Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Silent Majority »

The only thing that stopped the Ramones discarding their original brief was Johnny.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

My better half has been listening to a lot of Yatch Rock radio on Sirius. She says in this time of Trump it really relaxes her.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:51pm
My better half has been listening to a lot of Yatch Rock radio on Sirius. She says in this time of Trump it really relaxes her.

VH had that on the other day. On my birthday. :angry:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 3:40pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 2:51pm

VH had that on the other day. On my birthday. :angry:
We could all use a little Boz Scaggs in our life these days!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

...been a busy couple of weeks and it's cut into my internet time...so no opinion/question for a couple of weeks...but I want to complain about the audio cassette revival. My main question is why? I understand vinyl - it's classic and it sounds good. I grew up in the mid-to-late 80's and cassette tapes - while economical - were crap. I did own many of them growing up - but that was because I was a kid and they were always cheaper than the CD version.

I will back up and admit that I loved making mix tapes. That was fun. It required some thought being put into the song selection and so on - but it was still a pain and I don't miss it enough that I'd ever want to make one again.

...but what really gets me is that bands are now releasing albums on cassette. Again - why? Who the hell has tape deck in their car anymore? I have a cassette player in my house - but it has not been used in probably 20 years.

Can someone give me a reason other than pure annoying hipster-ism that a new album should be released on cassette?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Short answer: no I can’t. It’s hipster nonsense.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I was just thinking I needed a new cassette "boombox"...

...oh wait...it's 2018 - not 1988, right?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

One of the reasons this guy gives is that a portable cassette player is more convenient than a turntable? Really? You know what is more convenient than a portable cassette player? My music collection that is stored in the cloud so I can access it whenever I want to either on my laptop or my phone or whatever and then play through a relatively low cost speaker that sounds better than any crap cassette "deck" I had back in the day.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 7:58am
One of the reasons this guy gives is that a portable cassette player is more convenient than a turntable? Really? You know what is more convenient than a portable cassette player? My music collection that is stored in the cloud so I can access it whenever I want to either on my laptop or my phone or whatever and then play through a relatively low cost speaker that sounds better than any crap cassette "deck" I had back in the day.
Probably a seperate issue but, with the proliferation of people using digital audio workstations (DAW) at home and creating digital music that apparently sounds clinical and sterile, there are digital musicians that play their creations out of the computer and onto good quality audio tape to give it authentic tape compression and warmth, you can overload tape with audio signal and make the VU meters go into red and this apparently adds subtle harmonics to the music, you then record it back into the machine, there are some VST (Virtual Studio Technology) plugins that can add warmth to digital signal but can be expensive, the low fi way is authentic and cheap, ...but I suppose because vinyl is making a comeback, cassette is there to be exploited too, I use cassettes to play into the computer and record old radio taped gigs digitally, the quality is pretty good depending on your playback hardware, I'm by no means an audiophile.
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

There is zero reason to prefer cassette over any other portable form. It's affectation. And that's fine, but be honest that it's some nostalgia retro vibe.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

hairydot61 wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 8:56am
WestwayKid wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 7:58am
Probably a seperate issue but, with the proliferation of people using digital audio workstations (DAW) at home and creating digital music that apparently sounds clinical and sterile, there are digital musicians that play their creations out of the computer and onto good quality audio tape to give it authentic tape compression and warmth, you can overload tape with audio signal and make the VU meters go into red and this apparently adds subtle harmonics to the music, you then record it back into the machine, there are some VST (Virtual Studio Technology) plugins that can add warmth to digital signal but can be expensive, the low fi way is authentic and cheap, ...but I suppose because vinyl is making a comeback, cassette is there to be exploited too, I use cassettes to play into the computer and record old radio taped gigs digitally, the quality is pretty good depending on your playback hardware, I'm by no means an audiophile.
I did think about this aspect and I think I'm okay with it. If they're being used to make music - great. My biggest complaint is the idea of releasing new music on cassette. I just don't see the need other than to be cool.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 8:58am
There is zero reason to prefer cassette over any other portable form. It's affectation. And that's fine, but be honest that it's some nostalgia retro vibe.
I agree - but what about all these kids (man, I sound old) who never grew up with cassettes? I think it's just another way to be an annoying hipster.
hipster.jpg
hipster.jpg (10.64 KiB) Viewed 2262 times

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 8:58am
Plus, if you leave a cassette in the front seat of your car in the summer heat, it will melt. RIP my cassette copy of The Queen is Dead from when I first got my license.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Show of hands - does anyone else around here still have cassette tapes? We threw out two garbage bags full of cassettes in our last move but also kept a good number, mostly old mix tapes for nostalgic reasons.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

JoseUnidos wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 10:02am
Show of hands - does anyone else around here still have cassette tapes? We threw out two garbage bags full of cassettes in our last move but also kept a good number, mostly old mix tapes for nostalgic reasons.
We have some in our basement, but since they belong to my husband, nothing worth listening to. Also, no means of playing them either.
Got a Rake? Sure!