U2 - Songs of Experience

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by WestwayKid »

I'm an unabashed U2 fan. Growing up in the 80's, coming of age in the 90's, and now coming to terms with growing older. They've always been in the background.

I greet each new release with the hope that it is great. They've been around long enough that they're at the point where they're never going to hit the heights of The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. I just always fear they'll put out a true clunker and yes - they've given us some missteps over the past couple of albums...but my hopes never quite dim.

Just got my hands on their new album and have given it one listen. My initial thought is that it is not what I expected...and that is a good thing. I expected the sound of U2 trying to "sound" like U2. I think this album sounds fresh. Yes - a few awkward moments - but overall it has a really solid sound to it.

I have to listen to it a few more times before I can give a decent review...but the 1st listen was good.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Rat Patrol »

I made up my mind around "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" that I was done having my consumer money being covertly funneled to warlords, so I'll pass. :shifty:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I get the distinct feeling even the staunchest U2 fans are half hearted about trying to big up the latest releases these days, I mean who can seriously drum up much interest in a millionaire pop star with a mini-god complex and currently in the midst of a mid-life crisis? They are a business and a stage act, not much more than that that I can see anyway.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I’d counter that by somewhat going back to a question I posed several weeks ago. I asked if there was a live retirement age for musicians, but to take it a step further: is there a general retirement age for musicians? I’m not a staunch U2 fan, but I’m a fan. I enjoy their music. I sometimes get the vibe that people hate on them simply because they’re an easy target. It’s easy to dismiss a bunch of millionaires who play gigantic stadium tours. I get that. If that is a valid argument, though, we should then write off a whole slew of rock stars. I’ll give U2 credit for at least trying to remain relevant. They could easily just coast at this point, but they’re still willing to put new music out there. I did have an issue when they toured The Joshua Tree recently. That felt like coasting on former glories. I’m just not going to hold it against them simply because they have been very successful. A good song is a good song.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I think there are loads of artists pushing on in years and still making vibrant, relevant music. Johnny Cash and Leonard Cohen were prime examples before their deaths. I’d willingly give a year or two of my life to have seen Joe grow old because I think he’d still be pushing on, looking for something new or some new way of expression, either with or without the Mescaleroes. I just think Bono has to do something different, lose the other 3 guys because, seriously, what do they bring to the party, other than standing rigidly and belting out the old standards on whatever super duper world tour? Yeah I know the edge and his guitar and his pedals and all that, but still....

I actually do like a lot of U2 songs, but doubt any from around the last 20 years or so.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 2:27pm
I’d counter that by somewhat going back to a question I posed several weeks ago. I asked if there was a live retirement age for musicians, but to take it a step further: is there a general retirement age for musicians? I’m not a staunch U2 fan, but I’m a fan. I enjoy their music. I sometimes get the vibe that people hate on them simply because they’re an easy target. It’s easy to dismiss a bunch of millionaires who play gigantic stadium tours. I get that. If that is a valid argument, though, we should then write off a whole slew of rock stars. I’ll give U2 credit for at least trying to remain relevant. They could easily just coast at this point, but they’re still willing to put new music out there. I did have an issue when they toured The Joshua Tree recently. That felt like coasting on former glories. I’m just not going to hold it against them simply because they have been very successful. A good song is a good song.
I hated them before it was cool.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I heard the new single the other day and the only impression it left on me was how bad the drums sounded.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 8:02pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I will drag out out my famous quote for its annual airing.
I was working in a record shop when U2 released Boy at the same time as Kilimanjaro was released and I boldly predicted that U2 would never be as big as Teardrop Explodes.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I think this should always get a mention too:

Heston

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 6:52am

Never seen that before, seriously guffawing here. :lol:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Seems as good a place as any to post this again...

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Low Down Low wrote:

Th at was awesome who is that guy? And the douchebag host correcting his pronunciation.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 12:18pm
Low Down Low wrote:

Th at was awesome who is that guy? And the douchebag host correcting his pronunciation.
The brilliant Sean Lock. The host is the rather irritating Jimmy Carr but to be fair I think he is just playing along here.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 12:53pm
the rather irritating Jimmy Carr
But you repeat yourself …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 5:45am
revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 8:02pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I will drag out out my famous quote for its annual airing.
I was working in a record shop when U2 released Boy at the same time as Kilimanjaro was released and I boldly predicted that U2 would never be as big as Teardrop Explodes.
Did you expect some kind of reward. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia