U2 - Songs of Experience

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 7:18pm
I really think U2 has the ability to make really good music. I know I won’t convince some of you and maybe they won’t ever find their way back, but I think they can.
Sorry. they can't.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 7:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 7:18pm
I really think U2 has the ability to make really good music. I know I won’t convince some of you and maybe they won’t ever find their way back, but I think they can.
Sorry. they can't.
I’d have to agree with you until they prove me wrong.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 4:16pm
Maybe my expectations were just so low after hating their new music for over 10 years, but I thought Songs Of Innocence was a surprisingly solid album which unfortunately got overshadowed by the whole Itunes giveaway thing. Songs Of Experience seems decent, nothing special but certainly not terrible. I'll never be passionate about the band again but I can't really ask for better albums from a 40+ year old band fronted by an unrelatable millionaire.
Not even from Springsteen?

"Trust the art, not the artist".
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

muppet hi fi wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 9:56pm
Jimmy Jazz wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 4:16pm
Maybe my expectations were just so low after hating their new music for over 10 years, but I thought Songs Of Innocence was a surprisingly solid album which unfortunately got overshadowed by the whole Itunes giveaway thing. Songs Of Experience seems decent, nothing special but certainly not terrible. I'll never be passionate about the band again but I can't really ask for better albums from a 40+ year old band fronted by an unrelatable millionaire.
Not even from Springsteen?

"Trust the art, not the artist".
I wasn't counting Bruce since he seems to still be able to relate to normal human experiences. I think Bono is too far gone from hanging out with celebrities on endless vacations in France. I used to think he was a great lyricist in the late 80s and early 90s. His lyrics have been mostly cringe-worthy nonsense for a while now, peaking with Get On Your Boots. These two latest albums have toned that down a little though.