Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35452
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Marky Dread » 02 Nov 2017, 5:34pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:21pm
The beauty of live music is that anything can happen, and frequently does. As Flex pointed out - as long as their hearts are still in it it's probably worth seeing.

Keef fucked up the intro to "Brown Sugar" last month in Germany, with Woody keeping Charlie on track, and then Keef gets mad at Mick for coming in perfectly on time. Fucking own it, Keef! You're old and you fucked up "Brown Sugar"(doh!). But they still seem to love playing, so good on 'em.
Oh I'm sure they will retire once they've made enough money. ;)
Image
Image

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5306
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by revbob » 02 Nov 2017, 5:43pm

I saw Derek Warfield a few years back he was probably 70 or so, he had great energy.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12601
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Silent Majority » 02 Nov 2017, 6:11pm

revbob wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:43pm
I saw Derek Warfield a few years back he was probably 70 or so, he had great energy.
It does feel like people have different rules for folk artists.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by JennyB » 03 Nov 2017, 9:17am

I have to say that Dave Gahan, though only in his 50's so relatively young, has never sounded better than on DM's current tour. And that man is a hard-lived 56.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71178
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 03 Nov 2017, 9:32am

Michael Gira of Swans is 63 and is still playing really intense, rapturous shows (according to reviews). The current line-up of the band are playing their final shows together tonight and tomorrow night (and last night) in NYC. I'll be annoyed if some bootlegs don't emerge.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26123
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Heston » 03 Nov 2017, 10:50am

muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:21pm
The beauty of live music is that anything can happen, and frequently does. As Flex pointed out - as long as their hearts are still in it it's probably worth seeing.

Keef fucked up the intro to "Brown Sugar" last month in Germany, with Woody keeping Charlie on track, and then Keef gets mad at Mick for coming in perfectly on time. Fucking own it, Keef! You're old and you fucked up "Brown Sugar"(doh!). But they still seem to love playing, so good on 'em.
Good god that is awful. So sluggish and they are all starting to look pretty ridiculous. Retire now.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26123
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Heston » 03 Nov 2017, 10:55am

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 4:43pm
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:46pm
101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:18pm
It depends what you want out of the show and how important the live element is to it.
Yes, if you're interested in seeing a corpse, it's not that important.
So you won't bother going to see Heston when he is in his 70's on his "Who remembers KISS" tour.
Fuck that, I'm starting to feel the pace now as I'm nearing 50. Will probably do an Andy Partridge and just make music in a potting shed somewhere.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35452
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2017, 10:59am

Heston wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 10:50am
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:21pm
The beauty of live music is that anything can happen, and frequently does. As Flex pointed out - as long as their hearts are still in it it's probably worth seeing.

Keef fucked up the intro to "Brown Sugar" last month in Germany, with Woody keeping Charlie on track, and then Keef gets mad at Mick for coming in perfectly on time. Fucking own it, Keef! You're old and you fucked up "Brown Sugar"(doh!). But they still seem to love playing, so good on 'em.
Good god that is awful. So sluggish and they are all starting to look pretty ridiculous. Retire now.
This is pretty painful.
Image
Image

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35452
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2017, 11:03am

Heston wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 10:55am
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 4:43pm
Silent Majority wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:46pm
101Walterton wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 2:18pm
It depends what you want out of the show and how important the live element is to it.
Yes, if you're interested in seeing a corpse, it's not that important.
So you won't bother going to see Heston when he is in his 70's on his "Who remembers KISS" tour.
Fuck that, I'm starting to feel the pace now as I'm nearing 50. Will probably do an Andy Partridge and just make music in a potting shed somewhere.
Excellent I wouldn't mind some of that.

Heston is the mole from the Ministry
And you'll all bow down to him
He's the mole in your potting shed
He's the bad thoughts inside your head
And you won't catch him
Image
Image

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12601
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Silent Majority » 03 Nov 2017, 12:07pm

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 10:59am
Heston wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 10:50am
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:21pm
The beauty of live music is that anything can happen, and frequently does. As Flex pointed out - as long as their hearts are still in it it's probably worth seeing.

Keef fucked up the intro to "Brown Sugar" last month in Germany, with Woody keeping Charlie on track, and then Keef gets mad at Mick for coming in perfectly on time. Fucking own it, Keef! You're old and you fucked up "Brown Sugar"(doh!). But they still seem to love playing, so good on 'em.
Good god that is awful. So sluggish and they are all starting to look pretty ridiculous. Retire now.
This is pretty painful.
Oh, it isn't quite hanging together any more is it?
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35452
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2017, 12:11pm

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 12:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 10:59am
Heston wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 10:50am
muppet hi fi wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 5:21pm
The beauty of live music is that anything can happen, and frequently does. As Flex pointed out - as long as their hearts are still in it it's probably worth seeing.

Keef fucked up the intro to "Brown Sugar" last month in Germany, with Woody keeping Charlie on track, and then Keef gets mad at Mick for coming in perfectly on time. Fucking own it, Keef! You're old and you fucked up "Brown Sugar"(doh!). But they still seem to love playing, so good on 'em.
Good god that is awful. So sluggish and they are all starting to look pretty ridiculous. Retire now.
This is pretty painful.
Oh, it isn't quite hanging together any more is it?
That's exactly it mate. It's a shame but I do feel they should stick to studio work. I know this denies the Stones fanbase a chance of seeing their heroes but at least the band can still cut it in the studio.
Image
Image

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Flex » 03 Nov 2017, 1:00pm

They were great at Desert Trip.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35452
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2017, 1:05pm

Flex wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 1:00pm
They were great at Desert Trip.
How long ago is that Flex? Recent show? Do you think the footage presented in this thread is just an off night?
Image
Image

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Flex » 03 Nov 2017, 1:13pm

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 1:05pm
How long ago is that Flex? Recent show? Do you think the footage presented in this thread is just an off night?
About a year ago. Maybe they were having a particularly good night, I dunno. I think it can be tough to assess how you'd take in a live show just based on video.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35452
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Is there a live retirement age for musicians?

Post by Marky Dread » 03 Nov 2017, 1:21pm

Flex wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 1:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 1:05pm
How long ago is that Flex? Recent show? Do you think the footage presented in this thread is just an off night?
About a year ago. Maybe they were having a particularly good night, I dunno. I think it can be tough to assess how you'd take in a live show just based on video.
That's a fair comment and who knows why fans upload certain tracks to Youtube but they sound really poor on those clips. I think if I were uploading a clip from a show I would want to upload a decent performance but maybe that's not the point of Youtube. Maybe it's more just the fan saying "hey look I was there".

Of course it could be an off night and all bands however great have those.
Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests