TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 5:07am
101Walterton wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 2:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 11:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 10:53am

I suspect his experience has a Sex Pistol was quite traumatic and established his personality from thereon. He became both a diva, the star who expected all others to orbit around, yet suspicious given his demonization in the media and hangers-on. Celebrity is bittersweet with him.
Sounds about right mate. He has a fierce intelligence (street smart) and he will suss you out in a second. That is why it's all so disappointing regards to some of his current behaviour. His Trump comment is just... :meh:
Yep backed up by him being the one to call out Jimmy Saville and the BBC years before anyone else dared to believe let alone speak out.
Mick was just recently lauding him for that too. Sid too though, huh Marky? Someone who was liked personally by all the Clash before running completely off the rails.
Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm sure there was an interview where both Sid and John mention various people they dislike. It's a long time ago now. Anyway who was going to listen to the Sex Pistols and take any notice of them bringing down such a well known public figure.
Clearly they didn’t listen which was the other point John made st the time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Have you ever met John Lydon?

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 6:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 10:39am
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 11:33am

Sounds about right mate. He has a fierce intelligence (street smart) and he will suss you out in a second. That is why it's all so disappointing regards to some of his current behaviour. His Trump comment is just... :meh:
Yep backed up by him being the one to call out Jimmy Saville and the BBC years before anyone else dared to believe let alone speak out.
Mick was just recently lauding him for that too. Sid too though, huh Marky? Someone who was liked personally by all the Clash before running completely off the rails.
Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm sure there was an interview where both Sid and John mention various people they dislike. It's a long time ago now. Anyway who was going to listen to the Sex Pistols and take any notice of them bringing down such a well known public figure.
If it had been you and no one would listen. Would you never mention it again?

I wonder if more has been made out of this. We know that many more than John knew about Saville and did nothing. But then what exactly did John do about it and what exactly did know about him. That interview where John says he would like to kill Saville doesn't tell us much and Saville is only one on John's kill list.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 7:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 6:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 10:39am
101Walterton wrote:

If it had been you and no one would listen. Would you never mention it again?

I wonder if more has been made out of this. We know that many more than John knew about Saville and did nothing. But then what exactly did John do about it and what exactly did know about him. That interview where John says he would like to kill Saville doesn't tell us much and Saville is only one on John's kill list.
I suspect Lydon knew Saville was a wrong un but not to the extent that was subsequently uncovered which is probably why he didn’t make more of a big deal of it. Lydon disliked a lot of people at the time not just Saville. You

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Yup. My thought is John saw him as a target because he was a member of the music establishment. I’m thinking he didn’t know how horrible he truly was. Just curious as an American, but did people suspect Saville before he was exposed?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I'm sure John knew alright. Maybe he'd only heard the rumours, listened to a few creepy stories doing the rounds, but he KNEW alright. Lots of people KNEW. Still, not sure how much credit I'd give him for that interview. He says after Savile's death that he'd tried to raise the issue all those years ago, yet he's smart enough to know that by saying what he does, there's zero chance of it being broadcast. He acknowledges the point himself. Nobody even knew the interview existed until it was leaked a couple of years back. When Jerry Sadowitz outed Savile as a child molester a few years later, he actually did it at one of his shows and I think he suffered for it afterwards.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 11:43am
I'm sure John knew alright. Maybe he'd only heard the rumours, listened to a few creepy stories doing the rounds, but he KNEW alright. Lots of people KNEW. Still, not sure how much credit I'd give him for that interview. He says after Savile's death that he'd tried to raise the issue all those years ago, yet he's smart enough to know that by saying what he does, there's zero chance of it being broadcast. He acknowledges the point himself. Nobody even knew the interview existed until it was leaked a couple of years back. When Jerry Sadowitz outed Savile as a child molester a few years later, he actually did it at one of his shows and I think he suffered for it afterwards.
Yeah I agree with all this. All I'm saying is that it appears John is taking credit for outing Saville when he didn't do anything really. What he actually knew we will never know. But all this praising him up for having the balls to speak out at time is a bit rich when all those people suffered in the intervening years. John speaking out achieved nothing it did nothing to help those people he did nothing. He would've been well aware that the BBC or whoever did that interview would never broadcast it. So why didn't he ever mention again after '78?

If he really knew what Saville was doing then he should've made a lot more noise. I doubt he knew anything other than Saville was a pervy looking git. If he knew more than that then he doesn't deserve any praise in my book as knowing and doing nothing is a terrible thing. I think they (Pistols) just saw all adults and media types as suspect no different to any other teenager except the average teen has no platform from which to voice their opinion.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 12:42pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah I agree with all this. All I'm saying is that it appears John is taking credit for outing Saville when he didn't do anything really. What he actually knew we will never know. But all this praising him up for having the balls to speak out at time is a bit rich when all those people suffered in the intervening years. John speaking out achieved nothing it did nothing to help those people he did nothing. He would've been well aware that the BBC or whoever did that interview would never broadcast it. So why didn't he ever mention again after '78?

If he really knew what Saville was doing then he should've made a lot more noise. I doubt he knew anything other than Saville was a pervy looking git. If he knew more than that then he doesn't deserve any praise in my book as knowing and doing nothing is a terrible thing. I think they (Pistols) just saw all adults and media types as suspect no different to any other teenager except the average teen has no platform from which to voice their opinion.
I liken it to being st school. We had teachers that were sbusive physically and we had teachers that were pervs. We knew it and we talked about it but never did anything about it because we didn’t think we could or that anyone would believe us. Sound familiar?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 2:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I liken it to being st school. We had teachers that were sbusive physically and we had teachers that were pervs. We knew it and we talked about it but never did anything about it because we didn’t think we could or that anyone would believe us. Sound familiar?
Absolutely. I had a paedophile teacher and sadist, a christian brother, for 2 years. Everybody, the whole town, knew this guy was a wrong 'un and apart from nods and winks, casual jokes and there but for the grace of gods, nobody ever stuck their head above the parapet and called him out on it. A guy i was friendly with at the time and whose family i know well was abused by him and I only learned this in the past year, several years after the monster was convicted and put behind bars. As for John, whatever he knew, I wouldnt hang any of the Savile stuff on him. There were guys high up in the BBC hampering their own journalists' investigations into Savile and others right up until his death. People in high places knew well what was going on and chose to do nothing to prevent it.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

We had a PE teacher that we knew was wrong. He would make everyone shower after PE which was fine but the showers were open communal showers and he would shower with us. He would also sit in the changing rooms to make sure everyone showered and if he caught anyone trying to dodge it he would make them undress then watch them shower. His punishment was a lunchtime shower to teach you a lesson.
I once made a comment under my breath and he hit me with a hockey stick he was holding.
We knew he was ‘wrong’ and knew he was getting a kick out of it but we were 14-15 and didn’t realise he was a paedophile. Therefore we had no reason to make a complaint or didn’t think we had a reason as he was just doing his job.
The assault with the hockey stick was just par for the course as corporal punishment was the norm so we didn’t know any different. Why would I tell my parents I was rude to a teacher? I thought I was in the wrong.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I get all that stuff and there are nasty people in all walks of life. However at school back in the 70's you had no power as a kid as such. The point I am making is that John is receiving credit for doing nothing when although it's easy to say no fucker is going to listen to a young punk who is public enemy. John was in the Pistols/PiL they are front page news. John writes about anarchy the Queen and abortion etc. He could of raised public awareness through his music or further interviews if he had been so inclined. Other than that banned interview I never heard it mentioned again.

So this leaves me to believe he didn't know as much as he now likes people to think he did. I saw John on that Piers Morgan tv show talking about Savile as "that cigar muncher" and gaining respect for speaking out against Savile back in '78 but what exactly did he really do? Mention him in an interview that didn't see the light of day until it was issued as an extra CD with the PiL first issue reissue in 2013 by light in the attic records. I wonder why they chose that particular interview out of all the others at that point in time to include on that set.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 3:47pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I get all that stuff and there are nasty people in all walks of life. However at school back in the 70's you had no power as a kid as such. The point I am making is that John is receiving credit for doing nothing when although it's easy to say no fucker is going to listen to a young punk who is public enemy. John was in the Pistols/PiL they are front page news. John writes about anarchy the Queen and abortion etc. He could of raised public awareness through his music or further interviews if he had been so inclined. Other than that banned interview I never heard it mentioned again.

So this leaves me to believe he didn't know as much as he now likes people to think he did. I saw John on that Piers Morgan tv show talking about Savile as "that cigar muncher" and gaining respect for speaking out against Savile back in '78 but what exactly did he really do? Mention him in an interview that didn't see the light of day until it was issued as an extra CD with the PiL first issue reissue in 2013 by light in the attic records. I wonder why they chose that particular interview out of all the others at that point in time to include on that set.
You're 100% right on this. I'd forgotten they'd released the interview themselves and had it in mind it had just somehow found its way onto the www. Very disingenuous to claim credit for saying something he knew would never see the light of day the instant it left his mouth. I'd guess he knew nothing beyond rumour and innuendo. Even in that interview he doesn't accuse Savile directly, just says he wants to kill him because he's a hypocrite and a bit seedy and this after saying he wanted to kill Mick Jagger and around 200 others too, so how seriously did he expect people to take him?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 3:27pm
We had a PE teacher that we knew was wrong. He would make everyone shower after PE which was fine but the showers were open communal showers and he would shower with us. He would also sit in the changing rooms to make sure everyone showered and if he caught anyone trying to dodge it he would make them undress then watch them shower. His punishment was a lunchtime shower to teach you a lesson.
I once made a comment under my breath and he hit me with a hockey stick he was holding.
We knew he was ‘wrong’ and knew he was getting a kick out of it but we were 14-15 and didn’t realise he was a paedophile. Therefore we had no reason to make a complaint or didn’t think we had a reason as he was just doing his job.
The assault with the hockey stick was just par for the course as corporal punishment was the norm so we didn’t know any different. Why would I tell my parents I was rude to a teacher? I thought I was in the wrong.
Fuck, sounds like our guy's evil twin. Our hero did the communal shower thing too, patrolling it like a hawk in case any kid dared to try and enter wearing shorts. He also introduced compulsory gynmastics to the school at which he was a creepily and very literally "hands on" instructor. Gives me the creeps thinking about it. I'd guess he was a classic type of his ilk, in that he was mostly one of the most charming teachers I'd ever had until, sometimes without warning, he'd fly into a rage and seriously beat the lard out of a 10 or 11 year old kid.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 5:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 3:47pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

You're 100% right on this. I'd forgotten they'd released the interview themselves and had it in mind it had just somehow found its way onto the www. Very disingenuous to claim credit for saying something he knew would never see the light of day the instant it left his mouth. I'd guess he knew nothing beyond rumour and innuendo. Even in that interview he doesn't accuse Savile directly, just says he wants to kill him because he's a hypocrite and a bit seedy and this after saying he wanted to kill Mick Jagger and around 200 others too, so how seriously did he expect people to take him?
Yep that's spot on my point mate. It feels a bit set up to me. Then to claim credit and have everyone go "well done John" when he actually did fuck all.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 3:27pm
Freddie will get that fucker!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

As I am sure you know Marky physical abuse in schools was pretty much the norm.
I knew at the time it was wrong and I had no respect for the teachers involved in it or those that did nothing.
I remember being caned one day. It was after they stopped doing it on your arse (nice of them) but I got 4 across each hand. The headmaster was just sadistic and enjoyed it but they had to have a witness. I just stared the teacher in the eye and he couldnt Even look at me whilst I was caned.