Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

General music discussion.
Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7330
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by Kory » 19 Oct 2017, 2:20pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:17pm
Kory wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:06pm
1) Southpaw Grammar (a shame "Boxers" isn't on it)
2) Viva Hate
3) Bona Drag or some other comp of singles and b's up "Sunny"
4) Vauxhall
5) Your Arsenal
6 etc) Crab juice.
You don't rate Kill Uncle? It's his wittiest album!
"Sing Your Life" is okay. Everything else should have made wonder whether he still had Johnny Marr's phone number somewhere.
Sure, it was a pickup band, but the structures, melodies, and lyrics are still solid.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71077
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by Dr. Medulla » 19 Oct 2017, 2:24pm

Kory wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:17pm
Kory wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:06pm
1) Southpaw Grammar (a shame "Boxers" isn't on it)
2) Viva Hate
3) Bona Drag or some other comp of singles and b's up "Sunny"
4) Vauxhall
5) Your Arsenal
6 etc) Crab juice.
You don't rate Kill Uncle? It's his wittiest album!
"Sing Your Life" is okay. Everything else should have made wonder whether he still had Johnny Marr's phone number somewhere.
Sure, it was a pickup band, but the structures, melodies, and lyrics are still solid.
You, uh, got a lovely home here, Homer. Even when I was a pretty solidly in Morrissey's camp, that album did not inspire repeated listens.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14792
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by 101Walterton » 19 Oct 2017, 2:28pm

Heston wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 8:25am
101Walterton wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 9:08pm
Problem is, still got Morrissey singing.
Yeah, that strangulated moaning never resonated with me. I like a few Smiths songs but that's despite his vocals rather than because of them. They were very good musically.
Agreed.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 173
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am

Re: Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by WestwayKid » 19 Oct 2017, 3:04pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:24pm
Kory wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:17pm
Kory wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:06pm
1) Southpaw Grammar (a shame "Boxers" isn't on it)
2) Viva Hate
3) Bona Drag or some other comp of singles and b's up "Sunny"
4) Vauxhall
5) Your Arsenal
6 etc) Crab juice.
You don't rate Kill Uncle? It's his wittiest album!
"Sing Your Life" is okay. Everything else should have made wonder whether he still had Johnny Marr's phone number somewhere.
Sure, it was a pickup band, but the structures, melodies, and lyrics are still solid.
You, uh, got a lovely home here, Homer. Even when I was a pretty solidly in Morrissey's camp, that album did not inspire repeated listens.
Same here. It never inspired repeat listens. I think when he reissued it in 2013 it was a slight improvement, but I always thought the problem wasn't so much Morrissey - but the production and the fact that Mark E. Nevin wasn't able to come up with the effortless hooks that Marr did (or even Vini Reilly did). Morrissey was left to carry too much of the burden with his words and his voice.

The fact that he would soon hook up with Boz and Alain (who COULD write - and did - write great hooks) only serves to highlight how lacking Kill Uncle was.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71077
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by Dr. Medulla » 19 Oct 2017, 3:13pm

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 3:04pm
The fact that he would soon hook up with Boz and Alain (who COULD write - and did - write great hooks) only serves to highlight how lacking Kill Uncle was.
Notably, that KROQ ep with his new band improved a couple Kill Uncle songs immensely.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

BR16ADE_R055E
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3176
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:25pm
Location: Winterland/Mabuhay Gardens

Re: Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by BR16ADE_R055E » 19 Oct 2017, 7:38pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:17pm
Kory wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 2:06pm
1) Southpaw Grammar (a shame "Boxers" isn't on it)
2) Viva Hate
3) Bona Drag or some other comp of singles and b's up "Sunny"
4) Vauxhall
5) Your Arsenal
6 etc) Crab juice.
You don't rate Kill Uncle? It's his wittiest album!
"Sing Your Life" is okay. Everything else should have made wonder whether he still had Johnny Marr's phone number somewhere.
The rockabilly version of SYL is way better.

BR16ADE_R055E
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3176
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:25pm
Location: Winterland/Mabuhay Gardens

Re: Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by BR16ADE_R055E » 19 Oct 2017, 7:40pm

Your Arse ‘n’ All is my fave Moz album.

oliver
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 220
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 11:55am

Re: Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by oliver » 19 Oct 2017, 8:15pm

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 7:40pm
Your Arse ‘n’ All is my fave Moz album.
I love Morrissey. But I could have done without seeing that picture of "your arse an all" on one of the Greatest Hits albums. I thank my lucky stars I no longer collect vinyl because it would have been almost life size.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7330
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by Kory » 20 Oct 2017, 12:21pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 3:13pm
WestwayKid wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 3:04pm
The fact that he would soon hook up with Boz and Alain (who COULD write - and did - write great hooks) only serves to highlight how lacking Kill Uncle was.
Notably, that KROQ ep with his new band improved a couple Kill Uncle songs immensely.
The reissue of Your Arsenal comes with a DVD of a show after White/Boorer/Day/Cobrin joined up (but before Your Arsenal), so it's largely Kill Uncle songs muscled up. It's pretty badass.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35293
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

Post by Marky Dread » 20 Oct 2017, 1:30pm

The new single is a huge improvement on recent outings. That last two albums were about as interesting as watching paint dry. I am a fan. I enjoyed his recent BBC performance and like his cover of The Pretenders Back on the Chain Gang.
Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests