The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Silent Majority »

I'm at the "dining out on former glories" part of my career. Find me opening a mall in Utica, responding to questions with Bo Diddley. To the sound of polite applause.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 6:39pm
I'm at the "dining out on former glories" part of my career. Find me opening a mall in Utica, responding to questions with Bo Diddley. To the sound of polite applause.
And I'll still be excited as all get out for you to sign my left boob.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 7:23pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Lewisham Odeon 80 Tapes Will Emerge - JM, using a nipple as a full stop.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 7:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 7:23pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Lewisham Odeon 80 Tapes Will Emerge - JM, using a nipple as a full stop.
Finally, Clash fans—more than Hoy, I mean—will lust for my body.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Silent Majority wrote:
I'm confused by this here post, particularly the bit about St. Ellas McDaniel. And more especially - why His Name is being invoked on a Smiths/Mos thread. Do clarify, if you would. Cheers.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

muppet hi fi wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 11:53pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I'm confused by this here post, particularly the bit about St. Ellas McDaniel. And more especially - why His Name is being invoked on a Smiths/Mos thread. Do clarify, if you would. Cheers.
Oh, its a series of in-jokes which, on reflection, would take an oppressively long time to explain. Let me cover a bit. Strummer did an interview with Robert Fripp for Musician magazine and was asked what his influences were and said Bo Diddley. When pushed for more, he said Bo Diddley in italics.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Silent Majority wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 3:56am
muppet hi fi wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 11:53pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Oh, its a series of in-jokes which, on reflection, would take an oppressively long time to explain. Let me cover a bit. Strummer did an interview with Robert Fripp for Musician magazine and was asked what his influences were and said Bo Diddley. When pushed for more, he said Bo Diddley in italics.
Ah, I see. Yep, that was a great interview - both Joe and Fripp admitting to loving Abba, and Joe admitting to loving King Crimson. Still have that interview in the 1981 best-of Musician book.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Inder wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 12:33am
The Smiths cost us the White House.

BostonBeaneater

I get Marr’s guitar and the hooks. How in the name of decency anyone enjoys the autofellacio of morrissey is beyond me. He’s an indecent douche bag in a way worse than rich lacrosse cunts I knew in high school. He’s a Trump contemporary in my book. He’s a self involved narcissistic asshole who is contrary to all I believe.

BostonBeaneater

Anyways, apologies to all but I don’t buy any Morrisey. His Ramones review told me all I need to know.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 1:24am
Anyways, apologies to all but I don’t buy any Morrisey. His Ramones review told me all I need to know.
"When I bought the Ramones first album on import, I was enraged with jealousy because I felt they had booted the New York Dolls off the map. I was 100% wrong. Three days after writing that Ramones piece, I realized that my love for the Ramones would out-live time itself. And it shall. Well, it virtually has already. If the Ramones were alive today, they'd be the biggest band in the world."

Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 1:20am
I get Marr’s guitar and the hooks. How in the name of decency anyone enjoys the autofellacio of morrissey is beyond me. He’s an indecent douche bag in a way worse than rich lacrosse cunts I knew in high school. He’s a Trump contemporary in my book. He’s a self involved narcissistic asshole who is contrary to all I believe.
I think he's become nothing more than an aging rock star trying to remain relevant by saying stupid things - thinking he's provocative when he's really just a huge bore. I'm a fan - but he's become very hard to like in recent years. We had tickets to see him in Chicago around 2014 and he seriously cancelled about 3 times. I've seen him live enough times that I won't bother again.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I posted this in the Sunny thread, but this is worth posting twice:

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

It's Morrissey inception (forward to 4:08)

Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps