2018 Rock and Roll HOF Nominations

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: 2018 Rock and Roll HOF Nominations

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 2:42pm
*snicker* The word "wrong" stands like a raven on Hoy's shoulder.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 3:50pm
JennyB wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 2:42pm
*snicker* The word "wrong" stands like a raven on Hoy's shoulder.
:mrgreen: Why do you think I posted THAT particular song?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 2:45pm
matedog wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 1:42pm
JennyB wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 1:38pm
matedog wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 1:33pm
Bumping this thread for a myriad of reasons (also missed it the first time). Mostly to shit on DM. Matt Patrol and I got in a debate on facebook on the Doors vs. DM. My argument was that DM had "Just Can't Get Enough" and...a bunch of really drab stuff that is a real chore to listen to. Blasphemous Rumors? Uggggh. Radiohead>DM for me. And I don't even like Radiohead that much.
Hey, to each their own. They didn't get in anyway.
Bah, no fun are you!

Though I like Bon Jovi, I know they aren't good and really have no place ahead of so many of these bands/artists.
You've heard the Bon Jovi cover of LC, right?
Yeah. It's bad, but not shockingly bad. Kinda what you'd expect.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 2:01pm
I'm kind of baffled how a debate would arise pitting the Doors vs. Depeche Mode. Both use keyboards, I guess, but it seems an odd match-up.

Next: Gordie Howe vs. Teddy Kennedy—who ya got?
He threw out a list of bands he could never like because of their fans. The Dead, Phish, Misfits, The Doors and Pink Floyd. I came to the defense of The Doors, but we agreed on Morrison's generally awful/obnoxious lyrics. He threw out a "hot take" that DM was better.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

What the hell is wrong with Misfits fans? Just because they all wear the skull shirt? I love the Misfits!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm kind of baffled how a debate would arise pitting the Doors vs. Depeche Mode. Both use keyboards, I guess, but it seems an odd match-up.

He threw out a list of bands he could never like because of their fans. The Dead, Phish, Misfits, The Doors and Pink Floyd. I came to the defense of The Doors, but we agreed on Morrison's generally awful/obnoxious lyrics. He threw out a "hot take" that DM was better.
I honestly don't get not liking a band because of the fans. It's not like joining a religion, where you're taking on other people along with certain values. You have the option of making it an individual, marketplace transaction. Deadheads and Phish fans are stinky cultists, but my overriding interest is that jam bands fucking suck. If Deadheads went around curing cancer, cool, but I'm still not interested in listening to some boring-ass grooviness from 1971 that goes on forever.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 4:42pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I honestly don't get not liking a band because of the fans. It's not like joining a religion, where you're taking on other people along with certain values. You have the option of making it an individual, marketplace transaction. Deadheads and Phish fans are stinky cultists, but my overriding interest is that jam bands fucking suck. If Deadheads went around curing cancer, cool, but I'm still not interested in listening to some boring-ass grooviness from 1971 that goes on forever.
I would imagine Doors and Floyd fans are just, like, normal humans. Nondescript, as it were.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think it depends on how much stock you put in the social component of music, no? A lot of of what I like about my favorite bands is, like, being able to talk about the music and enjoy it with other like-minded folks. Works great when the other people that like that music aren't total shitheads (IMCT excepted, of course :shifty: ), but kind of a bummer if you find everyone else who shares your tastes to be insufferable. There's plenty of music I sorta-like that I don't really care about this aspect, but I admit that when it comes to what I'm most passionate about, I value being able to share in that passion with others. If I were a massive Phish fan, that would be a bummer from that perspective.

Another thought is that for some music, it's just another reason to hate something you already don't like. I don't like Phish, so finding their fans excruciating is just another fun little bonus that I get to complain about.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 5:02pm
I would imagine Doors and Floyd fans are just, like, normal humans. Nondescript, as it were.
I can imagine Doors fans were more annoying two generations ago when Morrison-worship was at its zenith, but who really thinks or talks that way anymore? Pretty much no self-professed Doors fans that I'm familiar with.

Floyd fans are the original normcore imho

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 5:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That's the other thing. There's so much variation in fandom. Super intense fans of anything are embarrassing/annoying. Those who are capable of being critical, non-possessive, tolerant of interpretation—none of that "if you were a real fan …" crap—are fine, even if their tastes might be goofy.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

The internet is jumping all over Rick and Morty fans (for obvious reasons), but, like, if you don't like fans of something, you don't HAVE to talk to them...if you can't enjoy something for your own reasons, you're kinda weak.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 5:27pm
The internet is jumping all over Rick and Morty fans (for obvious reasons), but, like, if you don't like fans of something, you don't HAVE to talk to them...if you can't enjoy something for your own reasons, you're kinda weak.
Eh, for realsies?

*quietly unfriends or blocks Kory across all social media platforms*

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 5:28pm
*quietly unfriends or blocks Kory across all social media platforms*
No need to do it quietly. Be loud, be proud, be part of the righteous majority!

matedog

Post by matedog »

I don't know. I remember thinking Jack Johnson (singer, not boxer) was pleasant enough, but people in college annoyed the shit out of me because they all used the same stupid fucking reason to describe why they liked him: "he's so chill."

matedog

Post by matedog »

I guess I have to deal with Bruce's dumb old fans too.