Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Silent Majority »

The Kinks did their best stuff in Britain on the home front, so they don't count in the invasion.

The Animals.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Frankie Goes to Hollywood. :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I quite enjoy the Move's eponymous debut, not sure if they made any waves in America.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Just going based off Wikipedia's list of British Invasion groups, one record per band that I like between the years 1964-1966 (when UK and US track configurations differ, I'm going by the US track configurations for the purpose of this exercise):

The Animals - The Animals (1964)
Cream - Fresh Cream (1966)
The Spencer Davis Group - Their First LP (1965)
Donovan - Sunshine Superman (1966)
Manfred Mann - The Manfred Mann Album (1964)
The Pretty Things - The Pretty Things (1965)
the Rolling Stones - Out of Our Heads (1965)
Dusty Springfield - Ev'rything's Coming Up Dusty (1965)
Them - The Angry Young Them (1965)
The Troggs - Wild Thing (1966)
The Who - My Generation (1966 in the U.S.)
The Yardbirds - Having a Rave Up with The Yardbirds (1965, this is one of the greatest albums of all time. Objective fact.)
The Zombies - The Zombies (1965)

The Kinks are odd omissions for the reasons stated above - their best British Invasion era work didn't really get presented properly on the U.S. albums they issued, or were commercial duds at the time. I'd also mention that since the single was still such a driving force at the time, plenty of great bands had stellar singles that got padded out into inessential records and, in many cases, were even then reconfigured even more weakly for US audiences from the original UK issues. Makes it an interesting parlor game to actually think of great records that may have actually been listened to as such during the British Invasion era.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 3:41pm
Just going based off Wikipedia's list of British Invasion groups, one record per band that I like between the years 1964-1966 (when UK and US track configurations differ, I'm going by the US track configurations for the purpose of this exercise):

The Animals - The Animals (1964)
Cream - Fresh Cream (1966)
The Spencer Davis Group - Their First LP (1965)
Donovan - Sunshine Superman (1966)
Manfred Mann - The Manfred Mann Album (1964)
The Pretty Things - The Pretty Things (1965)
the Rolling Stones - Out of Our Heads (1965)
Dusty Springfield - Ev'rything's Coming Up Dusty (1965)
Them - The Angry Young Them (1965)
The Troggs - Wild Thing (1966)
The Who - My Generation (1966 in the U.S.)
The Yardbirds - Having a Rave Up with The Yardbirds (1965, this is one of the greatest albums of all time. Objective fact.)
The Zombies - The Zombies (1965)

The Kinks are odd omissions for the reasons stated above - their best British Invasion era work didn't really get presented properly on the U.S. albums they issued, or were commercial duds at the time. I'd also mention that since the single was still such a driving force at the time, plenty of great bands had stellar singles that got padded out into inessential records and, in many cases, were even then reconfigured even more weakly for US audiences from the original UK issues. Makes it an interesting parlor game to actually think of great records that may have actually been listened to as such during the British Invasion era.
The Creation come to mind. "Making Time" was a great single - but I don't think they ever released a LP in the UK or US. There was a German issued LP from the late 60's - but not the best quality (and not sure it was put together with the band's input).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Definitely Yardbirds, good call robot man.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Busy week thus far. Having a bit of a hard time thinking of a good topic for discussion. How about most overrated moment in rock history? I'm using the term "overrated" loosely - so don't think of it in strict terms.

I'd propose something like the famed "The Day the Music Died" as being a moment in rock history that has been hugely blown out of proportion. Buddy Holly I get. The guy was a pioneer who helped create the blueprint of modern rock and roll. Richie Valens was simply too much of an unknown quantity. Would he have been more than a 1 or 2 hit wonder? We'll never know. The Big Bopper? Maybe if novelty tunes became a lasting thing.

It's just been mythologized so much (thank you Don McLean). The loss of Holly in itself was a big deal, but it's like the other 2 got lumped in and the whole thing was turned into "The Day the Music Died" which it obviously did not do.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

American Pie is up there as one of the all time worst songs ever recorded. That's my opinion. :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 11:03am
American Pie is up there as one of the all time worst songs ever recorded. That's my opinion. :mrgreen:
It's awful. I hate the fact that it is like 80 verses long and that McLean just oozes hippy smugness.

...and then there is this: https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2016 ... cal-abuse/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Your pick is solid because it reinforces a bullshit argument about how rock n roll was on life support when Elvis was inducted, Jerry Lee Lewis ran afoul of the law, Little Richard found Jesus, and Buddy Holly died, and that it wasn't until the Beatles and other Limeys came over that rock n roll was saved. Ignoring surf bands, Motown, girl groups, and Philly soul, to name a few, in the interim. Even some smart historians whom I respect have gotten suckered into this argument.

I'll offer up Woodstock. Not that it wasn't a monumental event or remarkable expression of hippie culture—for that weekend, it was something like tenth biggest city in the US, yet with little crime for its size—but that it was representative of "the Sixties" or "youth culture." Well, why? Why is Altamont, its dark twin, not representative? The counterculture produced plenty of horror—Manson was the extreme, but there were plenty of predators and cults in the counterculture—yet that's shunted aside as an aberration or the dream gone off the rails. It's silly to look at these things purely one way or another. The same liberationist impulse that produced Woodstock hippies also produced Altamont hippies, so to speak. Treating Woodstock as the moment that captured the spirit of the times is nonsense, especially when it was far more of a last gasp, as things really started getting ugly a full year earlier.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:51am
(thank you Don McLean).
http://wfmu.org/LCD/andy/americanpie.html

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 11:06am
JennyB wrote:
It's awful. I hate the fact that it is like 80 verses long and that McLean just oozes hippy smugness.

...and then there is this: https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2016 ... cal-abuse/
Well, if even half of this article is true, I now hate him the more than anyone else. So, good job, Don McLean. You made me hate someone more than I hate Phil Collins, Eric Clapton and Marky Mark. That's exceptional work.
Got a Rake? Sure!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 11:27am
WestwayKid wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 11:06am
JennyB wrote:

Well, if even half of this article is true, I now hate him the more than anyone else. So, good job, Don McLean. You made me hate someone more than I hate Phil Collins, Eric Clapton and Marky Mark. That's exceptional work.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebri ... ar-BBKgv27

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I was going to mount a semi-defense of American Pie (I sorta like it/don't mind it), but those accusations against McLean overwhelm my half-hearted non-hate of his hit single.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I had a couple friends as an undergrad who played rugby. Their theme song was, no lie, "American Pie." We hassled them to no end about this. Helluva fight song.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft