"Punk" elitism...

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: "Punk" elitism...

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 3:10pm
Daredevil will get the reference here, but a recurring line on the series Halt and Catch Fire was "Computers aren't the thing. They're the thing that gets us to the thing." Computers are a means of self-realization. Punk should be appreciated the same way. If you regard punk as some kind of end point, well, yeah, you're probably going to be creating structures of purity and snarling at the unwashed for not being as smart as you. But treat it as a perspective, a revelation, and a tool, and it becomes this wonderful way of looking at the world and becoming more curious about possibilities, and more cynical toward bullshit norms. A means, not an end.
Word. I’m so glad punk came into my life when it did, but if I were still giving a damn about it as a music/fashion scene instead of a change of worldview, all the good it did me would’ve been undone.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 1:57pm
WestwayKid wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 1:36pm
I'm sure I displayed some level of punk elitism at some point in my life - maybe 9th grade and then I realized it didn't matter what you listened to.
I suspect everyone here went thru that. Discovering punk for me was like a religious awakening—a musical validation for being frustrated and angry about being awkward and unsure yet knowing that the norms I was being taught were bullshit—so I had the obnoxious zeal of the convert. Cast out all my old music (thank you, Napster, for letting me recover some of the better stuff) and just immersed myself in all these great new sounds. And was contemptuous of anyone who didn't get it. Punk ended up being enough of a springboard into plenty of other genres that that arrogant certainty eventually evaporated. You learn that you can be critical and discerning without acting like an Old Testament prophet.
Yeah I can relate to this. It started as a singular perspective but ended up being a gateway to a greater/broader view of music, culture etc. I dont think I would have come around to liking some of the music I do if not having the detour thru punk.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Punk was my start point. Prior to that was music put on me by family and friends, punk was my choice.
I agree with Hestons post though, not all punk was good.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 11:03pm
Punk was my start point. Prior to that was music put on me by family and friends, punk was my choice.
I agree with Hestons post though, not all punk was good.
Mo singular style of music is all good by default right. Its probably all 90% crap across the board and 10% good across the board*.

* your mileage may vary.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 3:24pm
And to be honest I've never been a big fan of punk other than the cream of the crop.
I, too, love Crass and the Exploited.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 11:07pm
Heston wrote:
And to be honest I've never been a big fan of punk other than the cream of the crop.
It took Jeffrey Lewis for me to truely appreciate Crass. I still dont like to listen to them unless one of the ladies is singing.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

revbob wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 11:23pm
Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:
It took Jeffrey Lewis for me to truely appreciate Crass. I still dont like to listen to them unless one of the ladies is singing.
What about the kids?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:
I will find you, I will catch you, and I will turn you into Alpo cans.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Did Lydon write that article under a pseudonym? The Clash have become too universally respected for some. The Pistols are still looked down on by enough people. Believe it or not, Jesse Dylan was having a similar argument with my 23 year old daughter who writes for his company, him saying that The Clash are played out. It was sort of in a marketing context.

That said, MJ just turned down a fortune from Coca Cola for a Clash song to be used in a commercial for the World Cup in Russia. Before anyone asks, I think it was both FIFA and Russia he was not okay with.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 2:36am
Did Lydon write that article under a pseudonym? The Clash have become too universally respected for some. The Pistols are still looked down on by enough people. Believe it or not, Jesse Dylan was having a similar argument with my 23 year old daughter who writes for his company, him saying that The Clash are played out. It was sort of in a marketing context.

That said, MJ just turned down a fortune from Coca Cola for a Clash song to be used in a commercial for the World Cup in Russia. Before anyone asks, I think it was both FIFA and Russia he was not okay with.
Good on him for sticking to his principles.
If it were me I would be drinking Russian vodka and Coca Cola whilst counting FIFA’s dirty money 😎

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

The world would be a better place if Mick had allowed Russia/FIFA to use Version City in their multimillion dollar promos, like they wanted.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Well it can’t be Ivan Meets GI Joe because GI Joe failed to qualify!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:16am
The world would be a better place if Mick had allowed Russia/FIFA to use Version City in their multimillion dollar promos, like they wanted.
:lol: Fine, cut you a deal: 500K for "Atom Tan."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:24am
Ouch! ;)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

WestwayKid wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 7:03am
101Walterton wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 6:24am
Ouch! ;)
...though to be fair...Ivan got his ticket punched for free!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble