"Punk" elitism...

General music discussion.
Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49239
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Wolter » 25 Oct 2017, 3:42pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 3:10pm
Daredevil will get the reference here, but a recurring line on the series Halt and Catch Fire was "Computers aren't the thing. They're the thing that gets us to the thing." Computers are a means of self-realization. Punk should be appreciated the same way. If you regard punk as some kind of end point, well, yeah, you're probably going to be creating structures of purity and snarling at the unwashed for not being as smart as you. But treat it as a perspective, a revelation, and a tool, and it becomes this wonderful way of looking at the world and becoming more curious about possibilities, and more cynical toward bullshit norms. A means, not an end.
Word. I’m so glad punk came into my life when it did, but if I were still giving a damn about it as a music/fashion scene instead of a change of worldview, all the good it did me would’ve been undone.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5300
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by revbob » 25 Oct 2017, 11:00pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 1:57pm
WestwayKid wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 1:36pm
I'm sure I displayed some level of punk elitism at some point in my life - maybe 9th grade and then I realized it didn't matter what you listened to.
I suspect everyone here went thru that. Discovering punk for me was like a religious awakening—a musical validation for being frustrated and angry about being awkward and unsure yet knowing that the norms I was being taught were bullshit—so I had the obnoxious zeal of the convert. Cast out all my old music (thank you, Napster, for letting me recover some of the better stuff) and just immersed myself in all these great new sounds. And was contemptuous of anyone who didn't get it. Punk ended up being enough of a springboard into plenty of other genres that that arrogant certainty eventually evaporated. You learn that you can be critical and discerning without acting like an Old Testament prophet.
Yeah I can relate to this. It started as a singular perspective but ended up being a gateway to a greater/broader view of music, culture etc. I dont think I would have come around to liking some of the music I do if not having the detour thru punk.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14827
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by 101Walterton » 25 Oct 2017, 11:03pm

Punk was my start point. Prior to that was music put on me by family and friends, punk was my choice.
I agree with Hestons post though, not all punk was good.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5300
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by revbob » 25 Oct 2017, 11:07pm

101Walterton wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 11:03pm
Punk was my start point. Prior to that was music put on me by family and friends, punk was my choice.
I agree with Hestons post though, not all punk was good.
Mo singular style of music is all good by default right. Its probably all 90% crap across the board and 10% good across the board*.


* your mileage may vary.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25034
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Flex » 25 Oct 2017, 11:07pm

Heston wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 3:24pm
And to be honest I've never been a big fan of punk other than the cream of the crop.
I, too, love Crass and the Exploited.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5300
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by revbob » 25 Oct 2017, 11:23pm

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 11:07pm
Heston wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 3:24pm
And to be honest I've never been a big fan of punk other than the cream of the crop.
I, too, love Crass and the Exploited.
It took Jeffrey Lewis for me to truely appreciate Crass. I still dont like to listen to them unless one of the ladies is singing.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14827
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by 101Walterton » 25 Oct 2017, 11:26pm

revbob wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 11:23pm
Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 11:07pm
Heston wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 3:24pm
And to be honest I've never been a big fan of punk other than the cream of the crop.
I, too, love Crass and the Exploited.
It took Jeffrey Lewis for me to truely appreciate Crass. I still dont like to listen to them unless one of the ladies is singing.
What about the kids?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26119
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Heston » 26 Oct 2017, 1:59am

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 11:07pm
Heston wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 3:24pm
And to be honest I've never been a big fan of punk other than the cream of the crop.
I, too, love Crass and the Exploited.
I will find you, I will catch you, and I will turn you into Alpo cans.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

TeddyB Not Logged In
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1535
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 8:42pm

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In » 26 Oct 2017, 2:36am

Did Lydon write that article under a pseudonym? The Clash have become too universally respected for some. The Pistols are still looked down on by enough people. Believe it or not, Jesse Dylan was having a similar argument with my 23 year old daughter who writes for his company, him saying that The Clash are played out. It was sort of in a marketing context.

That said, MJ just turned down a fortune from Coca Cola for a Clash song to be used in a commercial for the World Cup in Russia. Before anyone asks, I think it was both FIFA and Russia he was not okay with.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14827
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by 101Walterton » 26 Oct 2017, 4:32am

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 2:36am
Did Lydon write that article under a pseudonym? The Clash have become too universally respected for some. The Pistols are still looked down on by enough people. Believe it or not, Jesse Dylan was having a similar argument with my 23 year old daughter who writes for his company, him saying that The Clash are played out. It was sort of in a marketing context.

That said, MJ just turned down a fortune from Coca Cola for a Clash song to be used in a commercial for the World Cup in Russia. Before anyone asks, I think it was both FIFA and Russia he was not okay with.
Good on him for sticking to his principles.
If it were me I would be drinking Russian vodka and Coca Cola whilst counting FIFA’s dirty money 😎

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12601
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Silent Majority » 26 Oct 2017, 6:16am

The world would be a better place if Mick had allowed Russia/FIFA to use Version City in their multimillion dollar promos, like they wanted.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14827
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by 101Walterton » 26 Oct 2017, 6:24am

Well it can’t be Ivan Meets GI Joe because GI Joe failed to qualify!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71164
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Oct 2017, 6:34am

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:16am
The world would be a better place if Mick had allowed Russia/FIFA to use Version City in their multimillion dollar promos, like they wanted.
:lol: Fine, cut you a deal: 500K for "Atom Tan."
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 190
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by WestwayKid » 26 Oct 2017, 7:03am

101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:24am
Well it can’t be Ivan Meets GI Joe because GI Joe failed to qualify!
Ouch! ;)

WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 190
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by WestwayKid » 26 Oct 2017, 7:06am

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 7:03am
101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:24am
Well it can’t be Ivan Meets GI Joe because GI Joe failed to qualify!
Ouch! ;)
...though to be fair...Ivan got his ticket punched for free!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests