WestwayKid wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 7:23pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 6:23pm
WestwayKid wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 6:13pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 5:58pm
Your Arsenal is still my fave Moz album.
It is indeed great - especially after the clunker of Kill Uncle. The lineup of Whyte, Boz, Day, and Cobrin was solid and with Ronno producing it was a great artistic rebirth. I saw him live on that tour and it was fantastic.
Yes, Kill Uncle was overall a disappointment at the time, especially after all the great singles. The rockabilly versions of “Sing Your Life” and “Place” recorded at KROQ sound so much better than the album versions. I miss that lineup. I went to 5 shows on the Your Arsenal tour, including Halloween. Saw them on Halloween the year before as well...that show is on the Your Arsenal “Definitive Master” DVD that was released in 2014.
Take "You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side" which is a Nevin co-write. It's a butt kicker of an opening track in the hands of Whyte/Boorer/Day/Cobrin/Ronson - but I'm guessing it wouldn't have sounded the same had it been recorded by the Kill Uncle team.
For sure.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Kory »

Kill Uncle is a good album.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 1:55pm
… wait for the punchline, wait for the punchline …
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
Our Frank - A decent song, but the production robs it of any power. Sounds like Madness-lite courtesy of Winstanley & Langer. This would have sounded a ton better if it had been recorded by the Your Arsenal squad.
Asian Rut - Boring funeral dirge of a song with some badly misguided lyrical content. What happened to the guitars, Moz?
Sing Your Life - Best song on the album - but it would have sounded better with some big Whyte/Boorer guitars!
Mute Witness - A generic sounding November Spawned a Monster clone with some seriously annoying piano riffing & 90's guitar squealing.
King Leer - The lyrics are not great - but it at least has somewhat of a fun/jaunty sound to it.
Found Found Found - Awful 90's production - terrible drum sound and the return of the bad 90's guitar squealing.
Driving Your Girlfriend Home - Not awful...but it sounds like Morrissey trying to sound like the Smiths - but coming up short.
The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye - Way too plodding and anonymous.
(I'm) The End of the Family Line - I don't hate this one all that much...but again it sounds like Morrissey attempting to sound like the Smiths.
There's a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends - I kind of like this song - a nice torch ballad...but the "rockabilly" version on the remastered KU is better.

My biggest problem with the album is the generic production that all too often fails to grab the listener. The lack of decent hooks from Mark Nevin also doesn't help. In my opinion - Morrissey is best when he's able to anchor his lyrics/vocals to solid production and big guitar sounds. Nothing sounds big on Kill Uncle.

Thank goodness he got it together and returned with Your Arsenal.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 3:51pm
Kory wrote:
Our Frank - A decent song, but the production robs it of any power. Sounds like Madness-lite courtesy of Winstanley & Langer. This would have sounded a ton better if it had been recorded by the Your Arsenal squad.
Asian Rut - Boring funeral dirge of a song with some badly misguided lyrical content. What happened to the guitars, Moz?
Sing Your Life - Best song on the album - but it would have sounded better with some big Whyte/Boorer guitars!
Mute Witness - A generic sounding November Spawned a Monster clone with some seriously annoying piano riffing & 90's guitar squealing.
King Leer - The lyrics are not great - but it at least has somewhat of a fun/jaunty sound to it.
Found Found Found - Awful 90's production - terrible drum sound and the return of the bad 90's guitar squealing.
Driving Your Girlfriend Home - Not awful...but it sounds like Morrissey trying to sound like the Smiths - but coming up short.
(I'm) The End of the Family Line - I don't hate this one all that much...but again it sounds like Morrissey attempting to sound like the Smiths.
There's a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends - I kind of like this song - a nice torch ballad...but the "rockabilly" version on the remastered KU is better.

My biggest problem with the album is the generic production that all too often fails to grab the listener. The lack of decent hooks from Mark Nevin also doesn't help. In my opinion - Morrissey is best when he's able to anchor his lyrics/vocals to solid production and big guitar sounds. Nothing sounds big on Kill Uncle.

Obviously it's all subjective, but I have to disagree on almost every count. I will agree that the production is a little deflated, but these songs get stuck in my head constantly. I'm not sure they need hooks, as such. I think it's a charming (and, yes, light) album with some great humor in it (which I normally hate in music), but I like it a lot.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 4:28pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

Obviously it's all subjective, but I have to disagree on almost every count. I will agree that the production is a little deflated, but these songs get stuck in my head constantly. I'm not sure they need hooks, as such. I think it's a charming (and, yes, light) album with some great humor in it (which I normally hate in music), but I like it a lot.
You've convinced me to give it another shot. I probably haven't played it all the way through in a decade.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 4:48pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

You've convinced me to give it another shot. I probably haven't played it all the way through in a decade.
Well now I'm going to look dumb if you STILL don't like it!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 5:32pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

Narrator: Kory looked dumb.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 5:50pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Speaking of You're the Worst...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wait—me or you?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:26pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wait—me or you?
A hundred times you. And your ilk. Don't forget your ilk.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jan 2019, 7:26pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wait—me or you?
A hundred times you. And your ilk. Don't forget your ilk.
I got no ilk. I ain't nearly popular enough to have ilk.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

Mute Witness always sounded great live to me. The problem is the production team are more suited to straight up classic pop. Whereas Morrissey's sound requires the guitars to the fore to give it more indie clout.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Kory wrote:

Ha! I gave it an honest listen last night and while it will always be in my bottom 3 Morrissey albums - it wasn't as bad as I remembered it. I should state that I was listening to the remastered version which had Pashernate Love and East West added and which also has a different track listing - but it was enjoyable in its unique way. I still find it a bit too light - but good point about the humor - it does feature some really funny moments.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I actually found it an easier listen than World Peace...which has always been a difficult one for me to get into.