Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:02pm
After the baffling popularity of “Wonderwall,” did Oasis maintain a sizeable fan base in the US or did the go back to being UK big only?
They had fans, but again, not massive like in the UK.
Argument over. US > UK.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

So what did the Clash have that the Jam didn't to suceed in the US? I see them as being cut from similar cloth but the Americans must have seen something in the Clash that they liked more. I'd have the Jam down as the more commercial of the two.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:22pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
After the baffling popularity of “Wonderwall,” did Oasis maintain a sizeable fan base in the US or did the go back to being UK big only?
Argument over. US > UK.
The Oasis-mania was unreal oer here in the mid-90s. I just never got them at all. Too whiny, too derivative, unlikeable people, lacking in stagecraft, too apolitical, the list goes on.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kind of a twist on the question, but Depeche Mode were huge everywhere BUT their home country.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:24pm
So what did the Clash have that the Jam didn't to suceed in the US? I see them as being cut from similar cloth but the Americans must have seen something in the Clash that they liked more. I'd have the Jam down as the more commercial of the two.
The Jam were catchy but not dangerous? I mean, you could argue the Clash weren’t dangerous either, but they seemed more so. And the mod movement was never big here in the first place.

Also: the Clash werent actually *that* big here either. A couple of radio hits. By the 90s they were basically “the stock the Casbah band” to all but a fringe of rock fans.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
It's hard for me to explain, probably due to a lack of musical vocabulary, but the Clash just sounded less obviously English. The Clash didn't sound like they were drawing from English experiences and were playing for English audiences. It might not make sense to you but I had friends who hated groups like that right away—The Smiths, for example—because they seemed too foreign. The Clash sounded international or universal or non-specific, something like that.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:32pm
Heston wrote:
The Jam were catchy but not dangerous? I mean, you could argue the Clash weren’t dangerous either, but they seemed more so. And the mod movement was never big here in the first place.

Also: the Clash werent actually *that* big here either. A couple of radio hits. By the 90s they were basically “the stock the Casbah band” to all but a fringe of rock fans.
Yeah, they obviously weren't huge but respectable chart entries for the later albums (CR went platinum) and a couple of proper hits were more than the Jam could have dreamt of over there.

Heston

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:30pm
Kind of a twist on the question, but Depeche Mode were huge everywhere BUT their home country.
They are pretty big here I think. They no longer trouble the charts but they still sell out arenas. Did I ever mention I saw them live in 1984 when they were good?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Cant say exactly how much difference it made but the Clash worked America, coast to coast several times over, while The Jam never really took to US tours with any great zeal. Not the whole story probably but a contributing factor. Weller obviously wanted US success but maybe just not badly enough. The Clash embraced it and made it happen.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:45pm
JennyB wrote:
They are pretty big here I think. They no longer trouble the charts but they still sell out arenas. Did I ever mention I saw them live in 1984 when they were good?
Yes, you did! They were good then and now! :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Uh oh …

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:52pm
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Uh oh …
Directed at Heston, not Doc.

Got a Rake? Sure!

Heston

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:52pm
Heston wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Uh oh …
Directed at Heston, not Doc.

:fuck:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Argument over. US > UK.
The Oasis-mania was unreal oer here in the mid-90s. I just never got them at all. Too whiny, too derivative, unlikeable people, lacking in stagecraft, too apolitical, the list goes on.
Funny thing is I saw them several times early one Definitely Maybe/What's the Story era and when I saw them towards the end of their career - they had become a far better live band. The early shows were not that great - more attitude than substance.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 1:51pm
Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Argument over. US > UK.
Funny thing is I saw them several times early one Definitely Maybe/What's the Story era and when I saw them towards the end of their career - they had become a far better live band. The early shows were not that great - more attitude than substance.
Did they not become better because they kept sacking people and replacing them with muso-type identikit Noel and Liams? I thought their original drummer at least gave them some drive, they were just plodders after that.