Acoustic versions

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76422
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Acoustic versions

Post by Dr. Medulla » 09 Jan 2018, 3:43pm

From Deadspin's Drew Magary's mailbag:
Q: Has there ever been an acoustic version of a song that is better than the original? I believe the answer is no.

A: The answer is EXTREMELY no. This is part of the reason that growing up in the ‘90s was fucking terrible. Not only did I have to contend with sports almanacs and shitty Bud Bowls, but it was the heyday of MTV Unplugged and muso assholes being like THIS SONG IS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER DONE ACOUSTIC. That was never true. That show was an hour of toilet sounds.

Music people will tell you that stripping a song down to its acoustic elements reveals its strengths and weakness. And that’s true, but I also don’t give the barest of shits. Why would I want a song I normally enjoy to be exposed as horrifically flawed? Cover that shit in WAVES of distortion, please. In fact, they should electrify every original acoustic album. I heard enough James Taylor this Christmas to know loud guitars can’t possibly make things worse.
https://adequateman.deadspin.com/i-am-n ... 1821905317

I'm completely blanking here, but there have to be some obvious examples of a stripped down being better. Have at it.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8779
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by Kory » 09 Jan 2018, 4:03pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 3:43pm
From Deadspin's Drew Magary's mailbag:
Q: Has there ever been an acoustic version of a song that is better than the original? I believe the answer is no.

A: The answer is EXTREMELY no. This is part of the reason that growing up in the ‘90s was fucking terrible. Not only did I have to contend with sports almanacs and shitty Bud Bowls, but it was the heyday of MTV Unplugged and muso assholes being like THIS SONG IS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER DONE ACOUSTIC. That was never true. That show was an hour of toilet sounds.

Music people will tell you that stripping a song down to its acoustic elements reveals its strengths and weakness. And that’s true, but I also don’t give the barest of shits. Why would I want a song I normally enjoy to be exposed as horrifically flawed? Cover that shit in WAVES of distortion, please. In fact, they should electrify every original acoustic album. I heard enough James Taylor this Christmas to know loud guitars can’t possibly make things worse.
https://adequateman.deadspin.com/i-am-n ... 1821905317

I'm completely blanking here, but there have to be some obvious examples of a stripped down being better. Have at it.
Alice in Chains, most definitely.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

coffeepotman
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 648
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by coffeepotman » 09 Jan 2018, 4:37pm

One that I remember that was interesting and pretty good was The Cure. David Bowie did quite a few acoustic shows around 1996-97 and while they were good it was more of a curiosity, the versions weren't better they were just different.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 16696
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by JennyB » 09 Jan 2018, 4:51pm

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 4:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 3:43pm
From Deadspin's Drew Magary's mailbag:
Q: Has there ever been an acoustic version of a song that is better than the original? I believe the answer is no.

A: The answer is EXTREMELY no. This is part of the reason that growing up in the ‘90s was fucking terrible. Not only did I have to contend with sports almanacs and shitty Bud Bowls, but it was the heyday of MTV Unplugged and muso assholes being like THIS SONG IS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER DONE ACOUSTIC. That was never true. That show was an hour of toilet sounds.

Music people will tell you that stripping a song down to its acoustic elements reveals its strengths and weakness. And that’s true, but I also don’t give the barest of shits. Why would I want a song I normally enjoy to be exposed as horrifically flawed? Cover that shit in WAVES of distortion, please. In fact, they should electrify every original acoustic album. I heard enough James Taylor this Christmas to know loud guitars can’t possibly make things worse.
https://adequateman.deadspin.com/i-am-n ... 1821905317

I'm completely blanking here, but there have to be some obvious examples of a stripped down being better. Have at it.
Alice in Chains, most definitely.
I do not agree with this post when it comes to anything on Dirt.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1671
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by laxman » 09 Jan 2018, 6:05pm

How about the Gary Jules version of Mad World in Donnie Darko?

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8779
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by Kory » 09 Jan 2018, 6:19pm

laxman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:05pm
How about the Gary Jules version of Mad World in Donnie Darko?
Original TFF is better.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

laxman
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1671
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by laxman » 09 Jan 2018, 6:50pm

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:19pm
laxman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:05pm
How about the Gary Jules version of Mad World in Donnie Darko?
Original TFF is better.
I nearly said that in my post, but then I would have ruined my own suggestion!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8779
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by Kory » 09 Jan 2018, 6:54pm

laxman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:50pm
Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:19pm
laxman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:05pm
How about the Gary Jules version of Mad World in Donnie Darko?
Original TFF is better.
I nearly said that in my post, but then I would have ruined my own suggestion!
The truth will set you free!
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1263
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by gkbill » 09 Jan 2018, 7:02pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 3:43pm
From Deadspin's Drew Magary's mailbag:
Q: Has there ever been an acoustic version of a song that is better than the original? I believe the answer is no.

A: The answer is EXTREMELY no. This is part of the reason that growing up in the ‘90s was fucking terrible. Not only did I have to contend with sports almanacs and shitty Bud Bowls, but it was the heyday of MTV Unplugged and muso assholes being like THIS SONG IS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER DONE ACOUSTIC. That was never true. That show was an hour of toilet sounds.

Music people will tell you that stripping a song down to its acoustic elements reveals its strengths and weakness. And that’s true, but I also don’t give the barest of shits. Why would I want a song I normally enjoy to be exposed as horrifically flawed? Cover that shit in WAVES of distortion, please. In fact, they should electrify every original acoustic album. I heard enough James Taylor this Christmas to know loud guitars can’t possibly make things worse.
https://adequateman.deadspin.com/i-am-n ... 1821905317

I'm completely blanking here, but there have to be some obvious examples of a stripped down being better. Have at it.
Hello,

In fact, some may say the opposite is true. Is there an acoustic equivalent of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes?


Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27769
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by Heston » 09 Jan 2018, 7:15pm

I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76422
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by Dr. Medulla » 09 Jan 2018, 7:52pm

Heston wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 7:15pm
Of all the Hestons who ever Hestoned, you are the Hestonest.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6627
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by revbob » 09 Jan 2018, 8:21pm

coffeepotman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 4:37pm
...more of a curiosity, the versions weren't better they were just different.
I think I fall into this camp for the most part.

Now I have to saw as much as I might respect Crass I dont really care to listen to them. I do however love Jeffrey Lewis doing his stripped down acoustic covers of Crass songs.

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15165
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by Rat Patrol » 09 Jan 2018, 8:42pm



All your acoustical hottakez belong to me.
Image

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 20521
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by matedog » 10 Jan 2018, 11:02am

Absolutely. There are two general ways that acoustic versions can be superior.
1. Stripping away dated or poor production can shine a light on a melodies or lyrics. In 1990, Bruce played his very first acoustic shows in which he debuted a lot of material from Human Touch. These versions are way better than what ended up on that appropriately maligned album. There are probably a lot of decent examples from the late 80's/early 90's, but all I can come up with are Warrant songs. :disshame:
2. Spirited live performances that have an energy the studio recordings lack. This isn't necessarily inherent to the acoustic format, but it happens:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50402
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Acoustic versions

Post by Wolter » 10 Jan 2018, 11:11am

revbob wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 8:21pm
coffeepotman wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 4:37pm
...more of a curiosity, the versions weren't better they were just different.
I think I fall into this camp for the most part.

Now I have to saw as much as I might respect Crass I dont really care to listen to them. I do however love Jeffrey Lewis doing his stripped down acoustic covers of Crass songs.
I do love those versions for making the songs more palatable to others, but that’s definitely an apples to hand grenades comparison.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests