Riot grrl recs

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Riot grrl recs

Post by Silent Majority »

Love me some Bikini Kill, Bratmobile, and Sleater Kinney. Well into my Le Tigre. Not a fan of L7 or Hole. Any alleyways you lot can send me down?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Riot grrl recs

Post by Dr. Medulla »

You've hit the key bands right there. The only other one that really comes to mind is Huggy Bear, an English riot grrrl band. There's at least one other album out there, but I haven't heard it. This is pretty dang good:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 2:01pm
Love me some Bikini Kill, Bratmobile, and Sleater Kinney. Well into my Le Tigre. Not a fan of L7 or Hole. Any alleyways you lot can send me down?
Blind ones.

Thee Headcoatees
Mambo Taxi

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex says: "4 Non Blondes"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 8:02pm
Flex says: "4 Non Blondes"
yeah, but also, i'm gonna play the "spice girls are riot grrl" right? card.

For realz tho, I'd also recommend Slant 6 and Jack Off Jill.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Who could forget Rock Bitch?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

My favorite:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

JennyB wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 3:36pm
My favorite:
I could never figure out what convenient "category" to put the Babes in: were they "grunge" (same timeline) or "riot grrrl"? I'm sure Lori would have just said they were rock n' roll.

My band with Katie O and Christine and bro Matt - Dutch Oven - was lumped into the same category as Babes, not least because they were good friends and heavy scenesters. Unfortunately they only recorded one single (after I'd left the band). Got a bunch of studio outtakes and rehearsal tapes, plus my last gig with them, but my burners fucked so can't upload to SoundCloud or whatever. And Babes In Toyland loved us (we were their main competition back then!).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

muppet hi fi wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 3:47pm
JennyB wrote:
My favorite:
I could never figure out what convenient "category" to put the Babes in: were they "grunge" (same timeline) or "riot grrrl"? I'm sure Lori would have just said they were rock n' roll.

My band with Katie O and Christine and bro Matt - Dutch Oven - was lumped into the same category as Babes, not least because they were good friends and heavy scenesters. Unfortunately they only recorded one single (after I'd left the band). Got a bunch of studio outtakes and rehearsal tapes, plus my last gig with them, but my burners fucked so can't upload to SoundCloud or whatever. And Babes In Toyland loved us (we were their main competition back then!).
Yeah. I almost didn't post Fontanelle because I am not sure if it would be considered Riot Grrl. I guess because I associate them so much with my own Riot Grrl phase (I was a sophomore in college when this album came out and I listened to it nonstop), that's why I posted it. Plus, it's a great album and everyone should give it a listen. I like Lori's assessment - she's always been my favorite anyway. I saw them a couple of years ago in a tiny club and got to talk to her for a minute. She's rad.

Thank you for that background about your band as well - that's so interesting! I would love to hear those outtakes sometime.
Got a Rake? Sure!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

JennyB wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 10:26am
muppet hi fi wrote:
JennyB wrote:
My favorite:

Yeah. I almost didn't post Fontanelle because I am not sure if it would be considered Riot Grrl. I guess because I associate them so much with my own Riot Grrl phase (I was a sophomore in college when this album came out and I listened to it nonstop), that's why I posted it. Plus, it's a great album and everyone should give it a listen. I like Lori's assessment - she's always been my favorite anyway. I saw them a couple of years ago in a tiny club and got to talk to her for a minute. She's rad.

Thank you for that background about your band as well - that's so interesting! I would love to hear those outtakes sometime.
Holy shit, Jenny! Just searched YouTube again and found Dutch Oven's single, "Whammy" b/w "Mary Ellen"! "Whammy" was a new one - harrowing stuff, all about Christine's mother dying in a car crash and Chris and her two sisters being raised by by their miserable and sometimes abusive fireman dad.

The b-side, "Marry Ellen", retains the exact arrangement that me (drums) and my brother Matt (lead guitar) worked up and used on our first 5 or 6 gigs, as the band did with all our older songs.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

muppet hi fi wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 1:51pm
JennyB wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
JennyB wrote:
My favorite:

Holy shit, Jenny! Just searched YouTube again and found Dutch Oven's single, "Whammy" b/w "Mary Ellen"! "Whammy" was a new one - harrowing stuff, all about Christine's mother dying in a car crash and Chris and her two sisters being raised by by their miserable and sometimes abusive fireman dad.

The b-side, "Marry Ellen", retains the exact arrangement that me (drums) and my brother Matt (lead guitar) worked up and used on our first 5 or 6 gigs, as the band did with all our older songs.
That's great stuff! Why did you leave the band if you don't mind me asking?
Got a Rake? Sure!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

JennyB wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 2:28pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
JennyB wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
JennyB wrote:
My favorite:

Ah, nothing traumatic or anything. Just that Matt and I fancied ourselves "professional" musicans (what a joke) and were playing in two other bands (one a lame ass cover band$$$), so we thought we'd...do better with our other gigs. D-U-M-B.

We still remained close friends with Katie and Chris; used to go see the new band often. I was friends/roommates with Katie from late grade school until her death in '98. Goddamn, how I miss her.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

muppet hi fi wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 2:40pm
JennyB wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 2:28pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
JennyB wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Ah, nothing traumatic or anything. Just that Matt and I fancied ourselves "professional" musicans (what a joke) and were playing in two other bands (one a lame ass cover band$$$), so we thought we'd...do better with our other gigs. D-U-M-B.

We still remained close friends with Katie and Chris; used to go see the new band often. I was friends/roommates with Katie from late grade school until her death in '98. Goddamn, how I miss her.
I'm so sorry about Katie.
Got a Rake? Sure!