The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

Yeah John Peel was always saying how the humour in The Smiths lyrics was largely overlooked. I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks of his singing I really like his vocals. I've heard of people getting turned off to him because of his flirtation with what I consider national pride (his not mine). It's a fine line and a dangerous one to cross and difficult to take from someone who lives in L.A. then complains about an England he once loved. Let's not forget the England Morrissey laments is one from before he was even born

The Smiths were a terrific band and Morrissey early solo work is really good. "You Are the Quarry" was the last album I really liked of his. What I have heard of the new album so far sounds good.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 2:52pm
Low Down Low wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 2:20pm
School, as well as life in general, depressed me as a teenager so I figured I didn't need Morrissey adding to my woes, couldn't get past the voice. I had the same thing with Leonard Cohen but snapped out of that in the 90s when I realised that he actually had a great sense of humour.
The thing is, Morrissey actually has a pretty good sense of humor, too. I think he is unfairly painted as this doom and gloom guy - but when you really listen to his lyrics - all the way back to the Smiths - there is a lot of humor.
I dont doubt you at all, but thing is to me at that age thats just how it came across to me and I didnt feel the need for a band to tell me how grim my life was, I wanted one to help shake me out of it. But to tell the truth, I was a bit of a stalinist prick when it came to music back then anyway, discarding whole heaps of good stuff because it didnt fit my narrow outlook of what good music should be. Smiths was only the tip of the iceberg!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 4:04pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
School, as well as life in general, depressed me as a teenager so I figured I didn't need Morrissey adding to my woes, couldn't get past the voice. I had the same thing with Leonard Cohen but snapped out of that in the 90s when I realised that he actually had a great sense of humour.
The thing is, Morrissey actually has a pretty good sense of humor, too. I think he is unfairly painted as this doom and gloom guy - but when you really listen to his lyrics - all the way back to the Smiths - there is a lot of humor.
I dont doubt you at all, but thing is to me at that age thats just how it came across to me and I didnt feel the need for a band to tell me how grim my life was, I wanted one to help shake me out of it. But to tell the truth, I was a bit of a stalinist prick when it came to music back then anyway, discarding whole heaps of good stuff because it didnt fit my narrow outlook of what good music should be. Smiths was only the tip of the iceberg!
Hang the DJ indeed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 3:43pm
complains about an England he once loved. Let's not forget the England Morrissey laments is one from before he was even born
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 4:12pm
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Hang the DJ indeed.
As an Odyssey fan (well I liked the only 3 songs i knew) I have to say that is a total abomination.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 2:25pm
The Smiths are pretty good. Never hears any Morrissey solo that inspired me to listen to more, tho. He's always an immediate channel flip when he pops up on satellite radio.
Same.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 3:34pm
WestwayKid wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 2:12pm
JennyB wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:34am
I'm down. He's coming here a week from Wednesday and I still haven't' decided if I am going. We saw him on his last tour, and it was amazing. I'm just so...tired.
He's playing Chicago - which is about an hour from home - but the last time he played Chicago he cancelled THREE times. I kind of want to go, but that was such a bad experience: having to change plans that many times - find and cancel sitters and everything. I've seen him live enough times that I could probably skip this one and not feel too bad.
Yeah - I imagine that would be super frustrating.
Carbon/Silicon also canceled their Chicago date, to my eternal irritation.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 4:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 4:12pm
Low Down Low wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Hang the DJ indeed.
As an Odyssey fan (well I liked the only 3 songs i knew) I have to say that is a total abomination.
The 80's partly saved by The Smiths. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

The Smiths are my second favorite band right after The Clash, and Moz is my second favorite solo artist right after Bowie. I'll talk about whatever you want.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 10:32pm
The Smiths are my second favorite band right after The Clash, and Moz is my second favorite solo artist right after Bowie. I'll talk about whatever you want.
OK why is Morrissey?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 5:08am
Kory wrote:
OK why is Morrissey?
Clever lyrics, command of melody, emotiveness, uniqueness. I also think that Alain Whyte was a good songwriter. Obviously not Marr level, but who is? There was actually a period that I was listening to Morrissey more than the Smiths.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 1:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
OK why is Morrissey?
Clever lyrics, command of melody, emotiveness, uniqueness. I also think that Alain Whyte was a good songwriter. Obviously not Marr level, but who is? There was actually a period that I was listening to Morrissey more than the Smiths.
Yep agreed he is a good songsmith and I think Boz is a very versatile musician.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 2:37pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
OK why is Morrissey?
I like Boz too, but I fear that he's running out of steam as a collaborator. He and Jesse don't really cut the Alain mustard, though I am liking the newer stuff. It may be that the keyboardist (whose name escapes me) has a stronger hand in the writing these days.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 2:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 2:37pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
OK why is Morrissey?
I like Boz too, but I fear that he's running out of steam as a collaborator. He and Jesse don't really cut the Alain mustard, though I am liking the newer stuff. It may be that the keyboardist (whose name escapes me) has a stronger hand in the writing these days.
Boz has been a great collaborator through the years.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Kory wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 2:50pm
Co-writers for the new songs:

My Love, I'd Do Anything For you - Mando Lopez
I Wish You Lonely - Boz Boorer
Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage - Boz Boorer
Home Is a Question Mark - Mando Lopez
Spent the Day in Bed - Gustavo Manzur
I Bury the Living - Jesse Tobias
In Your Lap - Gustavo Manzur
The Girl from Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel - Gustavo Manzur
All the Young People Must Fall in Love - Boz Boorer
When You Open Your Legs - Jesse Tobias
Who Will Protect Us from the Police? - Boz Boorer
Israel - Gustavo Manzur

Mando Lopez = 2 / 12
Boz = 4 / 12
Gustavo Manzur = 4 / 12
Jesse Tobias = 2 /12

Got to say, Boz has written half of my top ten Morrissey solo songs (Now My Heart Is Full; Speedway; Jack the Ripper to name but three)
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps