Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 7:44pm
Kory wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 7:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 6:37pm
WestwayKid wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 6:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 5:49pm

How long have you been waiting to work that into a conversation?
I never would have thought this thread would ever get to the point where a sentence like that was written! :mrgreen:
Son, this is IMCT. This is what we do.
It's been a long while since Huey was brought up around here.
I feel like there is a joke here - but I'm too tired to make it right now! :mrgreen:
Yeah it’s been coming for a while.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 4:48pm
JennyB wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 4:14pm
Kory wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 3:59pm
JennyB wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 2:02pm
WestwayKid wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 2:01pm

Agree on this one. He's always been a pretty cool looking dude - but that look was awful. I guess I blame the era - but he comes across as looking like a small time truck stop dealer selling meth outside of Tulsa.
That's one way of putting one of the two guys I'd leave my husband for, but OK. :mrgreen:
The other is Paul Giamatti right? Or am I thinking of a different friend?
No, lol. Though I have proclaimed my love for Steve Buscemi. But he's not the other one.
David Lee Roth?
:yuck:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 9:35am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 2:02pm

That's one way of putting one of the two guys I'd leave my husband for, but OK. :mrgreen:
No, lol. Though I have proclaimed my love for Steve Buscemi. But he's not the other one.
David Lee Roth?
Gary Cherone?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 9:38am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:

David Lee Roth?
Gary Cherone?
:yuck: :yuck:
Got a Rake? Sure!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 11:57am
This week, it’s time for a little musical revisionism. If you could fix/improve a “flawed” album – what would you do? I was just listening to “End of the Century” by the Ramones and realizing I like it a lot more than I ever thought I did – but I’m sorry – the cover of Baby, I Love You just doesn’t work. Having the “deluxe” version – there are a few demos that would have worked better. It’s never going to be one of their best albums – but coming on the heels of their “classic” first 4 albums – it’s not bad – but that cover just kills the flow.
No one here gives a shit about the band, but if you replaced Chillout Tent with the b-side Girls Like Status on The Hold Steady's "Boys and Girls in America," you'd have pretty much an infallible record. Also, and i'm going to a low place here, if you replaced all the stupid non-Rivers songs and the woeful "Heart Songs" from Weezer's 2008 Red Album with the three really good "bonus songs" "Pig", "Miss Sweeney", and "The Spider," you'd change a very flawed album to easily their best post-Pinkerton album.

Also, "Baby I Love You" makes total sense in context of the album. It's a Spector produced album by a band heavily influenced by Spector. I legit Spector cover seems completely logical.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 10:04am
WestwayKid wrote:
This week, it’s time for a little musical revisionism. If you could fix/improve a “flawed” album – what would you do? I was just listening to “End of the Century” by the Ramones and realizing I like it a lot more than I ever thought I did – but I’m sorry – the cover of Baby, I Love You just doesn’t work. Having the “deluxe” version – there are a few demos that would have worked better. It’s never going to be one of their best albums – but coming on the heels of their “classic” first 4 albums – it’s not bad – but that cover just kills the flow.
No one here gives a shit about the band, but if you replaced Chillout Tent with the b-side Girls Like Status on The Hold Steady's "Boys and Girls in America," you'd have pretty much an infallible record. Also, and i'm going to a low place here, if you replaced all the stupid non-Rivers songs and the woeful "Heart Songs" from Weezer's 2008 Red Album with the three really good "bonus songs" "Pig", "Miss Sweeney", and "The Spider," you'd change a very flawed album to easily their best post-Pinkerton album.

Also, "Baby I Love You" makes total sense in context of the album. It's a Spector produced album by a band heavily influenced by Spector. I legit Spector cover seems completely logical.
This is a really good album!

I get what you're saying about the song making sense in context of the album - just still such a jarring change in sound from the rest of the album.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 10:36am
matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I get what you're saying about the song making sense in context of the album - just still such a jarring change in sound from the rest of the album.
That's a fair point, but "Danny Says" is a softer song as well. Those two aren't similar, but they aren't the typical Ramones sound.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 9:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

David Lee Roth?
Gary Cherone?
Well, I'm running out of counter-Hagars!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 10:48am
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

That's a fair point, but "Danny Says" is a softer song as well. Those two aren't similar, but they aren't the typical Ramones sound.
Good point about Danny Says and I've thought about that track since I started this discussion. It definitely goes away from the traditional Ramones sound - something you could hear them getting into on Road to Ruin - trying to expand their sound. They always felt like a band that struggled to move beyond their original formula.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 11:05am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

David Lee Roth?
Gary Cherone?
Counter Hagar is my new drag king name.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 12:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Gary Cherone?
I am equal parts intrigued and unsettled.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 12:49pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Gary Cherone?
I just kind of feel bad for drag kings. They don't have a leader like RuPaul. They don't have their own award winning shows like RuPaul's Drag Race. Basically, I just feel bad for anyone who is not RuPaul.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 11:49am
matedog wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 10:48am
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Good point about Danny Says and I've thought about that track since I started this discussion. It definitely goes away from the traditional Ramones sound - something you could hear them getting into on Road to Ruin - trying to expand their sound. They always felt like a band that struggled to move beyond their original formula.
Nah not for me they and especially Joey loved 60's bubblegum pop. Ramones: "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend", Leave Home: "Oh Oh I Love Her So", Rocket to Russia: "Locket Love", Road to Ruin: "Don't Come Close" each of their albums up to "End of the Century" had a softer pop song. "Baby, I Love You" was such a brilliant song it was like it was written for them. They really should've covered the Bay City Rollers "Bye, Bye, Baby" as they were Rollers fans. Also "The Blitzkrieg Bop" is a nod title wise to The Sweet's "The Ballroom Blitz".

Oh and I'll just post this here.
Attachments
Joey.jpg
Joey.jpg (42.38 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
Last edited by Marky Dread on 08 Aug 2018, 1:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 12:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I just kind of feel bad for drag kings. They don't have a leader like RuPaul. They don't have their own award winning shows like RuPaul's Drag Race. Basically, I just feel bad for anyone who is not RuPaul.
Drag kings are so comfortable with their way of life that they don't need leaders or promotion. They have achieved what we all aspire to. :ugeek:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 1:22pm
JennyB wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 12:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Drag kings are so comfortable with their way of life that they don't need leaders or promotion. They have achieved what we all aspire to. :ugeek:
OK. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!