The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A couple passages from JM's memoir suggests it's more him writing independently, with Morrissey coming in later:
New songs usually started with me recording the music on to a cassette and then giving it to Morrissey to write his lyrics and vocal lines, which he would complete within a day or two. Other times we would get together at my place and sit face to face, about three feet away from each other, while I played my new tune into a tape recorder that was balanced between my knees.
As I went around and around, the tune started to get psychedelic in my headphones and I knew I was on to something. I programmed a simple beat on the “drum machine and recorded the hypnotic rhythm guitar, and then came up with a two-note phrase that I put on top. What I’d done was nothing like the other two songs, and nothing like anything the band had done before either. When Angie got back I played her the demo and she thought it was great. Then I took the cassette of the three songs round to Morrissey’s, having written ‘Fast’, ‘Irish Waltz’ and ‘Swampy’ on it. He worked on it for a few days, and when he’d finished the lyrics the songs became ‘William, It Was Really Nothing’, ‘Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want’ and ‘How Soon Is Now?’.
He does say, however, that with some of their earliest songs he received words from Morrissey and worked from there.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 9:43am
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 8:34pm
Here's what I do know "Half A Person" was allegedly written on the studio's fire escape. Morrissey would also often right down the title of the song and Marr would try to write music he thought suited the title.
Didn't JM say that was the only song they ever wrote together? I.E. face-to-face in the same room?
Maybe mate. I don't know if he said "only" or "one of" the few songs they wrote together. But directness is not really the point I'm making. When you write and record you still have certain ideas and a style already in mind. With Morrissey being such an odd fellow and someone who didn't really fit the mould of the typical rock n roll singer Johnny would've known he couldn't come up with certain sounds as they wouldn't be tolerated by Morrissey. Remember the early cover version of that Cookies Boyfriend song they liked? They chose it for a reason and the same for the cover art to "Hand in Glove" chosen for a purpose a sense of style and to push through a message all these things would be pivotal in providing an influence on Marrs guitar sound. Johnny may never have seen a finished lyric by Morrissey who knows. One thing is for certain they would've discussed their distinct style sound image etc plenty of times face to face.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 2:31pm
So go home already and listen to your records/CD's you sad person, duh!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 3:17pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Also that kid's style really pisses me off. It's going to do something weird to my lawn, I just know it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 4:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Also that kid's style really pisses me off. It's going to do something weird to my lawn, I just know it.
:lol:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

https://www.avclub.com/morrissey-has-so ... 1820574028

It's almost as if he stopped being a sentient being years ago and was algorithmized into a sort of Instagram filter...but for Twitter...that simply "Moz-ifies" the most horrible-sounding tweets of the day.

Or he's just shoveling hottakez randomly at the wall in a desperate bid for...?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 8:17pm
https://www.avclub.com/morrissey-has-so ... 1820574028

It's almost as if he stopped being a sentient being years ago and was algorithmized into a sort of Instagram filter...but for Twitter...that simply "Moz-ifies" the most horrible-sounding tweets of the day.

Or he's just shoveling hottakez randomly at the wall in a desperate bid for...?
Didn't we cover this further up thread?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:45am
A couple passages from JM's memoir suggests it's more him writing independently, with Morrissey coming in later:
New songs usually started with me recording the music on to a cassette and then giving it to Morrissey to write his lyrics and vocal lines, which he would complete within a day or two. Other times we would get together at my place and sit face to face, about three feet away from each other, while I played my new tune into a tape recorder that was balanced between my knees.
As I went around and around, the tune started to get psychedelic in my headphones and I knew I was on to something. I programmed a simple beat on the “drum machine and recorded the hypnotic rhythm guitar, and then came up with a two-note phrase that I put on top. What I’d done was nothing like the other two songs, and nothing like anything the band had done before either. When Angie got back I played her the demo and she thought it was great. Then I took the cassette of the three songs round to Morrissey’s, having written ‘Fast’, ‘Irish Waltz’ and ‘Swampy’ on it. He worked on it for a few days, and when he’d finished the lyrics the songs became ‘William, It Was Really Nothing’, ‘Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want’ and ‘How Soon Is Now?’.
He does say, however, that with some of their earliest songs he received words from Morrissey and worked from there.
Yep all as I thought. I would think it virtually impossible for Marr to write such great music without some idea of what that music would become. Otherwise he would've continued to make just instrumental music. No one is disputing what a great player Johhny is but you still have to credit Morrissey with those great lyrics and style of the band. Johnny would've eventually found another band to play in or form another but whether they would've been as influential as The Smiths is a debate all of it's own.

Maybe when The Smiths split up Morrissey should've continued as The Smith. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BostonBeaneater

Marky Dread wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
No Marr, no Moz. Moz is a cunt bigot who deserves a porkslap in his pasty douchebag face. He’s lucky Trump is around to make him look vaguely more human.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
No Marr, no Moz. Moz is a cunt bigot who deserves a porkslap in his pasty douchebag face. He’s lucky Trump is around to make him look vaguely more human.
You may be right regards Moz and the bigotry. I can't tell just how much is bullshit and becoming news. Either way I dislike it.

I don't agree with the No Marr, No Moz thing though. Morrissey is a much bigger star than Marr. The frontman always does better than the guitar player because having the voice people listen regardless of you being a tosser or not. It's easy to get another guitar player even if you can't replace his inventiveness you can get someone to emulate his style but it's not so easy to replace a frontman as that's who most people associate being the focal point. Just the way it is.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:46pm
No Marr, no Moz.
I'm not having that :)
Marr without Moz = Bryan Ferry's The Right Stuff
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

BostonBeaneater

Actually, no Moz period. The guy is human waste who fights a war on happiness.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 1:23pm
Actually, no Moz period. The guy is human waste who fights a war on happiness.
He's done a great job on you. As you are still talking about him. So Morrissey 1 BostonBeaneater 0. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »