Favorite band that never caught on in your home country?

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Favorite band that never caught on in your home country?

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 8:53pm
Heston wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 8:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 8:29pm
laxman wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 3:01pm
Heston wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:36pm

I sneaked in Joe for my daughter's middle name and also got my Kinks fandom satisfied by naming her Lola. Win, win.
Nice work!
What he hasn't told you is about is his son which he abandoned at birth after christening him Gene Black Diamond Destroyer Heston.
He just wasn't destined to be part of the dynasty.
Because you spent too many crazy nights with that prostitute Christine Sixteen allowing her to have fun with your love gun. That kid should of had great expectations but only ended up with sweet pain.
Your knowledge of KISS songs is scary yet comforting.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 9:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

Nice work!
What he hasn't told you is about is his son which he abandoned at birth after christening him Gene Black Diamond Destroyer Heston.
Because you spent too many crazy nights with that prostitute Christine Sixteen allowing her to have fun with your love gun. That kid should of had great expectations but only ended up with sweet pain.
I've been feeling unwell. I've been burning up with fever I think I'm radioactive.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

Nice work!
I've been feeling unwell. I've been burning up with fever I think I'm radioactive.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 9:35pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hello,

You mean you're hot, hot, hotter than....?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 10:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 9:35pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Hello,

You mean you're hot, hot, hotter than....?
😁

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 11:28pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 11:18pm
Heston wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 11:10pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 11:02pm
Heston wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:46pm

I don't get that "British vocal" thing, even Madness had a couple of hits in the US.

And yeah, for the Small Faces see Don Arden.
Yeah but I think Madness were viewed as a quaint novelty act, you weren't meant to take them seriously. The Jam were obviously, even to dumbass American record company types, pretty heavy hitters. And really, aside from Clash, who has really made a big noise in the US with thick UK accent? Not the Beatles, not the Stones, not the Who, not the Kinks...that's why it it's daft that Small Faces didn't get a big push here, as Marriot sounded as American as Lennon/Macca, Jagger/Richards, Daltrey/Townshend, etc.
Thick accents or not, songs like Town Called Malice and Going Underground should have at least dented the charts. Bona fide classics.
No shit. And hey, I did get to see them on the 'Setting Sons' tour (with Sam & Dave opening!!). And they got a LOT more stone classics than just those two brilliant songs.
There's more to The Jam not being big in America than Americans liking them. Weller's attitude towards playing America wasn't great at the time and the stupid way they were promoted by the US label. I'm sure they toured with Blue Oyster Cult also. What a mismatch. Weller couldn't wait to come home.
I think that's true. British bands at that time had to work their asses off to make it in America and perhaps the Jam were half hearted about it. Sure they toured the US most years but those tours lasted barely more than a month in most cases and compared to the Police, one of the few UK acts to actually make the breakthrough, who spent 5 months touring the US in 1979 alone (and were back there again in January the following year), it pales into insignificance. The Boomtown Rats were another band who never had a US hit. I remember Geldof once bemoaning the fact that MTV had come 2 or 3 years too late for them and he had a point. Even the likes of A Flock of Seagulls were having top 10 hits a few years later on the back of simply having their videos played on live television across the nation.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 11:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 11:02pm

Yeah but I think Madness were viewed as a quaint novelty act, you weren't meant to take them seriously. The Jam were obviously, even to dumbass American record company types, pretty heavy hitters. And really, aside from Clash, who has really made a big noise in the US with thick UK accent? Not the Beatles, not the Stones, not the Who, not the Kinks...that's why it it's daft that Small Faces didn't get a big push here, as Marriot sounded as American as Lennon/Macca, Jagger/Richards, Daltrey/Townshend, etc.
Thick accents or not, songs like Town Called Malice and Going Underground should have at least dented the charts. Bona fide classics.
No shit. And hey, I did get to see them on the 'Setting Sons' tour (with Sam & Dave opening!!). And they got a LOT more stone classics than just those two brilliant songs.
There's more to The Jam not being big in America than Americans liking them. Weller's attitude towards playing America wasn't great at the time and the stupid way they were promoted by the US label. I'm sure they toured with Blue Oyster Cult also. What a mismatch. Weller couldn't wait to come home.
I think that's true. British bands at that time had to work their asses off to make it in America and perhaps the Jam were half hearted about it. Sure they toured the US most years but those tours lasted barely more than a month in most cases and compared to the Police, one of the few UK acts to actually make the breakthrough, who spent 5 months touring the US in 1979 alone (and were back there again in January the following year), it pales into insignificance. The Boomtown Rats were another band who never had a US hit. I remember Geldof once bemoaning the fact that MTV had come 2 or 3 years too late for them and he had a point. Even the likes of A Flock of Seagulls were having top 10 hits a few years later on the back of simply having their videos played on live television across the nation.
The Jam were one of the hardest working bands out there. I’d say it was more likely they didn’t want to spend time in America or too far from home.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 11:03pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

The Jam were one of the hardest working bands out there. I’d say it was more likely they didn’t want to spend time in America or too far from home.
Yeah Weller hated it at first. But his attitude was all wrong. Here's Weller a massive Mod fan so you would think he would revel in the fact of visiting the country where all that amazing soul music was made.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Sure, didn't mean they weren't a hard working group, just maybe half-hearted about breaking the states.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 11:22pm
101Walterton wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Sure, didn't mean they weren't a hard working group, just maybe half-hearted about breaking the states.
I think a lot of English bands got lost in the idea of going to America without a genuine understanding of the vastness of the places they were touring. Here in the UK it was so much easier to make a name for yourself.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 8:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 8:42pm
Heston wrote:

I didn't realize the Only Ones were so big in the UK. I'm going to have to read up some more.
Umm great band but far from big in the UK. Their biggest and best known song "Another Girl, Another Planet" was not even a hit here until it was re-released in 1992 and then it only reached 57 in the charts.
You dare to contradict muppet?
Fucking great Gonzo more like.
Oh SNAP
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 12:19am
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 8:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 8:42pm

I didn't realize the Only Ones were so big in the UK. I'm going to have to read up some more.
Umm great band but far from big in the UK. Their biggest and best known song "Another Girl, Another Planet" was not even a hit here until it was re-released in 1992 and then it only reached 57 in the charts.
You dare to contradict muppet?
Fucking great Gonzo more like.
Oh SNAP
It's OK the boy is like a brother to me. He totally gets me so I await his abusive retort like an early Xmas present.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

This thread has me stumped can’t come up with anything???

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 2:46pm
Take the word "Favorite" from the thread tite and it becomes a little easier.

The Higsons
The Mighty Lemon Drops
The Men They Couldn’t Hang
Rip Rig + Panic
The Pale Fountains
Marion
My Life Story
3 Colours Red
These Animal Men
Mansun
Kinky Machine
Kingmaker
Curve
Shack
The Auteurs

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 3:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 2:46pm
Take the word "Favorite" from the thread tite and it becomes a little easier.

The Higsons
The Mighty Lemon Drops
The Men They Couldn’t Hang
Rip Rig + Panic
The Pale Fountains
Marion
My Life Story
3 Colours Red
These Animal Men
Mansun
Kinky Machine
Kingmaker
Curve
Shack
The Auteurs
I thought it was to be bands that were big at home but didnt catch on overseas.