Favorite band that never caught on in your home country?

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Favorite band that never caught on in your home country?

Post by Heston »

eumaas wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 11:23pm
The Panic Report.
Only big in Kazakhstan unfortunately.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 6:08am
eumaas wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 11:23pm
The Panic Report.
Only big in Kazakhstan unfortunately.
Yeah but you beat Borat to number 1. That's an achievement mate. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

laxman wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 5:01pm
WestwayKid wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 4:51pm
laxman wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 4:36pm
WestwayKid wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 4:20pm
April 6th is a long time to wait! :mrgreen:

I also got the email this morning and put in my pre-order. Can't wait.

No tour dates in the US, but then I wasn't expecting any. Oh well.

My opinion is biased because I'm a longtime fan, but they really are one of the best bands ever. I kind of indirectly named my son after James. We wanted a "classic" name that had not been used on either side of the family. We had bought a new house and I spent most of the summer of 2009 fixing it up and I played the heck out of Journal for Plague Lovers. If it would have been a LP or a cassette I would have worn it out and one afternoon I was painting a bedroom closet and the name James just jumped out at me - probably because I had the name question at the back of my mind and because that album was playing on my iPod - so while I didn't directly decide that we would name our son after Mr. Bradfield - he did serve as a direct inspiration for the name choice!

Maybe one day my son will think that is cool! Ha!
I managed to sneak in Joe as my son's middle name. Michael Joseph Nicholas Paul got rejected by Mrs Laxman for some reason!
What about Michael Joseph Terence Paul? :mrgreen:

Joseph Paul Peter Nick Gregory? :mrgreen:

Ha ha, no chance, I reckon she prefers London Calling to s/t and even I would have objected to the second one!
I tried to get VH to agree to having VH, Jr.'s middle name be Strummer, but he put his foot down on that one. In all fairness, Ari Strummer Bernstein would have sounded pretty stupid.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 10:44am
laxman wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
laxman wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 4:20pm
April 6th is a long time to wait! :mrgreen:

I also got the email this morning and put in my pre-order. Can't wait.

No tour dates in the US, but then I wasn't expecting any. Oh well.

My opinion is biased because I'm a longtime fan, but they really are one of the best bands ever. I kind of indirectly named my son after James. We wanted a "classic" name that had not been used on either side of the family. We had bought a new house and I spent most of the summer of 2009 fixing it up and I played the heck out of Journal for Plague Lovers. If it would have been a LP or a cassette I would have worn it out and one afternoon I was painting a bedroom closet and the name James just jumped out at me - probably because I had the name question at the back of my mind and because that album was playing on my iPod - so while I didn't directly decide that we would name our son after Mr. Bradfield - he did serve as a direct inspiration for the name choice!

Maybe one day my son will think that is cool! Ha!
I managed to sneak in Joe as my son's middle name. Michael Joseph Nicholas Paul got rejected by Mrs Laxman for some reason!

Ha ha, no chance, I reckon she prefers London Calling to s/t and even I would have objected to the second one!
I tried to get VH to agree to having VH, Jr.'s middle name be Strummer, but he put his foot down on that one. In all fairness, Ari Strummer Bernstein would have sounded pretty stupid.
Most kids' names sound pretty stupid these days. Everyone has to be "unique."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 1:42pm
JennyB wrote:
laxman wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
laxman wrote:

Yeah. I know a kid named Recker.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
laxman wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
laxman wrote:

Maybe it's different now that so many kids have non-standard names, but whenever I hear about parents getting creative, I think about the shit that kid is going to have to endure growing up, getting teased by other kids because of their name. Some friends of ours named their boy Jack and I told them, "Excellent job. You haven't hamstrung him from the start."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 1:55pm
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
laxman wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Maybe it's different now that so many kids have non-standard names, but whenever I hear about parents getting creative, I think about the shit that kid is going to have to endure growing up, getting teased by other kids because of their name. Some friends of ours named their boy Jack and I told them, "Excellent job. You haven't hamstrung him from the start."
OTOH, being in class with 10 other Jennifers was very annoying.

Ari is surprisingly the only Ari at his (Jewish) school. There are several Noams, Omris and Ezras, but no other Aris.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 2:01pm
Ari is surprisingly the only Ari at his (Jewish) school. There are several Noams, Omris and Ezras, but no other Aris.
Clearly, not as many people are willing to take their Entourage fandom to your level. :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 1:50pm
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
laxman wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Yeah. I know a kid named Recker.
Recker? Damn near killed’er.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Apparently, our thing is giving kids nothing but last names. We have “Jackson Maxwell Goodman Wolter” already (he actually has two middle names, not a compound last name.) We’re on lockdown about the new one’s tentative name, but so far it’s a similar pattern.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 2:12pm
Apparently, our thing is giving kids nothing but last names. We have “Jackson Maxwell Goodman Wolter” already (he actually has two middle names, not a compound last name.) We’re on lockdown about the new one’s tentative name, but so far it’s a similar pattern.
So thoughtful. Burns Flexerson Goodman does have a pretty nice ring to it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 2:12pm
Hear me out: Every surname of the College of Coaches. True, the birth certificate will go on for a few pages, but just muse about it.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I named my daughter after a John Lennon song. At the time there was one B list celebrity in UK with the same name but now she is 16 there are loads of them. I must have started a trend.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 2:18pm
I named my daughter after a John Lennon song. At the time there was one B list celebrity in UK with the same name but now she is 16 there are loads of them. I must have started a trend.
Imagine Walterton; I like it!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

laxman wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 3:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 2:18pm
Imagine Walterton; I like it!
Don't be a fool. It's #9 Dream Walterton.