Any other fans of The Church out there?

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Any other fans of The Church out there?

Post by WestwayKid »

muppet hi fi wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:45pm
daredevil wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:33pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 10:27pm
daredevil wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 9:46pm
I really like the Starfish album. When i got into some shoegaze bands, i included that album on my rotation of cds.
They did/do have elements of showgaze...but I think much more than that. There is an almost gothic gloom to many of their songs...a menace...a dark corner...something sinister waiting.
Yeah they were not a shoegaze band, but the music (maybe not the lyrics) fit in well with the genre.
Definitely. But The Church came from an older tradition, where the guys could really play and had a couple great songwriters. Almost "classic rock", i.e. Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Davies, Townshend, Bowie, Reed, Dylan, etc.
That's a good point. Their 1999 covers album, A Box of Birds, is a pretty eclectic mix of songs and influences: Alex Harvey, "It's All Too Much", The Monkeys, Kevin Ayers, they cover Iggy - but instead of one of the more obvious choices they pull a song off of New Values, Hawkwind, Neil Young. I've read numerous interviews with Kilbey where he mentions his two biggest influences as a kid were Bolan and Bowie.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble