Re: Need advice quick

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 6:44pm
matedog wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 6:39pm
Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 6:35pm
Well, I met with her last night and it seems she's into dropping the material from that band, starting something that's more angular post-punk, and is open to me bringing in some of the trip-hop stuff I want to do as well. I don't really have an excuse any more except that i need to figure out if it's more important for me to work alone or not.
Cool deal. I hope it works out in a fulfilling way.
Come be our drummer.
I'm in on triangle and we may have the makings of an IMCT Supergroup.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 7:04pm
Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 6:44pm
matedog wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 6:39pm
Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 6:35pm
Well, I met with her last night and it seems she's into dropping the material from that band, starting something that's more angular post-punk, and is open to me bringing in some of the trip-hop stuff I want to do as well. I don't really have an excuse any more except that i need to figure out if it's more important for me to work alone or not.
Cool deal. I hope it works out in a fulfilling way.
Come be our drummer.
Do you have an aversion to 16th note hi hats with unorthodox, dance-y accents?
Certainly not.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Oh man, she just sent me a 7-bullet list of why I should join. A choice excerpt:
1. You have an opportunity here to join an esteemed project that has had so much love poured into it over the past 4 years. Love, care and determination that is recognized and respected by people all over the globe.

2. Getting and staying on the map is one of the hardest things to do as a local band. The hard part is done! It’s as though someone gave you a brand new car and handed you the keys. All you have to do is put them in the ignition and drive!

3. It’s not often you’ll have this opportunity to get your creations heard. I understand your concerns about investing and then having to pull out as we get more and more recognition, but ask yourself this: Wouldn’t it be better to say “I was once in The Clash”, rather than “I was almost in The Clash, but passed because I didn’t want to have to leave in case we moved.” …it’s better to have loved and lost, and all that… Passing this up would truly be a sad, sad shame.
I can't tell if this is charming or overbearing in a corporate way.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 8:44pm
Oh man, she just sent me a 7-bullet list of why I should join. A choice excerpt:
1. You have an opportunity here to join an esteemed project that has had so much love poured into it over the past 4 years. Love, care and determination that is recognized and respected by people all over the globe.

2. Getting and staying on the map is one of the hardest things to do as a local band. The hard part is done! It’s as though someone gave you a brand new car and handed you the keys. All you have to do is put them in the ignition and drive!

3. It’s not often you’ll have this opportunity to get your creations heard. I understand your concerns about investing and then having to pull out as we get more and more recognition, but ask yourself this: Wouldn’t it be better to say “I was once in The Clash”, rather than “I was almost in The Clash, but passed because I didn’t want to have to leave in case we moved.” …it’s better to have loved and lost, and all that… Passing this up would truly be a sad, sad shame.
Sounds a bit pompous to me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:

Well I watched the Anthony Bourdain interview with her, and she does seem a bit full of herself (and other stuff), and a tad mean. Good luck trying to cop a young Chrissie Hynde vibe. (I still think you should do it. Just fucking take over!).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 9:02pm
Kory wrote:

Well I watched the Anthony Bourdain interview with her, and she does seem a bit full of herself (and other stuff), and a tad mean. Good luck trying to cop a young Chrissie Hynde vibe. (I still think you should do it. Just fucking take over!).
I'm a little embarrassed to say I haven't had time to watch the Bourdain thing yet. But yeah, she does seem to be pretty self-assured I suppose. To be fair, I was the one that made the Clash allusion at our meeting last night. I told her there's a good chance that I'll have to leave the state in a couple years and told her I didn't want to be the Terry Chimes of this band.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

For Kory or anyone who might be interested, here's the interview with Anthony Bourdain from his "Parts Unknown" series.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:

"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 9:04pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm a little embarrassed to say I haven't had time to watch the Bourdain thing yet. But yeah, she does seem to be pretty self-assured I suppose. To be fair, I was the one that made the Clash allusion at our meeting last night. I told her there's a good chance that I'll have to leave the state in a couple years and told her I didn't want to be the Terry Chimes of this band.
Fuck the Clash reference - coulda been any band (tho I do take your point).
If you go with it, make sure you insist on any and all songwriting/compostional attributes, monetary or otherwise. And NEVER play any riff/progression that you might want to save for your own stuff the exact same way with her/the band. (It'll hold up in litigation that way). Yeah, she does come off a bit "corporate", to say the least.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 9:17pm
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

If you go with it, make sure you insist on any and all songwriting/compostional attributes, monetary or otherwise. And NEVER play any riff/progression that you might want to save for your own stuff the exact same way with her/the band. (It'll hold up in litigation that way). Yeah, she does come off a bit "corporate", to say the least.
I hate my stupid indecisive brain.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 9:13pm
Kory wrote:

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 9:21pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Good. That's a well functioning brain.
Hey, you don't have kids yet, no? You're what - 35? You're in your prime, dude. Just give it a shot, pay close attention to anything you're wanted to sign, and just take fucking over. Push YOUR ideas front and center (assuming, as you said, she wants to go with a new vibe). Let her/them know you've got serious ideas and you're not "just the bass player".
EDIT: just remember - she/they are wanting you.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 9:27pm
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Hey, you don't have kids yet, no? You're what - 35? You're in your prime, dude. Just give it a shot, pay close attention to anything you're wanted to sign, and just take fucking over. Push YOUR ideas front and center (assuming, as you said, she wants to go with a new vibe). Let her/them know you've got serious ideas and you're not "just the bass player".
Yeah, I just gotta figure out if this other project I've been wanting to do for a few years is more important to me at this point, since I won't have time for both. I might have to just flip a coin or something.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 9:30pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 9:27pm
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah, I just gotta figure out if this other project I've been wanting to do for a few years is more important to me at this point, since I won't have time for both. I might have to just flip a coin or something.
Is your other (preferred?) project just you solo (i.e. just you writing, playing, programming, producing, mixing, etc.)?
Remember this: Mick Jones and Paul Westerberg could afford to do their solo one-man-band basement stuff only because they'd played for years in unlikely-ly (is that a word?) successful bands, live and in studio. And as songwriters they get to live off their royalties from said bands (and largely earn zilch from the home studio albums).
I hate the term, but "paying your dues" comes to mind. (unless you're Prince, and surely you don't have the hubris to compare yourself to that musical freak of nature).

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

And Kory - what does your wife think? (or any other mates of yours, not including us goofballs on IMCT).