tower of Power, EWF, MFSB, which accounts for my interest in funk and soul, but everything else is all on me. I spent a year or so exploring things like mainstream hard rock and metal, when I saw a kid two grades above me wearing a NOFX shirt. I started there just out of curiosity, and then 90s skate punk led to 70s UK punk, and the Clash branched me off to all the other genres.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 2:13pm
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Nope.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:24pm
I had no big brother to guide me, hence me getting into a load of shitty heavy metal bands and KISS. I had discover bands like The Clash and the Jam through hearing their records at youth club discos and on jukeboxes.
I am the oldest in my family so no big brother here well it's me obviously. My mum had a few things that I liked (stole) when I was a little kid, stuff like The Sweet/The Kinks/Small faces and the odd Beatles single. But my music tastes were inspired by being bored and fucking around with an reel to reel tape machine that was the size of a tank. I would record through an open mike stuff from the radio and not liking much stuff. The Yardbirds "Evil Hearted You" was my first single (still got it) and I loved that and then a bit of glam Slade/Sweet/Glitter etc and then when punk came along it reminded me of that Yardbirds single just sped up a touch and I love most punk stuff and there were so many great/fun bands to enjoy. However initially I believed all the punk year zero bullshit but that soon changed and I think the biggest influence on my music education was when bands covered an old song and I would check the songwriters and research record shops and books to find the originals. This is how I got into some great 50s Rock 'n' Roll/Blues and the 60s Psychedelic bands like 13th Floor Elevators/Electric Prunes/Shadows of Knight and through to the MC5/Doll/Iggy/Doors etc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 2:13pm
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Nope.
There's no mention of UK charts in their discography, so they must not have ever had any kind of chart success. "Uncle John's Band" is the only other song of theirs that I know, my stepbro played it a lot.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.