Music opinion/question of the week...

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Music opinion/question of the week...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I begrudge no-one for not getting past Morrissey's voice, nor Mark E. Smith nor Jello Biafra. They're all atypical and if their oddness doesn't appeal, so be it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 6:22pm
I begrudge no-one for not getting past Morrissey's voice, nor Mark E. Smith nor Jello Biafra. They're all atypical and if their oddness doesn't appeal, so be it.
Whereas I begrudge everyone for everything. Different strokes, I guess. For which I begrudge.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 6:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Whereas I begrudge everyone for everything. Different strokes, I guess. For which I begrudge.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't begrudge you for begrudging others.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 6:08pm
Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 5:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 5:17pm
Low Down Low wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 4:57pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 3:28pm
Talking of The Jam, when they were on TOTP one night (Going Underground?) Weller wore a Heinze Tomato soup apron.The next day kids turned up at my and school wearing their Mum’s apron and at other schools all over the country. From memory Weller only did it as a wind up but again it shows how much influence TOTP had on pop culture in UK.

You’re right, I always looked forward to Friday mornings in school for the discussions we’d have on previous nights totp. It was the highlight of the week for a few glorious years.

On a slight tangent I remember the Smiths playing near where I grew up and a few tossers coming into school the next day with branches hanging out of their back pockets.
How charming I expect they were with special branch. I'd been working for a couple of years by the time The Smiths were happening. Still thought they were fantastic against all the shitty chart bands of the time.
Yeah I was in a very small minority in my antipathy to the Smiths. I was a very depressed teenager - maybe there is no other kind - but as opposed to speaking for me I just found the music depressed me even more. Didn’t have a very open minded approach to music back then to be honest, dismissed whole swathes of great stuff on the flimsiest of pretexts.
I just didn't like his voice. Some great music and songs, just couldn't get past that strangulated moan of his.
I agree.

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

101Walterton wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 3:28pm
Talking of The Jam, when they were on TOTP one night (Going Underground?) Weller wore a Heinze Tomato soup apron.The next day kids turned up at my and school wearing their Mum’s apron and at other schools all over the country. From memory Weller only did it as a wind up but again it shows how much influence TOTP had on pop culture in UK.
I don't remember Paul Weller wearing an apron on TOTPs but I do vaugely remember this because at the time (1980) I used to buy the three main music papers, N.M.E, Sounds and depending on who was on the cover, The Melody Maker as money was short.
This thing I cut and pasted>
:including the classic encounter between the young upstart Weller and a somewhat gnarly Pete Townshend, arranged by Melody Maker, in which the two mod icons squared up to each other nervously, a surprising gulf emerging between Weller and one of his musical heroes.
I seem to remember they got the two 'Heads' together because they were the spokemen for their respective 'Mod' generations, but when they had this meeting the two musicians Ideology or Polemic (I had to look that one up, I know now) were at odds, I think Weller said that he came away dissapointed because he found he didn't like Townsend, I found that interesting, ...couldn't find the whole article online though, ...never saw The Jam, not seen Weller live but I'm a fan of both.
Getting back to XTC, apparently Andy Partridge had an adverse reaction to coming off a prescribed medication Valium, thats why he got panic attacks and refused to go touring, theres a good book 'Chalkhills and Children', Andy Partridge is a perfectionist, clever, witty but also comes across as a major arsehole, have been a fan since the Science Friction e.p, saw them 3 times before they stopped touring ( Fucking Awesome), had to get a refund on Hammersmith odeon tickets and gutted, ..still a fan.
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

hairydot61 wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 6:05am
Getting back to XTC, apparently Andy Partridge had an adverse reaction to coming off a prescribed medication Valium, thats why he got panic attacks and refused to go touring, theres a good book 'Chalkhills and Children', Andy Partridge is a perfectionist, clever, witty but also comes across as a major arsehole, have been a fan since the Science Friction e.p, saw them 3 times before they stopped touring ( Fucking Awesome), had to get a refund on Hammersmith odeon tickets and gutted, ..still a fan.
He had good reason to stop touring after that incident but even his own band members have said he played on it after that, and could easily have toured later in their career, so he kind of denied them the pleasure (and income) of playing live. He does come across as a funny and witty guy but seems to have alienated everyone he has worked with. The word "control freak" is often bandied about.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 11:43am
hairydot61 wrote:
He had good reason to stop touring after that incident but even his own band members have said he played on it after that, and could easily have toured later in their career, so he kind of denied them the pleasure (and income) of playing live. He does come across as a funny and witty guy but seems to have alienated everyone he has worked with. The word "control freak" is often bandied about.
That makes sense. I thought it was strange when you watch XTC live on YouTube and he looks so comfortable on stage.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 5:42pm
Heston wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:
That makes sense. I thought it was strange when you watch XTC live on YouTube and he looks so comfortable on stage.
Doesn't really look the shy and retiring type here. One of my favourite XTC clips...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 5:51pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:
Doesn't really look the shy and retiring type here. One of my favourite XTC clips...

Brilliant clip / great track. I'm going to trump everyone here by saying that I saw XTC play the Target pub in Reading June 4th 1977. XTC played this venue 3 times in '77 I went with my uncle who hated them. The Target was a rockers pub and bands like Twelth Night recorded their live album there. I was 12 years old at the time and my uncle recently told me he smuggled me in because he was best pals with the doorman. Sadly I don't remember this at all which is odd because I saw XTC play the Reading Top Rank in '78. I'm sure due to being unhappy as a kid I've blanked out certain events. But Bob (my uncle) swears blind he took me. I asked my mum if she remembers this and she said that my uncle had just come out of Dartmoor prison in early '77 and had nowhere to live so he stayed with us for 6 months until he got himself sorted. So it's all likely to be true. I checked XTC's live database and it all makes sense.

http://www.optimismsflames.com/Gigs%20Text%20Only.htm

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:

Thanks Hes. He looks like a natural frontman there brilliant stuff. I never saw XTC but was always a big fan and seeing this makes you realise what we were missing out on 😔

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 6:31pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't begrudge you for begrudging others.
Hello,

A bit late but - here come begrudge, here come begrudge!

hairydot61
Junco Partner

Post by hairydot61 »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
hairydot61 wrote:

Cool clip, I wonder if its the same audio as this brilliant half an hour BBC set from 78', Barry Andrews still on keys
. "Bikini Reds a state of mind,
I'm in a state and She don't mind"
  • Comforting the Disturbed and
    Disturbing the Comfortable

>>>>The Caped Curator<<<<

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Good rock biopics and bad rock biopics.

I really enjoyed Nowhere Boy. Thought it was a fascinating look into a young John Lennon.

The Beach Boys: An American Family is putrid. Horrible acting. The fake beards are horrendous. No actual BB music and a really loose interpretation of the band's history.

Stoned was another bad film - though almost so bad it was good?? The scene where the guy playing Brian Jones sets up that keyboard in the empty pool and then gets the creepy handyman to jam with him - surreal AND awful.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Very sink or swim topic for the week. I haven't really seen too many rock biopics, generally because the genre is so awful. I guess Sid & Nancy was pretty good, or at least I thought so when I was in High School - haven't seen it since, I don't think. I have this cheesy Hank Williams tribute that's half (awesome) tribute concert and half (really goofy) biopic. I actually really like it, maybe I'll watch it this weekend to start revving up the celebration of the birthday of Freedom.

Love & Mercy was pretty okay, although a case where familiarity with the source material makes the simplification of the story grate. Enjoyed The Doors when I was a kid, but can't imagine I'd be able to sit through it now.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've seen more of these than I'd have thought: Ray was overrated, Coal Miner's Daughter is GREAT GREAT GREAT, La Bamba is good-ish as I recall from watching it as a kid, Walk The Line is objectively bad but it came out when I was at Peak Johnny Cash Obsession so it lined up for me, and I still can't decide if I'm Not There is a great film or totally full of shit. Maybe both, much like the subject.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!