oliver wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 4:38pm
Kory wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 1:55pm
WestwayKid wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 7:07am
oliver wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 5:54am
This is probably only of interest to completists but the deluxe edition of Low in High School came out this week.

I found the first half of the original album to be really strong and the second half to be really weak. What I don't get is why the 3 new studio songs on the deluxe edition were originally left off. You drop the three weakest songs for these and it's a 8 or 9 out of 10 album instead of a 5 or 6

The cover art is so much nicer too
I was thinking about picking it up...but now I definitely will as you've got me intrigued about the new studio tracks. I agree with your assessment of the album: it definitely losses steam by the second half.
Huh, I like the second half. Oh well.
The deluxe edition is on Spotify if you want to check out the new originals. I'm loving Lover-To-Be
Knowing me, I'm probably just going to buy it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 8:15pm
oliver wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
oliver wrote:
This is probably only of interest to completists but the deluxe edition of Low in High School came out this week.

I found the first half of the original album to be really strong and the second half to be really weak. What I don't get is why the 3 new studio songs on the deluxe edition were originally left off. You drop the three weakest songs for these and it's a 8 or 9 out of 10 album instead of a 5 or 6

I was thinking about picking it up...but now I definitely will as you've got me intrigued about the new studio tracks. I agree with your assessment of the album: it definitely losses steam by the second half.
The deluxe edition is on Spotify if you want to check out the new originals. I'm loving Lover-To-Be
Racist. :shifty:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 8:39pm
Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Only against people trying to get into England, and the Chinese. That's not very many.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 8:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 8:39pm
Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:
Kory wrote:

Only against people trying to get into England, and the Chinese. That's not very many.
Fine, I owe you one soy and kelp pizza.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Kory wrote:
I consider LiHS one of his weaker albums and this is the third time I've bought it so I know what you mean.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
oliver wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
oliver wrote:

I just bought it. I'm a Smiths/Morrissey completest in the sense I want to have every song. I'll listen to them at work today.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dale Hibbert, who if "A Light That Never Goes Out" by Tony Fletcher is correct, was only in The Smiths for 5 minutes because he worked at Decibelle Studios says he has the full demo they recorded there and has cleaned it up. Not only that but he's going to upload it somewhere.

He has put some teasers on a youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCityEr ... ys3wKst4UQ

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 4:11pm
Dale Hibbert, who if "A Light That Never Goes Out" by Tony Fletcher is correct, was only in The Smiths for 5 minutes because he worked at Decibelle Studios says he has the full demo they recorded there and has cleaned it up. Not only that but he's going to upload it somewhere.

He has put some teasers on a youtube page
Wow fascinating stuff. I wish they had used the names over the end of the track. Maybe it was all still too raw.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dale Hibbert has posted the full length version of "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 10:04am
Dale Hibbert has posted the full length version of "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle"

Fantastic!!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Full version of Suffer LIttle Children is up

And a teaser for "I Want A Boy For My Birthday"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've been playing a lot of Smiths/Morrissey recently. I know there are those who can't stand the way Morrissey sings and what can I say...haters gonna hate... ;)

Personally...I don't like the 2019 version of Morrissey for obvious reasons...but I still like him musically.

I bought my first Morrissey album in October 1991 - a cassette copy of Bona Drag from the cut out bin of a local chain record store. I was aware of Moz and the Smiths because I had an older cousin who was a big fan. I played the heck out of that cassette and then tracked down cassette versions of Viva Hate and the recently released Kill Uncle (which I never liked). The first CD I ever owned was Strangeways...Here We Come - which I purchased in the winter of 1991. I was hooked quickly - and then in late 1992 I saw Morrissey live for the first time (it was a great show).

My fandom has cooled over the past decade due to inconsistent recent albums and because I just find Morrissey to be a really obnoxious human being (and because the last time I had tickets to see him he postponed 2 days before the concert and then postponed the make up date and then finally cancelled).

That said - as I listen to a lot of his solo stuff - I'm finding that I still really like it. Not sure where I'm going with this post - but maybe just an intro for some more meandering discussions of his back catalog as I continue to listen!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Setting apart his politics and personality, I got off the train at Maladjusted. Boring as hell, with the added whining about Mike Joyce. What's odd is that the album before, Southpaw Grammar, is probably my favourite of his solo records. But his views have become so odious and overt that they've had a certain bleeding thru to my enjoyment of records I used to like, so the only time I'll play something of his now is if a song just pops into my head.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 1:04pm
Setting apart his politics and personality, I got off the train at Maladjusted. Boring as hell, with the added whining about Mike Joyce. What's odd is that the album before, Southpaw Grammar, is probably my favourite of his solo records. But his views have become so odious and overt that they've had a certain bleeding thru to my enjoyment of records I used to like, so the only time I'll play something of his now is if a song just pops into my head.
Southpaw is pretty fantastic. I love Steve Lillywhite's production and Spencer Cobrin's drum sound is gigantic. I did not like Maladjusted when it was released. It sounded like a performer who had run out of gas/ideas - but when he re-imagined it in 2009 - it became a far better album. He still should have excised Sorrow Will Come to You in the End, however. Generally - I was okay with his reworking of several of his solo albums. As previously mentioned - Maladjusted was improved and even Southpaw is better in its 2009 version. Kill Uncle is one of my least favorite solo albums and I don't know if anything could improve it that much - but the 2013 version is admirable in its attempt.