U2 - Songs of Experience

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1364
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by WestwayKid » 01 Dec 2017, 1:15pm

I'm an unabashed U2 fan. Growing up in the 80's, coming of age in the 90's, and now coming to terms with growing older. They've always been in the background.

I greet each new release with the hope that it is great. They've been around long enough that they're at the point where they're never going to hit the heights of The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. I just always fear they'll put out a true clunker and yes - they've given us some missteps over the past couple of albums...but my hopes never quite dim.

Just got my hands on their new album and have given it one listen. My initial thought is that it is not what I expected...and that is a good thing. I expected the sound of U2 trying to "sound" like U2. I think this album sounds fresh. Yes - a few awkward moments - but overall it has a really solid sound to it.

I have to listen to it a few more times before I can give a decent review...but the 1st listen was good.

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 15218
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Rat Patrol » 01 Dec 2017, 1:47pm

I made up my mind around "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" that I was done having my consumer money being covertly funneled to warlords, so I'll pass. :shifty:
Image

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1467
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Low Down Low » 01 Dec 2017, 2:04pm

I get the distinct feeling even the staunchest U2 fans are half hearted about trying to big up the latest releases these days, I mean who can seriously drum up much interest in a millionaire pop star with a mini-god complex and currently in the midst of a mid-life crisis? They are a business and a stage act, not much more than that that I can see anyway.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1364
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by WestwayKid » 01 Dec 2017, 2:27pm

I’d counter that by somewhat going back to a question I posed several weeks ago. I asked if there was a live retirement age for musicians, but to take it a step further: is there a general retirement age for musicians? I’m not a staunch U2 fan, but I’m a fan. I enjoy their music. I sometimes get the vibe that people hate on them simply because they’re an easy target. It’s easy to dismiss a bunch of millionaires who play gigantic stadium tours. I get that. If that is a valid argument, though, we should then write off a whole slew of rock stars. I’ll give U2 credit for at least trying to remain relevant. They could easily just coast at this point, but they’re still willing to put new music out there. I did have an issue when they toured The Joshua Tree recently. That felt like coasting on former glories. I’m just not going to hold it against them simply because they have been very successful. A good song is a good song.

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1467
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Low Down Low » 01 Dec 2017, 3:54pm

I think there are loads of artists pushing on in years and still making vibrant, relevant music. Johnny Cash and Leonard Cohen were prime examples before their deaths. I’d willingly give a year or two of my life to have seen Joe grow old because I think he’d still be pushing on, looking for something new or some new way of expression, either with or without the Mescaleroes. I just think Bono has to do something different, lose the other 3 guys because, seriously, what do they bring to the party, other than standing rigidly and belting out the old standards on whatever super duper world tour? Yeah I know the edge and his guitar and his pedals and all that, but still....

I actually do like a lot of U2 songs, but doubt any from around the last 20 years or so.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6748
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by revbob » 01 Dec 2017, 8:02pm

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 2:27pm
I’d counter that by somewhat going back to a question I posed several weeks ago. I asked if there was a live retirement age for musicians, but to take it a step further: is there a general retirement age for musicians? I’m not a staunch U2 fan, but I’m a fan. I enjoy their music. I sometimes get the vibe that people hate on them simply because they’re an easy target. It’s easy to dismiss a bunch of millionaires who play gigantic stadium tours. I get that. If that is a valid argument, though, we should then write off a whole slew of rock stars. I’ll give U2 credit for at least trying to remain relevant. They could easily just coast at this point, but they’re still willing to put new music out there. I did have an issue when they toured The Joshua Tree recently. That felt like coasting on former glories. I’m just not going to hold it against them simply because they have been very successful. A good song is a good song.
I hated them before it was cool.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27917
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Heston » 02 Dec 2017, 3:12am

I heard the new single the other day and the only impression it left on me was how bad the drums sounded.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 16364
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by 101Walterton » 02 Dec 2017, 5:45am

revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 8:02pm
WestwayKid wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 2:27pm
I’d counter that by somewhat going back to a question I posed several weeks ago. I asked if there was a live retirement age for musicians, but to take it a step further: is there a general retirement age for musicians? I’m not a staunch U2 fan, but I’m a fan. I enjoy their music. I sometimes get the vibe that people hate on them simply because they’re an easy target. It’s easy to dismiss a bunch of millionaires who play gigantic stadium tours. I get that. If that is a valid argument, though, we should then write off a whole slew of rock stars. I’ll give U2 credit for at least trying to remain relevant. They could easily just coast at this point, but they’re still willing to put new music out there. I did have an issue when they toured The Joshua Tree recently. That felt like coasting on former glories. I’m just not going to hold it against them simply because they have been very successful. A good song is a good song.
I hated them before it was cool.
I will drag out out my famous quote for its annual airing.
I was working in a record shop when U2 released Boy at the same time as Kilimanjaro was released and I boldly predicted that U2 would never be as big as Teardrop Explodes.

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1467
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Low Down Low » 02 Dec 2017, 6:52am

I think this should always get a mention too:


Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27917
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Heston » 02 Dec 2017, 8:19am

Low Down Low wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 6:52am
I think this should always get a mention too:

Never seen that before, seriously guffawing here. :lol:
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27917
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Heston » 02 Dec 2017, 8:21am

Seems as good a place as any to post this again...

I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6748
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by revbob » 02 Dec 2017, 12:18pm

Low Down Low wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 6:52am
I think this should always get a mention too:

Th at was awesome who is that guy? And the douchebag host correcting his pronunciation.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27917
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Heston » 02 Dec 2017, 12:53pm

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 12:18pm
Low Down Low wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 6:52am
I think this should always get a mention too:

Th at was awesome who is that guy? And the douchebag host correcting his pronunciation.
The brilliant Sean Lock. The host is the rather irritating Jimmy Carr but to be fair I think he is just playing along here.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 76918
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Dec 2017, 1:04pm

Heston wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 12:53pm
the rather irritating Jimmy Carr
But you repeat yourself …
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I travel nowhere without Zabu!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 38033
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Marky Dread » 04 Dec 2017, 1:37am

101Walterton wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 5:45am
revbob wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 8:02pm
WestwayKid wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 2:27pm
I’d counter that by somewhat going back to a question I posed several weeks ago. I asked if there was a live retirement age for musicians, but to take it a step further: is there a general retirement age for musicians? I’m not a staunch U2 fan, but I’m a fan. I enjoy their music. I sometimes get the vibe that people hate on them simply because they’re an easy target. It’s easy to dismiss a bunch of millionaires who play gigantic stadium tours. I get that. If that is a valid argument, though, we should then write off a whole slew of rock stars. I’ll give U2 credit for at least trying to remain relevant. They could easily just coast at this point, but they’re still willing to put new music out there. I did have an issue when they toured The Joshua Tree recently. That felt like coasting on former glories. I’m just not going to hold it against them simply because they have been very successful. A good song is a good song.
I hated them before it was cool.
I will drag out out my famous quote for its annual airing.
I was working in a record shop when U2 released Boy at the same time as Kilimanjaro was released and I boldly predicted that U2 would never be as big as Teardrop Explodes.
Did you expect some kind of reward. ;)
"It's time to take the humanity back into the center of the ring and follow that for a time."
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests