Silent Majority wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 12:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 12:09pm
Silent Majority wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 11:38am
WestwayKid wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 10:37am

Agree about McCartney. That is one of the most interesting things about him. Keith is an old crab. Mick, on the other hand, seems to be more like McCartney.
For both Paul and Jagger, I've no doubt that their preferences lie with the blues and sun sessions that first galvanised them, but they have a professional interest in understanding modern music and take some pride in staying abreast of the sounds on the popcharts and the names of the superstars and indie darlings.

Does it lead to their making better music? Probably not, but it's definitely better for their brains and connection to culture.
I don’t think it’s quite so mercenary in McCartney’s case. I’d point to his collaboration with Youth as The Fireman, where it was initially hidden who was involved. Going back to his Beatles days, Paul’s very hungry to absorb what can be done with sounds.
Yeah, I'll rephrase it slightly with Paul, I think genuine love and interest is there. The professional part of him is competitive and soaks up what interests him.
While I’ve never heard him speak negatively about hip hop, to his credit he’s never tried to rap, has he? I can’t help but think it’d end up being like Brian Wilson’s “Smart Girls.”
Yeah, Paul's worked with rappers, such as the horrible and insane Kanye West who let the former Beatle noodle out possible tunes on the acoustic guitar while West googled pictures of his then wife Kim Kardashian for two days.

McCartney knows who he is enough not to try rap himself (unless there's a My Name Is Paul and I'm Here to Say I Love Doing Things In the Fabbest Way! that I'm unaware of on a terrible, forgotten eighties album).
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 12:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 12:37pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 11:38am

For both Paul and Jagger, I've no doubt that their preferences lie with the blues and sun sessions that first galvanised them, but they have a professional interest in understanding modern music and take some pride in staying abreast of the sounds on the popcharts and the names of the superstars and indie darlings.

Does it lead to their making better music? Probably not, but it's definitely better for their brains and connection to culture.
I don’t think it’s quite so mercenary in McCartney’s case. I’d point to his collaboration with Youth as The Fireman, where it was initially hidden who was involved. Going back to his Beatles days, Paul’s very hungry to absorb what can be done with sounds.
Yeah, I'll rephrase it slightly with Paul, I think genuine love and interest is there. The professional part of him is competitive and soaks up what interests him.
While I’ve never heard him speak negatively about hip hop, to his credit he’s never tried to rap, has he? I can’t help but think it’d end up being like Brian Wilson’s “Smart Girls.”
Yeah, Paul's worked with rappers, such as the horrible and insane Kanye West who let the former Beatle noodle out possible tunes on the acoustic guitar while West googled pictures of his then wife Kim Kardashian for two days.

McCartney knows who he is enough not to try rap himself (unless there's a My Name Is Paul and I'm Here to Say I Love Doing Things In the Fabbest Way! that I'm unaware of on a terrible, forgotten eighties album).
The Rihanna/Kanye/McCartney song is terrific.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 1:49pm
Silent Majority wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 12:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 12:37pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The Rihanna/Kanye/McCartney song is terrific.
Yeah, I like it, too.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Whoa, the production is absolutely fucked on the new album. Maybe more thoughts later.

LATER

I like the track with MacCartney. Rough and ready, disposable rock 'n' roll. Jagger's in such good voice. Mad that he's only two years younger than Sinatra was when that crooner died.

Some good hooks and atmosphere on Whole Wide World. I'll listen to that again.

Dreamy Skies might have been a good ballad, but, again that production is horribly unsympathetic, so I can barely hear it.

Mess It Up sounds like modern pop, which I know Jagger would have been pleased for. It's Maroon 5 like, and it could hold its head up if released as a second single.

The track with Elton John (Live by the Sword) is banal and forgettable, as is Driving Me Too Hard.

The cliche of Keith having all the soul is borne out by his track on the record. Genuinely enjoyed that. Also, the Sweet Sound of Heaven with Lady Gaga is good in a late seventies Stones kind of way.

Alright, didn't mind that. Will never play it again from start to finish, but a couple of those will go on my current weekly or monthly playlist.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

After 3 play throughs i think Hackney Diamonds is on par and if not better than the "Some girls" LP. Amazing that a band at this late stage can offer up something as proper as this. Bite my head off being a favourite as is Keefs track. They apparently have another 10 tracks in the bag (including another featuring mcartney) and i would be very happy to hear them. We are at the end of days for the original rock n rollers...so lets drink up every last drop before its too late.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

motorsmell wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 1:57pm
After 3 play throughs i think Hackney Diamonds is on par and if not better than the "Some girls" LP. Amazing that a band at this late stage can offer up something as proper as this. Bite my head off being a favourite as is Keefs track. They apparently have another 10 tracks in the bag (including another featuring mcartney) and i would be very happy to hear them. We are at the end of days for the original rock n rollers...so lets drink up every last drop before its too late.
Really pleased it worked so well for you. I think it doesn't get to Some Girls, Tattoo You, or Bridges to Babylon heights, but has a consistency which brings it higher than the records between those albums. Totally respect their putting out stuff at this point in their incredible longevity. The comparison to Sinatra isn't a facetious one. He was deep into his decade of decline when he died at 82. It's life affirming to see these guys produce and do what they love at this level. Inspiring.

I hope we get one more Keith Richards solo record, too.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I'm a huge Stones fan and after multiple listens I think it's a really good album, I can't compare it to anything before. There are some really good songs and some mediocre songs. The good ones are pretty good though

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Spinning it again and it's really getting better and better. Steve Jordan is the perfect replacement for Mr Watts. Mick baffles me to how his voice is still so solid...seen the m once at Twickenham in 2018 and they were unbeatable...really considering making a large financial plunge next year on the inevitable tour

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 10:24am
I'm a huge Stones fan and after multiple listens I think it's a really good album, I can't compare it to anything before. There are some really good songs and some mediocre songs. The good ones are pretty good though
This is me, as well. It’s not as good as Some Girls, but it has some really solid tracks.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

motorsmell wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 1:02pm
Spinning it again and it's really getting better and better. Steve Jordan is the perfect replacement for Mr Watts. Mick baffles me to how his voice is still so solid...seen the m once at Twickenham in 2018 and they were unbeatable...really considering making a large financial plunge next year on the inevitable tour
I saw them live in 2021 with Steve on drums and it was a powerful show. I agree that he’s the perfect replacement for Charlie in the sense that his playing honors Charlie’s style while also being his own. If they tour the US next year I’d strongly consider it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

WestwayKid wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 10:23pm
motorsmell wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 1:02pm
I saw them live in 2021 with Steve on drums and it was a powerful show. I agree that he’s the perfect replacement for Charlie in the sense that his playing honors Charlie’s style while also being his own. If they tour the US next year I’d strongly consider it.
I'd consider it too, but the last Stones concert I saw was 2003 Licks tour, where they mixed up the setlist. They have been doing the same set for like 20 years now with maybe 1 or 2 deviations, so unless they are actually playing some new songs I wouldn't go.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I saw the Stones once at Desert Trip in... What was that, 2016?... And then again in Denver a few years ago. Great stuff, but it's so the opposite of what I usually like in a concert (it's massive spectacle vs more intimate experience) that I'm not sure I'd pony up the kind of cash required to see them again.

If you like the Stones and have never seen em before tho, I think it'd still be a great experience.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 1:29pm
I saw the Stones once at Desert Trip in... What was that, 2016?... And then again in Denver a few years ago. Great stuff, but it's so the opposite of what I usually like in a concert (it's massive spectacle vs more intimate experience) that I'm not sure I'd pony up the kind of cash required to see them again.

If you like the Stones and have never seen em before tho, I think it'd still be a great experience.
That was me. Saw them in 2012(?) and it was cool to see them and I'm glad I did, but I don't need to see them again. Unless they did a random show at a small venue and played random songs which I'll never get lucky enough to attend if they happened to do it again.

Side note, that was probably also the only time I'll ever see Tom Waits live as he guested on a song.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

now THAT is comedy
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak