The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5291
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by revbob » 15 Sep 2017, 7:14pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:39pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:24pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:11pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:59am
Either Paint it Black or Sympathy for the Devil.

When i was younger i never really cared for them because i only ever heard their later stuff. I didnt listen to the commercual radio too much because in the NYC area there were so many other good options. Eventually i heard these 2 songs and they struck me right away. From there i explored other songs. Still dont care for anything from the mid 70s forward. But the 60s early 70s stuff is great.
Two fantastic songs for sure, but - dude...this is like Kory saying he doesn't dig the Ramones. :naughty:
I Didnt mean to pull a Kory or a reverse Heston I love the early stuff. But the later stuff ive heard doesnt grab me but granted im only going by the singles. Ive never done a deep dive on any of the 80s and later material.
Well, 'Some Girls' was from '78 and is widely considered a stone classic by almost all folk. 'Tattoo You' ('81, though some of it was re-worked from earlier '70s sessions) was also huge and is popularly and critically held in high esteem.

To my mind, the Stones are similar to the Ramones (or maybe AC/DC, if you go for them): they have a formula that they stick with (albeit a more diverse one than da brudders Ramone), and they deliver that vibe consistently and unfailingly, to this day. In my not so humble opinion, of course.
I hear you, i just went back and lookd at the track listings from Some Girls and the next two. Again havent done a deep dive beyond the singles but the later stuff just isnt my bag.

And this is like the 5th time in a few months where Heston and I are in pretty much full agreement. Perhpas i will have to look him up the next time im in Northumbria

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Sep 2017, 7:28pm

revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 7:14pm
And this is like the 5th time in a few months where Heston and I are in pretty much full agreement. Perhpas i will have to look him up the next time im in Northumbria
He's already working on a Starship megamix for you.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by muppet hi fi » 15 Sep 2017, 7:45pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 6:15pm
Heston wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 3:35pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:11pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:59am
Either Paint it Black or Sympathy for the Devil.

When i was younger i never really cared for them because i only ever heard their later stuff. I didnt listen to the commercual radio too much because in the NYC area there were so many other good options. Eventually i heard these 2 songs and they struck me right away. From there i explored other songs. Still dont care for anything from the mid 70s forward. But the 60s early 70s stuff is great.
Two fantastic songs for sure, but - dude...this is like Kory saying he doesn't dig the Ramones. :naughty:
I'm with Rev here, most stuff after Exile leaves me cold. Love their 1964-69 output.
Dr. Hestrev. I'll never be a fan—can't get past Mick's voice—but I'm good with their more significant songs from the 60s. Crucial historically, but not my taste aesthetically.
Yeah Doc, you've said this before, and it's perfectly legit. Any vocal based music is going to live or die by how one relates to the the singer/s. I feel the same way about Led Zeppelin, as an example: I appreciate them, musically, a lot more now than when I was young and they were still around, but I just can't abide Robert Plant's voice. I tell mates that if they released the karaoke versions of their whole catalogue I'd buy it! :shifty:

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5291
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by revbob » 15 Sep 2017, 7:53pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 7:28pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 7:14pm
And this is like the 5th time in a few months where Heston and I are in pretty much full agreement. Perhpas i will have to look him up the next time im in Northumbria
He's already working on a Starship megamix for you.
Thats where this whole thing would go off the rails.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Sep 2017, 7:58pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 7:45pm
Yeah Doc, you've said this before, and it's perfectly legit. Any vocal based music is going to live or die by how one relates to the the singer/s. I feel the same way about Led Zeppelin, as an example: I appreciate them, musically, a lot more now than when I was young and they were still around, but I just can't abide Robert Plant's voice. I tell mates that if they released the karaoke versions of their whole catalogue I'd buy it! :shifty:
Mark E. Smith and the Fall are in that category. He either works for you or not. Biafra and the DKs, too.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Sep 2017, 7:59pm

revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 7:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 7:28pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 7:14pm
And this is like the 5th time in a few months where Heston and I are in pretty much full agreement. Perhpas i will have to look him up the next time im in Northumbria
He's already working on a Starship megamix for you.
Thats where this whole thing would go off the rails.
Whatever it takes to keep you on the side of light and goodness.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5291
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by revbob » 15 Sep 2017, 7:59pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 7:45pm

Yeah Doc, you've said this before, and it's perfectly legit. Any vocal based music is going to live or die by how one relates to the the singer/s. I feel the same way about Led Zeppelin, as an example: I appreciate them, musically, a lot more now than when I was young and they were still around, but I just can't abide Robert Plant's voice. I tell mates that if they released the karaoke versions of their whole catalogue I'd buy it! :shifty:
I never got the whole Robert Plant as greatest rock vocalist that people would often say in 70s/80s. I mean even if you just stay within that mlleu Roger Daltrey among others was so much better, and still is last I heard.

coffeepotman
Junco Partner
Posts: 476
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by coffeepotman » 15 Sep 2017, 8:02pm

Back to OP question...a rarely heard B side from the 60's


revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5291
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by revbob » 15 Sep 2017, 8:05pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 7:58pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 7:45pm
Yeah Doc, you've said this before, and it's perfectly legit. Any vocal based music is going to live or die by how one relates to the the singer/s. I feel the same way about Led Zeppelin, as an example: I appreciate them, musically, a lot more now than when I was young and they were still around, but I just can't abide Robert Plant's voice. I tell mates that if they released the karaoke versions of their whole catalogue I'd buy it! :shifty:
Mark E. Smith and the Fall are in that category. He either works for you or not. Biafra and the DKs, too.
Yeah agreed but can you imagine anyone else singing those songs? The singers personality is such a part of that music. I guess thst is true for most vocalists though. But to give another example. Im a big Sabbath fan but not a fan of the post Ozzy material. That said Dio was certainly a better singer but i dont care to hear him sing War Pigs etc.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Sep 2017, 8:21pm

revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 7:59pm
I never got the whole Robert Plant as greatest rock vocalist that people would often say in 70s/80s. I mean even if you just stay within that mlleu Roger Daltrey among others was so much better, and still is last I heard.
I'm fine with Plant—or at least he's neither here nor there for me; when I listen to Zep it's for the other three—but, my god, Daltrey's voice is commanding. I'm lukewarm on post-Tommy Who, but Daltrey consistently holds your attention. Inner circle frontman, without a doubt.
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:05pm
Yeah agreed but can you imagine anyone else singing those songs? The singers personality is such a part of that music. I guess thst is true for most vocalists though.
You're right on MES and Biafra. The idea of those bands, those songs with any other voice is nonsense (sorry, Faux Kennedys).
But to give another example. Im a big Sabbath fan but not a fan of the post Ozzy material. That said Dio was certainly a better singer but i dont care to hear him sing War Pigs etc.
Not a big Sabbath fan, but anyone other than Ozzy makes no sense to me.

At the same time, all this is evidence in a case that fans are intolerant assholes who don't like change. Which is generally true.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5291
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by revbob » 15 Sep 2017, 8:29pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:21pm
...
At the same time, all this is evidence in a case that fans are intolerant assholes who don't like change. Which is generally true.
Yes that and thread drift is inevitable.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Sep 2017, 8:38pm

revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:21pm
...
At the same time, all this is evidence in a case that fans are intolerant assholes who don't like change. Which is generally true.
Yes that and thread drift is inevitable.
Thread mutation.

(I'm never gonna win that terminology fight but I ain't surrenderin' neither. *spits defiantly*)
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4208
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by muppet hi fi » 15 Sep 2017, 8:44pm

coffeepotman wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:02pm
Back to OP question...a rarely heard B side from the 60's

Gorgeous, albeit menacing song. The b-side of "Jumping Jack Flash". I used to play (drums) and sing lead on it in a short lived Stones tribute band that was formed for an annual food shelf benefit here in Minniassholes.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5291
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by revbob » 15 Sep 2017, 8:46pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:38pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:21pm
...
At the same time, all this is evidence in a case that fans are intolerant assholes who don't like change. Which is generally true.
Yes that and thread drift is inevitable.
Thread mutation.

(I'm never gonna win that terminology fight but I ain't surrenderin' neither. *spits defiantly*)
Mutations are random errors that occur during replication. I think drift, evolution or devolution are more appropriate for what goes on round these here parts.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71137
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Sep 2017, 9:23pm

revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:38pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 8:21pm
...
At the same time, all this is evidence in a case that fans are intolerant assholes who don't like change. Which is generally true.
Yes that and thread drift is inevitable.
Thread mutation.

(I'm never gonna win that terminology fight but I ain't surrenderin' neither. *spits defiantly*)
Mutations are random errors that occur during replication. I think drift, evolution or devolution are more appropriate for what goes on round these here parts.
The change in direction can be so abrupt that I reject the more benign terms drift or evolution. When we change topics mid-thread, it is clearly a crime against the nature of the original premise. We are god's cruelest mistake. Or at least that's what my dad always told me when he put me to bed.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests