Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 2:13pm
Heston wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:52pm
WestwayKid wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 1:15pm

I can understand becoming a Deadhead back in the 60s—people got fucked up and latched on to all kinds of weird things in the spirit of the times. But there is no acceptable reason for anyone born after, say, 1963 to find that stuff palatable.
When they had their 50th anniversary back in 2015...I mentioned on Facebook that maybe it was time I give their music a try. Not sure why I said it...I'll blame going through a divorce and probably too much drink...but I had several friends get super excited. It's like they were all thinking, "Awesome! Here's someone we can convert" and within days I was getting recommendations of which eras I should get into and they were sending concert recording after concert recording. I actually tried to get into it...but I just couldn't. They have a handful of okay songs...but I don't think I'll ever understand the adulation they continue to get...which is even crazier they now have fans who were not even alive when Jerry Garcia died!?
I could not name one Grateful Dead song if you had a gun at my head, let alone hum one.
You probably know that surprise hit, "Touch of Grey," from the late 80s.
Nope.
Lucky you. A crappy song that got an absurd amount of airplay because, I'm sure, it would appeal to middle-aged Boomers. It would be like if Journey suddenly had a new hit—something that would make asshole Xers pay attention to the charts because it's something from their youth.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I can understand becoming a Deadhead back in the 60s—people got fucked up and latched on to all kinds of weird things in the spirit of the times. But there is no acceptable reason for anyone born after, say, 1963 to find that stuff palatable.
When they had their 50th anniversary back in 2015...I mentioned on Facebook that maybe it was time I give their music a try. Not sure why I said it...I'll blame going through a divorce and probably too much drink...but I had several friends get super excited. It's like they were all thinking, "Awesome! Here's someone we can convert" and within days I was getting recommendations of which eras I should get into and they were sending concert recording after concert recording. I actually tried to get into it...but I just couldn't. They have a handful of okay songs...but I don't think I'll ever understand the adulation they continue to get...which is even crazier they now have fans who were not even alive when Jerry Garcia died!?
I could not name one Grateful Dead song if you had a gun at my head, let alone hum one.
Nope.
Me neither I've never bothered to check them out. But maybe I should because I expect there will something of theirs I would like in a catalog so huge.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Their ambivalence or even distaste for the Dead partially makes up for their Oasis/Robbie Williams obsessions.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

My brother is 4 years older than me and worked at his college radio station (c.1977-1979) so he should have been a point of discovery of new music for me, but he wasn't - he was more into Boston, Supertramp, and Billy Joel. I didn't find good music until college when a few of my dorm-mates introduced me to punk rock and beyond.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 2:32pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Nope.
Me neither I've never bothered to check them out. But maybe I should because I expect there will something of theirs I would like in a catalog so huge.
I've tried a couple of times to get into the Dead but I just can't connect with it, especially the live stuff. To my ears it's just lazy music.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 2:34pm
Their ambivalence or even distaste for the Dead partially makes up for their Oasis/Robbie Williams obsessions.
My feelings about those two are well documented here. It was as if this nation was infected by some collective madness in the latter half of the Nineties.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Nope.

I think this was probably the first time I ever heard the Dead.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 2:51pm
matedog wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 2:34pm
My feelings about those two are well documented here. It was as if this nation was infected by some collective madness in the latter half of the Nineties.
Blame Diana for getting in the car.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 2:32pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Nope.
Yeah, there is some interesting stuff in their catalog...it just takes some effort to find it!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 3:03pm
Yeah, there is some interesting stuff in their catalog...it just takes some effort to find it!
I'm on record as being in favor of their first couple of albums and early live material. Anyone who's a fan of psych-rock will probably find something of value in their early days. Can't really vouch for 95% of their career, though.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 3:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 3:03pm
I'm on record as being in favor of their first couple of albums and early live material. Anyone who's a fan of psych-rock will probably find something of value in their early days. Can't really vouch for 95% of their career, though.
I like their American Beauty/Working Class Dead era.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The best thing I can say about the Grateful Dead is that they warned the Altamont organizers that hiring Hell's Angels was an awful idea for the exact reasons as what transpired.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 3:36pm
The best thing I can say about the Grateful Dead is that they warned the Altamont organizers that hiring Hell's Angels was an awful idea for the exact reasons as what transpired.
maybe if they weren't a bunch of no-account filthy hippies, the organizers would have listened. Jerry Garcia is ultimately responsible for Altamont, when you think about it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 3:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 3:36pm
maybe if they weren't a bunch of no-account filthy hippies, the organizers would have listened. Jerry Garcia is ultimately responsible for Altamont, when you think about it.
And here I've been blaming Mike Love all these years.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I wish I could say I never heard the Dead, but my hometown is loaded with hippie college students.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"