Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 11:22pm
Low Down Low wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 4:25pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 4:16pm
Low Down Low wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 4:10pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 3:38pm

I’m surprised to hear Generals and Majors didn’t make top 30. It would be interesting to know how many copies it sold though as Marky said there were a lot of great singles in competition at that time.
Can’t answer that but looking at the chart does bring back alright how much great music was around at that time. Up to 80/81 was the high point I think until the new romantic stuff began to dilute the quality too much. Still G&M is minimum top 5 in any world I’d be proud to live in.
Even more surprising Towers Of London didn’t make Top 30 either which I’d have thought was their biggest hit.
Senses’ made #10 and Sgt Rock #16.
Bit like Skids for me, in that I remember them too as a big band but they didn’t have as much success as my memory suggests to me. Working for the yankee dollar is a surefire No.1 for me but just about broke the top 20.
The Skids were/are fantastic. Loads of T.O.T.P's performances (missed a huge trick here / The Clash).

13 singles released 10 out 13 charted with 3 top 20's and 2 just outside the top 30.

Charles - Their first independent (No Bad records) release bfore they signed for the Virgin dollar.
The Saints are Coming - No. 48 later covered by U2/Green Day and made No. 1 in 2006.
Into the Valley - No. 10 what a brilliant single.
Masquerade - No. 14
Charade - No. 31
Working for the Yankee Dollar - No. 20
Animation - No. 56
Circus Games - No. 32
Goodbye Civilian - No. 52
Woman in Winter - No. 49

Stuart Adamson leaves the band two further singles released but fail to chart. I didn't like those last couple of singles or the album "Joy" at the time but listening recently it's pretty decent it just was not the same rebel rousing anthemic Skids we wanted.
Fields - Didn't chart
Iona - Didn't chart

Well al I can say is "Albert Tatlock were fucking proud of him".

The Skids just one of many incredible bands from that period. We were truly spoiled.
Just on the TOTP thing, have said before I'm an admirer of the Clash stance on it, though I do perfectly see the counter argument. I remember watching a documentary on the show a couple of years ago and though I forget the details, I do recall one of the execs making extravagant claims as to the TOTP effect on 7" sales figures. You'd have to say the Clash did pretty well in terms of chart success given the circumstances, not to mention that lack of mainstream radio play that would have been one inevitable consequence of their position. To regularly have broken the top 20 was a testament to just how good those songs were.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Could the Clash themselves be thrown into the conversation? They have become unquestionably legendary - their ending still seems so very unsatisfying. What could the line-up of Joe, Mick, Paul and Topper have achieved had they managed to stick together? I've always felt they sounded really good during the Rat Patrol era. Joe's lyric writing was excellent. Mick was pushing ahead fast and furious musically. Did they still have some miles to go or had they run their course and does that make them different per this discussion compared to bands that should have - but never did get off of the ground?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 6:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Can’t answer that but looking at the chart does bring back alright how much great music was around at that time. Up to 80/81 was the high point I think until the new romantic stuff began to dilute the quality too much. Still G&M is minimum top 5 in any world I’d be proud to live in.
Even more surprising Towers Of London didn’t make Top 30 either which I’d have thought was their biggest hit.
Bit like Skids for me, in that I remember them too as a big band but they didn’t have as much success as my memory suggests to me. Working for the yankee dollar is a surefire No.1 for me but just about broke the top 20.
The Skids were/are fantastic. Loads of T.O.T.P's performances (missed a huge trick here / The Clash).

13 singles released 10 out 13 charted with 3 top 20's and 2 just outside the top 30.

Charles - Their first independent (No Bad records) release bfore they signed for the Virgin dollar.
The Saints are Coming - No. 48 later covered by U2/Green Day and made No. 1 in 2006.
Masquerade - No. 14
Charade - No. 31
Animation - No. 56
Circus Games - No. 32
Woman in Winter - No. 49

Stuart Adamson leaves the band two further singles released but fail to chart. I didn't like those last couple of singles or the album "Joy" at the time but listening recently it's pretty decent it just was not the same rebel rousing anthemic Skids we wanted.
Fields - Didn't chart
Iona - Didn't chart

The Skids just one of many incredible bands from that period. We were truly spoiled.
Just on the TOTP thing, have said before I'm an admirer of the Clash stance on it, though I do perfectly see the counter argument. I remember watching a documentary on the show a couple of years ago and though I forget the details, I do recall one of the execs making extravagant claims as to the TOTP effect on 7" sales figures. You'd have to say the Clash did pretty well in terms of chart success given the circumstances, not to mention that lack of mainstream radio play that would have been one inevitable consequence of their position. To regularly have broken the top 20 was a testament to just how good those songs were.
I too can admire the stance of not wanting to mime on a old Tv program and I have no problem with that. But (and it's a fucking big but) why make promo videos for your songs if you have a problem with miming. All this did was deny Clash fans of a certain age from getting exposure to the band. I remember the school playground absolutely buzzing after seeing bands like The Ruts/The Specials/The Damned etc on T.O.T.P's.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Masquerade - No. 14
Charade - No. 31
Animation - No. 56
Circus Games - No. 32
Woman in Winter - No. 49

Fields - Didn't chart
Iona - Didn't chart

TOTP had a massive influence in chart success. Plenty of stories of overnight success because of TOTP including George Michael. He probably would have made it anyway but one single flopped and second one stalled and a last minute call up to TOTP due to a cancelation and he is an overnight sensensation.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

The Go-Betweens?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
watching a documentary on the show a couple of years ago and though I forget the details, I do recall one of the execs making extravagant claims as to the TOTP effect on 7" sales figures. You'd have to say the Clash did pretty well in terms of chart success given the circumstances, not to mention that lack of mainstream radio play that would have been one inevitable consequence of their position. To regularly have broken the top 20 was a testament to just how good those songs were.
That exec wouldn't have been exaggerating. With viewing figures peaking at 19 million in 1979, an appearance could send a record rocketing up the charts. I can understand the Clash not wanting to appear on the show, but to not allow their videos to be shown was bordering on crazy.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:04am
Low Down Low wrote:
watching a documentary on the show a couple of years ago and though I forget the details, I do recall one of the execs making extravagant claims as to the TOTP effect on 7" sales figures. You'd have to say the Clash did pretty well in terms of chart success given the circumstances, not to mention that lack of mainstream radio play that would have been one inevitable consequence of their position. To regularly have broken the top 20 was a testament to just how good those songs were.
That exec wouldn't have been exaggerating. With viewing figures peaking at 19 million in 1979, an appearance could send a record rocketing up the charts. I can understand the Clash not wanting to appear on the show, but to not allow their videos to be shown was bordering on crazy.
Who needs The Clash when you've got Legs & Co. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:05am
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Haha, which shows the farce it became. All due to the Pistols' stance originally.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I'm convinced there has to be a story about that Legs & Co thing that's never been told. Would TOTP have needed the bands/record co. permission before playing the track on the show? I reckon it was them taking the piss out of the group for their sustained criticism of the show.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah, if I remember correctly, the claim was that a TOTP appearance could add something like 30,000 onto the sales figures for the following week. It was something fairly startling like that anyway.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:06am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Haha, which shows the farce it became. All due to the Pistols' stance originally.
Seems that way but then Malcolm gave T.O.T.P's the promo video for Pretty Vacant without the bands permission.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 6:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Masquerade - No. 14
Charade - No. 31
Animation - No. 56
Circus Games - No. 32
Woman in Winter - No. 49

Fields - Didn't chart
Iona - Didn't chart

I too can admire the stance of not wanting to mime on a old Tv program and I have no problem with that. But (and it's a fucking big but) why make promo videos for your songs if you have a problem with miming. All this did was deny Clash fans of a certain age from getting exposure to the band. I remember the school playground absolutely buzzing after seeing bands like The Ruts/The Specials/The Damned etc on T.O.T.P's.
Yeah marky, like i said, i completely get that counter argument. In one sense it was just another means for the band to practise the art of self-sabotage. The only distinction i would make, though, is that for videos there isn't a live audience present so there's not the same sense of pretence about it. Not saying that's a stonewall defence of their position or anything, just that I think there's a difference between them.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:07am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I'm convinced there has to be a story about that Legs & Co thing that's never been told. Would TOTP have needed the bands/record co. permission before playing the track on the show? I reckon it was them taking the piss out of the group for their sustained criticism of the show.
No, I don't think they would. London Calling was also used as chart rundown music during its considerable time in the charts.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Indeed, I think I would have got into the Clash much earlier if I'd seen them on TOTP. As it was I never consciously heard them until 1983.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 7:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
Indeed, I think I would have got into the Clash much earlier if I'd seen them on TOTP. As it was I never consciously heard them until 1983.
I find the whole stance a bit baffling as The Clash went way and above the call of duty when it came to looking out for their fans especially the younger ones. We all loved the band and stood by virtually everthing Joe said at the time. But they made two huge mistakes for my money not miming on T.O.T.P's and no Peel session due to their own stupidity. Look how great other bands Peel sessions are sometimes surpassing the official album tracks etc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia