Have you ever met John Lydon?

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Have you ever met John Lydon?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When I was in elementary school (grades 1 to 6), the strap was still used as punishment. One memory that I doubt will ever leave me was one kid returning to class after getting the strap. We were watching a film strip, so the room was mostly dark, and he came in and his hands glowed like they were radioactive. I was already petrified of getting the strap, but that made my stomach flip.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 10:01pm
As I am sure you know Marky physical abuse in schools was pretty much the norm.
I knew at the time it was wrong and I had no respect for the teachers involved in it or those that did nothing.
I remember being caned one day. It was after they stopped doing it on your arse (nice of them) but I got 4 across each hand. The headmaster was just sadistic and enjoyed it but they had to have a witness. I just stared the teacher in the eye and he couldnt Even look at me whilst I was caned.
Yeah I got canned across the backside a couple of times and a size 12 plimsoul from P.E. teacher. I'm sure I've told this story here before. Anyway someone has had his bag rifled and his lunch has been half inched. He complains to the P.E. teacher who asks the class "who took the goods". No one is owning up so he decides he is going to use the Plimsoul on each of us. So one by one we go into his office and get our punishment. He would ask you to turn away from him then he would take a few steps back and then wack your backside. He was a big fucker and it hurt like hell. I was first in and took my punishment then the next in the que and so on until it got to this kid Nigel (yes there were a few Nigel's ho hum). We are all listening outside and we hear the teacher take his steps back then wack! But no sound from Nigel. Now that fucker would wack you so hard you would give a yelp as he made contact. So we hear the teacher take more steps and then wack! Still not a sound from Nigel then we heard the teacher ask Nigel what he had placed down the back of his trousers? "nothing sir" was Nigels reply. "Don't bloody lie to me boy!" says teacher and Nigel removes the math book he has down his strides. Then you hear the teacher take even more steps back and wack! Nigel screams out "arrrrgh fucking hell!" We all fall about laughing the teacher comes out of his office all red faced and we all leg it.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 27 Nov 2017, 12:15am, edited 2 times in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

All this stuff was par for the course back then. My step father who was a big guy (lorry driver) would think nothing of taking down mine and my brothers trousers and underwear and wacking our bare backsides if we we're playing up. Even to the extent of doing it to us when we had guests in the house. That kind of discipline is fucked up and for years I resented the fuck out of him. When I was fourteen I had had enough and I punched him down a flight of stairs then casually stepped over him as he lay at the bottom. I will never forget the look on his face. He never wacked me or my brother again. He's an old man now and we are friends. He regrets his actions from back then and has long since apologised. He would be in a world of shit nowadays but back then that kind of stuff was tolerated.

When I finally had children of my own (two sons) I always swore I would never wack then or let another hurt them in any way. So that circle of hate had been broken. My step father claimed he did it to us because his father had done the same to him. Bollocks to that feeble excuse says I.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I think I was one of the last people paddled in my school. I was 8.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 11:46pm
All this stuff was par for the course back then. My step father who was a big guy (lorry driver) would think nothing of taking down mine and my brothers trousers and underwear and wacking our bare backsides if we we're playing up. Even to the extent of doing it to us when we had guests in the house. That kind of discipline is fucked up and for years I resented the fuck out of him. When I was fourteen I had had enough and I punched him down a flight of stairs then casually stepped over him as he lay at the bottom. I will never forget the look on his face. He never wacked me or my brother again. He's an old man now and we are friends. He regrets his actions from back then and has long since apologised. He would be in a world of shit nowadays but back then that kind of stuff was tolerated.

When I finally had children of my own (two sons) I always swore I would never wack then or let another hurt them in any way. So that circle of hate had been broken. My step father claimed he did it to us because his father had done the same to him. Bollocks to that feeble excuse says I.
You are right Marky it is not an excuse although sadly people hide behind it. I knew as a kid it was wrong to dish out corporal punishment, not because I didn’t like it (actually preferred it to detention) or because I didn’t deserve punishment which I did I was a pain in the arse, but because it was just wrong.
I had a friend who’s kids were always fighting each other then he would whack them and say don’t hit your brother????
My dad never laid a finger in me and I would never lay a finger on my kids. Wouldn’t let anyone else touch them either which my parents did allow because that was the school rules which even they wouldn’t challenge.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Funnily enough I was just talking about corporal punishment with some old schoolfriends the other day on Facebook. Unreal what the teachers got away with.

One day when I was about 14 a mate of ours was due to have a fight after school with a lad from the neighbouring comprehensive. A few of us went along to watch but the other lad never turned up. We thought no more of it until the next day when we were called into the deputy head's office. He decided for the offence of going to watch a fight that never happened we would receive 6 strokes of the cane! The teacher in question was a PE teacher and a real hard nut who was notorious for his force with the cane. He called us in one by one and first in was the toughest lad in our year. We listened to the yelps of pain from outside and I was rather dismayed when the lad came out with tears steaming down his face and obviously in great discomfort. I was called in next and the pain is something I will never forget, he was putting every ounce of force he could muster into it. I tried to keep it quiet when I got home but my Mam and Dad realised I wasn't using my hands properly and demanded to look. I had bleeding welts across my palms which actually took about 3 or 4 weeks to fade.

My parents were obviously quite concerned and my Mam rang the school asking if such force was necessary, only to be fobbed off.

Fast forward a year or so and I was in a playground altercation which left me with a hand that was swollen like a pudding. I was took in a teacher's office and told to put my hand out for the cane. I informed the teacher of my swollen hand only to be told it was my own fault and to put that hand out for the cane. At this point I refused and was told to fuck off home as I was expelled and told not to come back.

On informing my Mam later that day she went fucking apeshit, telling me she'd sort those fuckers out. My mother can be quite formidable, she was head of her union for years and an active member of the far-left Militant tendency who got up to all kinds of political mischief in the 70s/80s.

She contacted an organization called STOPP, who were heavily involved in the campaign to end physical punishment in schools. My case went nationwide, my mother appearing (in silhouette form) on the BBC and ITV news, I even made page 4 of the Sun (referred to as Boy X or something). All this activity resulted in me being reinstated at school and corporal punishment was never dished out in our school again.

And happily, STOPP were eventually instrumental in getting caning banned in UK state schools. The thought of someone beating my daughter with a stick is repulsive and I'm glad this hideous practice has been stamped out.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 3:55am
Funnily enough I was just talking about corporal punishment with some old schoolfriends the other day on Facebook. Unreal what the teachers got away with.

One day when I was about 14 a mate of ours was due to have a fight after school with a lad from the neighbouring comprehensive. A few of us went along to watch but the other lad never turned up. We thought no more of it until the next day when we were called into the deputy head's office. He decided for the offence of going to watch a fight that never happened we would receive 6 strokes of the cane! The teacher in question was a PE teacher and a real hard nut who was notorious for his force with the cane. He called us in one by one and first in was the toughest lad in our year. We listened to the yelps of pain from outside and I was rather dismayed when the lad came out with tears steaming down his face and obviously in great discomfort. I was called in next and the pain is something I will never forget, he was putting every ounce of force he could muster into it. I tried to keep it quiet when I got home but my Mam and Dad realised I wasn't using my hands properly and demanded to look. I had bleeding welts across my palms which actually took about 3 or 4 weeks to fade.

My parents were obviously quite concerned and my Mam rang the school asking if such force was necessary, only to be fobbed off.

Fast forward a year or so and I was in a playground altercation which left me with a hand that was swollen like a pudding. I was took in a teacher's office and told to put my hand out for the cane. I informed the teacher of my swollen hand only to be told it was my own fault and to put that hand out for the cane. At this point I refused and was told to fuck off home as I was expelled and told not to come back.

On informing my Mam later that day she went fucking apeshit, telling me she'd sort those fuckers out. My mother can be quite formidable, she was head of her union for years and an active member of the far-left Militant tendency who got up to all kinds of political mischief in the 70s/80s.

She contacted an organization called STOPP, who were heavily involved in the campaign to end physical punishment in schools. My case went nationwide, my mother appearing (in silhouette form) on the BBC and ITV news, I even made page 4 of the Sun (referred to as Boy X or something). All this activity resulted in me being reinstated at school and corporal punishment was never dished out in our school again.

And happily, STOPP were eventually instrumental in getting caning banned in UK state schools. The thought of someone beating my daughter with a stick is repulsive and I'm glad this hideous practice has been stamped out.
All is good in the state of Hestonia!
No word of a lie and I will provide evidence if required but my headmaster was called Mr Caine.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Heston wrote:

Great story. Still angers me what some of my teachers got away with, several of religious persuasion, but never saw anyone stand up to the bastards. Not one.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 5:40am
Heston wrote:

All is good in the state of Hestonia!
No word of a lie and I will provide evidence if required but my headmaster was called Mr Caine.
Not a lot of people know that. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Helluva story, Heston. As unthinkable as the strap is to me now, when I was a kid I didn't think twice about whether it was just. It was as normal a part of school as tests and recess. Absolutely terrifying, sure, but whether it was acceptable was a non-issue. As far as I know, none of the other kids ever questioned its validity.

After my dad died back in 2001, my mother stayed in the house for another seven or eight years. When she sold and cleared out a lot of stuff, my siblings and I were invited to claim items of significance. I'm not especially sentimental but do have an affections for the perverse, so I claimed an old rug beater that hung in the hallway closet. My mother always referred to it to keep the kids in line when acting up too much. She says that she never actually used it on any of us, but my brother insists that he got spanked with it once. Anyway, it hangs up on a wall in our house now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 7:24am
Helluva story, Heston. As unthinkable as the strap is to me now, when I was a kid I didn't think twice about whether it was just. It was as normal a part of school as tests and recess. Absolutely terrifying, sure, but whether it was acceptable was a non-issue. As far as I know, none of the other kids ever questioned its validity.
In any other situation I would just have accepted it but the thought of accepting a caning on an injured hand just seemed wrong to me. The impending pain was also a factor.

My Mam told me an awful story about when her Grandmother was at school. Some undernourished young mite got thrashed with a cane only for the child's mother came up to the school and attack the teacher with the cane. Apparently the whole class sat frozen in silence as it happened, terrified of the repercussions it might bring down on them later.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 8:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In any other situation I would just have accepted it but the thought of accepting a caning on an injured hand just seemed wrong to me. The impending pain was also a factor.

My Mam told me an awful story about when her Grandmother was at school. Some undernourished young mite got thrashed with a cane only for the child's mother came up to the school and attack the teacher with the cane. Apparently the whole class sat frozen in silence as it happened, terrified of the repercussions it might bring down on them later.
God, that casual, routinized violence is so alien to consider now. That's the thing that amazes me to thing about it now. It's gone from totally normal to utterly unthinkable in the course of about a generation. From a teacher doing his job to facing assault charges.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 9:12am
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

God, that casual, routinized violence is so alien to consider now. That's the thing that amazes me to thing about it now. It's gone from totally normal to utterly unthinkable in the course of about a generation. From a teacher doing his job to facing assault charges.
You still see it occasionally. But it has at least been driven from the schools. Great work by Hestons mam.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 5:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 9:12am
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You still see it occasionally. But it has at least been driven from the schools. Great work by Hestons mam.
To be fair you cannot compare the teachers I had to the teachers my kids have. They are engaged, enthusiastic, professional and genuinely interested in making a difference to the kids. They could not be more different to the idiots at my school.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The rug beater that stood sentry in the hallway closet of my parents' home; now it hangs from the wall in a seldom-used bathroom in my house.