The Who song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

The Who song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Heston »

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Who song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 7:26pm
Unless im hearing something different it would be My Generation.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Was just talking with my brother about this song yesterday, a nasty, bitter piece of work from a much-unloved album. Kenney Jones plays a straight military tattoo and Townshend's guitaring at the end is downright vicious.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

There are so many good Who songs, unfortunately there are an equal number of awful poor pity me middle aged alcoholic songs. Just my opinion. I happen to love almost all of their pre-Tommy songs and then it's hit or miss for me. I do like Pete's demos better than the actual Who versions. Pete's demo of The Real Me is killer

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

coffeepotman wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 7:57am
There are so many good Who songs, unfortunately there are an equal number of awful poor pity me middle aged alcoholic songs. Just my opinion. I happen to love almost all of their pre-Tommy songs and then it's hit or miss for me. I do like Pete's demos better than the actual Who versions.
All of that matches my attitude to a T. Completely and totally.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 8:29am
coffeepotman wrote:
There are so many good Who songs, unfortunately there are an equal number of awful poor pity me middle aged alcoholic songs. Just my opinion. I happen to love almost all of their pre-Tommy songs and then it's hit or miss for me. I do like Pete's demos better than the actual Who versions.
Agreed. Their recording career after 1973 is basically worthless to me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

i heard a cool cover of "Heat Wave" a few weeks ago.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 10:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
I want to say that Who by Numbers and Who are You are pretty good but cant explain why, havent listened to either since high school maybe. Neither can compare to the earlier work and the two post Moon studio albums arent much special either.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

coffeepotman wrote:
This. I'm too lazy to google & see if they've ever put out any demos on any of those deluxe reissues but if they haven't, they should.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

I like some of Pete's demos but his voice is a bit weedy for me compared to Roger. I'll have the fully blown classics, thanks.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 4:20pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
I want to say that Who by Numbers and Who are You are pretty good but cant explain why, havent listened to either since high school maybe. Neither can compare to the earlier work and the two post Moon studio albums arent much special either.
I have a silly love of "Squeeze Box." It's even better given how arty Pete had become and then deliver his own "My Ding-a-ling."

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 5:23pm
I like some of Pete's demos but his voice is a bit weedy for me compared to Roger. I'll have the fully blown classics, thanks.
I've gone back and forth through years about Pete vs. Rog's vocals: I appreciate Daltrey's commanding voice, but often thought he was just a bull macho front man, (sorta like Paul Rogers or whomever), and that Pete had more feeling for his own lyrics. I've heard peoples express the same thing regarding Mick vs. Keef, or even Joe vs. Mick. At least John and Paul were equals in range, power and nuance.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 5:30pm
revbob wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 4:20pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
I have a silly love of "Squeeze Box." It's even better given how arty Pete had become and then deliver his own "My Ding-a-ling."
Yep, I love Squeeze Box, a real sentimental thing (hey, it was actually on the radio when I was doing my paper route as a wee nipper). I actually prefer Who By Numbers to much of Quadrephenia due to it's more organic sound and lack of synths (which work well on Who's Next but sometimes just became too much for me later on).
Last edited by muppet hi fi on 20 Sep 2017, 5:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

double post