"Punk" elitism...

General music discussion.
Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27235
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Heston » 26 Oct 2017, 7:08am

Guys, surely it was "Play To Win."
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 819
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by WestwayKid » 26 Oct 2017, 7:48am

Found this quote from Mr. Strummer: “I don’t like saying, ‘You’re a punk and you’re not.’ There was a record out there called Ca Plane pour Moi by Plastic Bertrand, right? And I guarantee you if I had to play it for you right now you’d go, ‘Right! That is rockin!’ Now, if you were to say to any sort of purist punk, ‘This is a good punk record,’ they’d get completely enraged. But Plastic Bertrand, whoever he was, compressed into that three minutes a bloody good record that will get any comatose person toe-tapping, you know what I mean? By purist rules, it’s not allowed to even mention Plastic Bertrand. Yet, this record was probably a lot better than a lot of so-called punk records.”

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 74791
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Oct 2017, 8:19am

As John Wilkes Booth said before being shot, "It always comes back to Plastic Bertrand, doesn't it?"
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Wolter » 26 Oct 2017, 8:53am

Heston wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 7:08am
Guys, surely it was "Play To Win."
I don’t even want to scroll back to know the context; this is the new unofficial tag line to IMCT.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Wolter » 26 Oct 2017, 8:54am

101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:24am
Well it can’t be Ivan Meets GI Joe because GI Joe failed to qualify!
I laughed.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 20356
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by matedog » 26 Oct 2017, 10:49am

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 7:48am
Found this quote from Mr. Strummer: “I don’t like saying, ‘You’re a punk and you’re not.’ There was a record out there called Ca Plane pour Moi by Plastic Bertrand, right? And I guarantee you if I had to play it for you right now you’d go, ‘Right! That is rockin!’ Now, if you were to say to any sort of purist punk, ‘This is a good punk record,’ they’d get completely enraged. But Plastic Bertrand, whoever he was, compressed into that three minutes a bloody good record that will get any comatose person toe-tapping, you know what I mean? By purist rules, it’s not allowed to even mention Plastic Bertrand. Yet, this record was probably a lot better than a lot of so-called punk records.”
Joe Strummer never shuts up about Plastic Bertrand. - tepista
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 16270
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by JennyB » 26 Oct 2017, 10:56am

For about two minutes in 8th or 9th grade, I considered myself a punk purist. But then I realized that my second favorite band was Depeche Mode and that I love Earth, Wind and Fire, so that notion flew out the window.

And don't get me started on the excruciating conversations my friends and I would have determing if the Violent Femmes were punk or not (I always voted yes).
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25789
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Flex » 26 Oct 2017, 11:24am

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:16am
The world would be a better place if Mick had allowed Russia/FIFA to use Version City in their multimillion dollar promos, like they wanted.
A+
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 36958
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Marky Dread » 26 Oct 2017, 4:32pm

The only punk band I ever cared for are Wire. ;)
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 74791
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Oct 2017, 4:33pm

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 4:32pm
The only punk band I ever cared for are Wire. ;)
If I ever end up in Limeyland, I will bonk you on the head when you're not expecting it. :naughty:
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 36958
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Marky Dread » 26 Oct 2017, 4:35pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 4:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 4:32pm
The only punk band I ever cared for are Wire. ;)
If I ever end up in Limeyland, I will bonk you on the head when you're not expecting it. :naughty:
Hey ho! Let's go! :mrgreen:
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 15605
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by 101Walterton » 26 Oct 2017, 4:36pm

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 4:32pm
The only punk band I ever cared for are Wire. ;)
You always take it down to the wire.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 36958
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Marky Dread » 26 Oct 2017, 4:37pm

101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 4:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 4:32pm
The only punk band I ever cared for are Wire. ;)
You always take it down to the wire.
It"s a gift.
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8453
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Kory » 27 Oct 2017, 12:44pm

The furthest down the road of elitism I ever got was in 9th grade when a rival of mine got the exact same Misfits shirt as me, knowing that I had it already. I was livid and called him a poser for years. Then I did a hip-hop album with him seven years later.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 36958
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Marky Dread » 27 Oct 2017, 12:50pm

Kory wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 12:44pm
The furthest down the road of elitism I ever got was in 9th grade when a rival of mine got the exact same Misfits shirt as me, knowing that I had it already. I was livid and called him a poser for years. Then I did a hip-hop album with him seven years later.
You sound a right pair of Misfits to me.

I could never be elitist. I'm far too special for that.
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests