Annoying YouTube comments...

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Annoying YouTube comments...

Post by WestwayKid »

Pick any "classic" rock/pop song and find it on YouTube and then look at the comments. There is always someone - usually multiple someones - who write comments like "this is when music was good" or "they don't make music like this anymore" or "today's music sucks" and on and on. I just find those comments annoying and maybe I'm feeling a bit touchy because it's been a long week and it's freaking cold outside. Another classic is something like this: "I wish I grew up in the 60's (or 70's) (or 80's) (or 90's) because that's when music was good." Come on. There is good music and plenty of bad music for every generation. I hope I never get like that. I hope I never stop enjoying new music. Anyway, rant over.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Annoying YouTube comments...

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 9:06am
Pick any "classic" rock/pop song and find it on YouTube and then look at the comments. There is always someone - usually multiple someones - who write comments like "this is when music was good" or "they don't make music like this anymore" or "today's music sucks" and on and on. I just find those comments annoying and maybe I'm feeling a bit touchy because it's been a long week and it's freaking cold outside. Another classic is something like this: "I wish I grew up in the 60's (or 70's) (or 80's) (or 90's) because that's when music was good." Come on. There is good music and plenty of bad music for every generation. I hope I never get like that. I hope I never stop enjoying new music. Anyway, rant over.
I know I sound like an old fart but I think music was better in the 60s/70s/80s. In the mainstream anyway. Maybe there's just as good music being made now but the record companies aren't releasing it, I don't know. Or maybe it's an age thing where you stop absorbing new stuff. Either way, I can't see a modern day equivalent of Bowie, The Beatles or The Clash anywhere. I do like the odd new song/band here and there but in general I look to the past for stuff I haven't heard, or stick a favourite album on.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 11:13am
WestwayKid wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 9:06am
I know I sound like an old fart but I think music was better in the 60s/70s/80s. In the mainstream anyway. Maybe there's just as good music being made now but the record companies aren't releasing it, I don't know. Or maybe it's an age thing where you stop absorbing new stuff. Either way, I can't see a modern day equivalent of Bowie, The Beatles or The Clash anywhere. I do like the odd new song/band here and there but in general I look to the past for stuff I haven't heard, or stick a favourite album on.
The bolded is a big part of it. For most of us, there is a window when we're crazy to absorb new sounds and new ideas. The older we get, the more inclined we are to consolidate what we know, what is familiar. It's not a bad thing necessarily. It's problematic if we turnaround and disparage younger people's hunger for new sounds.

But your point about no contemporary Bowie, Beatles, or Clash is true only to the degree of someone capable of holding a mass audience. The nature of media and economics has fragmented us as consumers and audiences. The notion of a mainstream superstar like the Beatles just isn't possible anymore, regardless of talent. I so love Lester Bangs' observation, “we will never again agree on anything as we agreed on Elvis." That is, the price of the diversity of music is that it segregates audiences more and more. That's where we're at and we we'll never go back.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I was talking to an old (famous) Jazz cat and he told me that the music you grew up with stays with you forever

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

They say your favourite era of music is what you get into from about 14-18 years old but my favourite era is from when I was 10-14 years old. Not sure if that has any relevance, but there you go.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I was about 7 or 8 when I loved The Sweet and Bay City Rollers, 10 when I first heard the Sex Pistols...They are all still with me, well except the Rollers

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sixteen to twenty-five was probably my most obsessive and curious period for music—when I discovered punk, post-punk, alternative, etc—tho I've had a bit of a revitalization in the last three or four years where I'm again seeking out newer stuff.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 12:42pm
Sixteen to twenty-five was probably my most obsessive and curious period for music—when I discovered punk, post-punk, alternative, etc—tho I've had a bit of a revitalization in the last three or four years where I'm again seeking out newer stuff.
trying to figure out what the hell your students are talking about, eh? ;)
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 12:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
trying to figure out what the hell your students are talking about, eh? ;)
I'll never understand that hippity hoppity nonsense!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

the kids today with their "urban" music and their, uh, baggy jeans and, uh, total lack of access to full-time employment and homeownership. Their music sucks.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

In my day, we were more interested in Kansas and Clapton, not buying avocado toast and taking pictures of avocado toast.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I feel like I’m constantly discovering new music.

It’s just mostly new to me, not current.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm in this boat, too. I'm still discovering music that's new to me but it's almost always older stuff that I just hadn't checked out before.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I posted about this recently but it is scientific fact that the music from your teen years has a major impact on your brain and it is to do with raging hormones. As teenagers are flooded with hormones their emotions are all over the place, they like things more than at any other time in their life as well as hating things more. Same reason they have crushes on people and ‘first loves’ that stay with them for life.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The teenage years also make some sense as the key period in that it's a time when many of us start to get some extra cash through part-time jobs, and it's often completely for discretionary spending. The older you get, the more of your budget goes to responsible adult shit like food and rent.