Awful Voices Thread

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Awful Voices Thread

Post by matedog »

Having an awful voice doesn't mean I hate the music or even the singing. You know whose voice is pretty bad:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Awful Voices Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That's just mean. Mick's voice has never wrecked a song, which I think should be the basic criteria for inclusion.

My early entries are Rod Stewart and Axl Rose. I could like a decent chunk of GnR songs if his squawk were erased in the mix.

I don't like Jagger's voice, but I wouldn't call it awful either (he doesn't kill Stones songs for me, but he doesn't help things along).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Mick was a great singer. Matey is a monster.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Mick was technically better than Joe.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I don't understand Hoy at all here. Is this a troll?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Lost In the Supermarket and Train In Vain are superb vocals. And Rudie, and loads of others. No Hoyston here.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 2:02pm
Lost In the Supermarket and Train In Vain are superb vocals. And Rudie, and loads of others. No Hoyston here.
Welcome back to Wolston Manors.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Well, this thread has certainly hit the head on the awful part, anyway.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

It is Mick’s vocals (with Joe) that made the Clash stand out from the rest.
I don’t understand how you can like the Clash if you don’t like Mick’s voice.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 1:20pm
My early entries are Rod Stewart and Axl Rose. I could like a decent chunk of GnR songs if his squawk were erased in the mix.

I don't like Jagger's voice, but I wouldn't call it awful either (he doesn't kill Stones songs for me, but he doesn't help things along).
Agree with you on those, Axl sounds like a parrot with its balls caught in a vice. Rod is pretty awful too.

Jagger's voice is kind of okay but it's his whole persona that puts me off. I really like the Stones otherwise.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 2:34pm
It is Mick’s vocals (with Joe) that made the Clash stand out from the rest.
I don’t understand how you can like the Clash if you don’t like Mick’s voice.
Yep, Mick's smooth tenor and Joe's rough baritone were a mix made in heaven.

I refer you to Spanish Bombs for a great example.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Vocals are a great thread subject though.
I’ve always been interested in why some voices are more appealing than others on a subjective basis. I am not talking about good v bad singers just personal preference.
I can listen to Bowie, Joe, Pete Doherty singing in the shower (regardless of how good the song is) yet I have to turn off the radio if Tina Turner is singing one of her 80/90’s hits (Private Dancer for one).

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 2:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 1:20pm

Agree with you on those, Axl sounds like a parrot with its balls caught in a vice. Rod is pretty awful too.

Jagger's voice is kind of okay but it's his whole persona that puts me off. I really like the Stones otherwise.
101Dreston on Axl Rose.

Heston

Post by Heston »

To be honest, most of my favourite singers aren't technically great but that's not really the point. Terry Hall, Andy Partridge, Ray Davies, Shane MacGowan, Strummer, Weller, even Lennon, none of them are exactly Enrico Caruso. They sing in pitch and have great attitude and/or passion. Of my favourite bands I'd say only Roger Daltrey and Steve Marriott have technically great voices.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 2:44pm
To be honest, most of my favourite singers aren't technically great but that's not really the point. Terry Hall, Andy Partridge, Ray Davies, Shane MacGowan, Strummer, Weller, even Lennon, none of them are exactly Enrico Caruso. They sing in pitch and have great attitude and/or passion. Of my favourite bands I'd say only Roger Daltrey and Steve Marriott have technically great voices.
Agree with all of those.
Shame to admit I’m not a fan of Daltrey when he lets rip