Have you ever met John Lydon?

General music discussion.
vacuumcleaner
Corner Soul

Have you ever met John Lydon?

Post by vacuumcleaner »

Have you ever bumped into John Lydon, but not at one of his concerts? If so, what was he like?

Does he sign autographs like most other people?

I think he lives in Malibu and shops at Ralph's. But he sold his house about three years ago. He also became a US citizen.

He was so obnoxious when he was younger; back then I wouldn't even try to talk to him or even get close.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Have you ever met John Lydon?

Post by Marky Dread »

vacuumcleaner wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:21pm
Have you ever bumped into John Lydon, but not at one of his concerts? If so, what was he like?

Does he sign autographs like most other people?

I think he lives in Malibu and shops at Ralph's. But he sold his house about three years ago. He also became a US citizen.

He was so obnoxious when he was younger; back then I wouldn't even try to talk to him or even get close.
Yeah I've met John. He's very approachable in my opinion and signs all sorts of stuff. I don't know where he lives these days. I've not met him outside of concerts though. John was not obnoxious just protective remember during the punk years some people wanted to do him harm for having an opinion. John was always good to the fans he would write them and suggest what sounds to listen to like his reggae influences.

Some of his more recent drunken antics have been a bit disappointing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I had a friend who met him in a hotel in the 90s. John was very charming, but suddenly left, saying "I'm going to go to my room and drink now. You don't want to be around me when I do that."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Several times. I had dinner with him and Mick at the start of the 120Minutes Tour. He tried to be nice but he was guarded and a little awkward. That first night in Tampa he purposefully played twenty minutes past his allotted time supporting BAD II, and Mick stopped the promoter from pulling the plug on him out of respect for everything John has done. He was much worse on the last night at the Ritz in New York, actually causing his band mates (the ‘92 version of PiL) to apologize to us. He sat right in front of me at opening night for Don Letts’ “Punk Attitude” film in L.A. and flipped out when he saw the film was dedicated to Joe Strummer, embarassing Don. One night at dinner at Jesse Dylan’s house he tried to stab Gerry Harrington with a fork. His silly words on behalf of Trump were unsurprising (since he’s always been about shit stirring) but depressing. Steve Jones and Paul Cook are cool though. Glen’s a bit arrogant, but maybe he deserves his ego. I suspect John does have issues with drink.

Mick was just raving about how great the Pistols were on the Christmas ‘77 special from Huddlesfield. And that was with Sid!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 4:16am
Several times. I had dinner with him and Mick at the start of the 120Minutes Tour. He tried to be nice but he was guarded and a little awkward. That first night in Tampa he purposefully played twenty minutes past his allotted time supporting BAD II, and Mick stopped the promoter from pulling the plug on him out of respect for everything John has done. He was much worse on the last night at the Ritz in New York, actually causing his band mates (the ‘92 version of PiL) to apologize to us. He sat right in front of me at opening night for Don Letts’ “Punk Attitude” film in L.A. and flipped out when he saw the film was dedicated to Joe Strummer, embarassing Don. One night at dinner at Jesse Dylan’s house he tried to stab Gerry Harrington with a fork. His silly words on behalf of Trump were unsurprising (since he’s always been about shit stirring) but depressing. Steve Jones and Paul Cook are cool though. Glen’s a bit arrogant, but maybe he deserves his ego. I suspect John does have issues with drink.

Mick was just raving about how great the Pistols were on the Christmas ‘77 special from Huddlesfield. And that was with Sid!
So he still has it out for Joe? I thought he’d be over it by now. Is it the continued reverence or the canonization?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Lydon is a guy I'm predisposed to like and admire, but he consistently makes it very difficult. Not much of an amateur psychologist but he kind of comes across as a classic introvert to me, a well of deep shyness there that he's always tried to deflect.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

LDL, spot on. He is someone who has inspired me on many levels from an early age but I'm not sure I'd like to meet him. His recent antics have made him irrelevant to me but I still have great respect for him.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 8:45am
LDL, spot on. He is someone who has inspired me on many levels from an early age but I'm not sure I'd like to meet him. His recent antics have made him irrelevant to me but I still have great respect for him.
Same here. But I think he can be a complex character at times and extremely contradictory. Almost as if he is a little schizophrenic, I guess he was under the microscope at an early age from a nobody to front page news that generated a lot of hatred. I'm not making any excuses for his recent behaviour as I am appalled by it. As Teddy says it does seem like the demon drink has the better of him at times.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 10:33am
I guess he was under the microscope at an early age from a nobody to front page news that generated a lot of hatred.
I suspect his experience has a Sex Pistol was quite traumatic and established his personality from thereon. He became both a diva, the star who expected all others to orbit around, yet suspicious given his demonization in the media and hangers-on. Celebrity is bittersweet with him.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 10:53am
Marky Dread wrote:
I guess he was under the microscope at an early age from a nobody to front page news that generated a lot of hatred.
I suspect his experience has a Sex Pistol was quite traumatic and established his personality from thereon. He became both a diva, the star who expected all others to orbit around, yet suspicious given his demonization in the media and hangers-on. Celebrity is bittersweet with him.
Sounds about right mate. He has a fierce intelligence (street smart) and he will suss you out in a second. That is why it's all so disappointing regards to some of his current behaviour. His Trump comment is just... :meh:
Attachments
Trump.jpg
Trump.jpg (73.33 KiB) Viewed 4045 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

He's like some punk rock King Lear now, only he knows himself abundantly.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 11:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Sounds about right mate. He has a fierce intelligence (street smart) and he will suss you out in a second. That is why it's all so disappointing regards to some of his current behaviour. His Trump comment is just... :meh:
Yep backed up by him being the one to call out Jimmy Saville and the BBC years before anyone else dared to believe let alone speak out.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 2:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yep backed up by him being the one to call out Jimmy Saville and the BBC years before anyone else dared to believe let alone speak out.
I'm sure John will take the credit but it was Sid also that said that. In that particular interview they let on about a few targets.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Mick was just recently lauding him for that too. Sid too though, huh Marky? Someone who was liked personally by all the Clash before running completely off the rails.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 5:07am
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Mick was just recently lauding him for that too. Sid too though, huh Marky? Someone who was liked personally by all the Clash before running completely off the rails.
Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm sure there was an interview where both Sid and John mention various people they dislike. It's a long time ago now. Anyway who was going to listen to the Sex Pistols and take any notice of them bringing down such a well known public figure.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia