Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by JoseUnidos »

JennyB wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 11:28am
JoseUnidos wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 9:50pm
Sometime in the late 1980s I sat between two dudes from 38 Special on a flight between San Juan, Puerto Rico and Baltimore. We chatted briefly about hamburgers before I put on my walkman & blasted Husker Du for the rest of the flight.

I nodded to Gregg Allman when I passed him on the sidewalk walking home from work a couple of years ago.

I once pet a dog that was in an REM video.
This is my favorite post so far.
Thanks! I'm seriously considering having the REM dog thing engraved on my headstone (it's either that or "I once totaled a bookmobile"), and I'm trying to persuade Mrs. Unidos to have "I stole beer from INXS" engraved on hers.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

JoseUnidos wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 2:31pm
JennyB wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
Sometime in the late 1980s I sat between two dudes from 38 Special on a flight between San Juan, Puerto Rico and Baltimore. We chatted briefly about hamburgers before I put on my walkman & blasted Husker Du for the rest of the flight.

I nodded to Gregg Allman when I passed him on the sidewalk walking home from work a couple of years ago.

Thanks! I'm seriously considering having the REM dog thing engraved on my headstone (it's either that or "I once totaled a bookmobile"), and I'm trying to persuade Mrs. Unidos to have "I stole beer from INXS" engraved on hers.
That's a story I would like to hear, please.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

JennyB wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 2:32pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
JennyB wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:

The story isn't quite as good as the tagline - kym & some college friends managed to sneak into an INXS concert afterparty at the Ritz hotel in Phila. sometime in the mid 1980s. They didn't hang out w/ the band (who were in the same room but mobbed by professional working girls) but instead grabbed a case of beer & did a runner before security could chase them out.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

JoseUnidos wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 3:18pm
JennyB wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
JennyB wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:

The story isn't quite as good as the tagline - kym & some college friends managed to sneak into an INXS concert afterparty at the Ritz hotel in Phila. sometime in the mid 1980s. They didn't hang out w/ the band (who were in the same room but mobbed by professional working girls) but instead grabbed a case of beer & did a runner before security could chase them out.
That's hysterical.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I forgot. I met Frank Black last summer and he was an asshole. He looked like this:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 4:39pm
I forgot. I met Frank Black last summer and he was an asshole. He looked like this:
Yeah but which one of the oompa loompa's is you. I can't see any wearing a meat is murder t-shirt.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I had a brief chat with Mojo Nixon in the mens room of Club Toast. At leadt one of us was drunk.

Chatted with Dick Dale after a show. Nice guy.

Billy Bragg, after a gig, I forget what we talked about. Nice guy.

Ice T was on the same flight as me once. He was in coach. He got on the plane, sat down and pulled his ball cap down and went to sleep. The flight attendants were talking about Ice Cube or some other Ice but not Ice T.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:

Mine too. :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JoseUnidos wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 3:18pm
JennyB wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
JennyB wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:

The story about Joe meeting INXS around this same period is pretty classic, as well.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 2:42pm
I forgot to add Lars from Rancid. I met him in Belfast at another gig. Another great bloke who was only too happy to chat. I've been lucky that most of the musicians I've met have been great. The only exception was Rick Buckler from the Jam who was a bit of a miserable twat.
I met Lars at a movie theater. We were both going to see that mediocre Halloween remake. He was a cool guy and I got him to leave a funny voicemail for Matt Patrol.

I've met a number over the years and don't really have any bad stories. I was disappointed I didn't get to meet Marky Ramone after his Andrew WK show at a small venue in SF a few years back. After he left the venue, he made a dash right to the fan with some girls. Seemed...kinda lame.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Oh yeah, I helped the lead singer of REO Speedwagon move furniture once.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 10:35am
Which is fantastic because of (a) the weirdness of the event and (b) the "hey, you're that guy from that thing" quality of the person.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 11:37am

I met the guys from Live, but that's not cool.
Jelly.
JennyB wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 11:37am
I was in an elevator with the guy from Poison and a groupie and laughed.
That reminded me that I met the drummer from Poison at LAX once. He seemed nice enough and I told him I've covered his parts before. I made the joke to my sister that if you see a 1988 Ferrari leaving the airport, you'll know who it is.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 10:42am
matedog wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 10:35am
Which is fantastic because of (a) the weirdness of the event and (b) the "hey, you're that guy from that thing" quality of the person.
I think I've told the story before, but he lived in the same town as me and a friend was neighbors with him. Me and Matt Patrol were trying to get things going with our band and the friend offered to get us in touch with him to give us "career advice." He basically told us to do a three song demo, not a four song demo and then we moved his couch.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 7:04pm

Ice T was on the same flight as me once. He was in coach. He got on the plane, sat down and pulled his ball cap down and went to sleep. The flight attendants were talking about Ice Cube or some other Ice but not Ice T.
Ice T was filming in my office in New York a few years ago and I rode the elevator with him. I said I was a fan and my mom was not happy with the cover of Power. We fist bumped. The end.