The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Post Reply
Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25789
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Flex » 15 Sep 2017, 11:17am

Goddamn this tune. As good as anything they ever release, or even that that other band put out imho:
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4689
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by muppet hi fi » 15 Sep 2017, 11:40am

Shit. Listening to one of the two alt. takes of "I Got the Blues" from the '71 Marquee Club gig this very moment. It's not 3 o'clock in the morning anymore but I'm still drankin' and thankin' of you, Shelly. And singing my song for you. (oh, here come the alt. takes of "Bitch". How a-fucking-ppropriate :mrgreen: ).
Image
Last edited by muppet hi fi on 15 Sep 2017, 11:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6249
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by revbob » 15 Sep 2017, 11:59am

Either Paint it Black or Sympathy for the Devil.

When i was younger i never really cared for them because i only ever heard their later stuff. I didnt listen to the commercual radio too much because in the NYC area there were so many other good options. Eventually i heard these 2 songs and they struck me right away. From there i explored other songs. Still dont care for anything from the mid 70s forward. But the 60s early 70s stuff is great.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4689
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by muppet hi fi » 15 Sep 2017, 12:11pm

revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:59am
Either Paint it Black or Sympathy for the Devil.

When i was younger i never really cared for them because i only ever heard their later stuff. I didnt listen to the commercual radio too much because in the NYC area there were so many other good options. Eventually i heard these 2 songs and they struck me right away. From there i explored other songs. Still dont care for anything from the mid 70s forward. But the 60s early 70s stuff is great.
Two fantastic songs for sure, but - dude...this is like Kory saying he doesn't dig the Ramones. :naughty:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6249
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by revbob » 15 Sep 2017, 12:24pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:11pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:59am
Either Paint it Black or Sympathy for the Devil.

When i was younger i never really cared for them because i only ever heard their later stuff. I didnt listen to the commercual radio too much because in the NYC area there were so many other good options. Eventually i heard these 2 songs and they struck me right away. From there i explored other songs. Still dont care for anything from the mid 70s forward. But the 60s early 70s stuff is great.
Two fantastic songs for sure, but - dude...this is like Kory saying he doesn't dig the Ramones. :naughty:
I Didnt mean to pull a Kory or a reverse Heston I love the early stuff. But the later stuff ive heard doesnt grab me but granted im only going by the singles. Ive never done a deep dive on any of the 80s and later material.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4689
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by muppet hi fi » 15 Sep 2017, 12:39pm

revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:24pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:11pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:59am
Either Paint it Black or Sympathy for the Devil.

When i was younger i never really cared for them because i only ever heard their later stuff. I didnt listen to the commercual radio too much because in the NYC area there were so many other good options. Eventually i heard these 2 songs and they struck me right away. From there i explored other songs. Still dont care for anything from the mid 70s forward. But the 60s early 70s stuff is great.
Two fantastic songs for sure, but - dude...this is like Kory saying he doesn't dig the Ramones. :naughty:
I Didnt mean to pull a Kory or a reverse Heston I love the early stuff. But the later stuff ive heard doesnt grab me but granted im only going by the singles. Ive never done a deep dive on any of the 80s and later material.
Well, 'Some Girls' was from '78 and is widely considered a stone classic by almost all folk. 'Tattoo You' ('81, though some of it was re-worked from earlier '70s sessions) was also huge and is popularly and critically held in high esteem.

To my mind, the Stones are similar to the Ramones (or maybe AC/DC, if you go for them): they have a formula that they stick with (albeit a more diverse one than da brudders Ramone), and they deliver that vibe consistently and unfailingly, to this day. In my not so humble opinion, of course.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13370
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Silent Majority » 15 Sep 2017, 1:08pm

Flex wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:17am
Goddamn this tune. As good as anything they ever release, or even that that other band put out imho:
I've said it before, but I much, much prefer Mick's London School of Economics voice to his trying to badly impersonate Bo Diddley.
Not teargas nor baton charge
That stops you taking the city


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 16270
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by JennyB » 15 Sep 2017, 2:26pm

Flex wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:17am
Goddamn this tune. As good as anything they ever release, or even that that other band put out imho:
So fucking great. And so fucking relatable sometimes, which is a terrible thing to admit.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27235
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Heston » 15 Sep 2017, 3:35pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:11pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:59am
Either Paint it Black or Sympathy for the Devil.

When i was younger i never really cared for them because i only ever heard their later stuff. I didnt listen to the commercual radio too much because in the NYC area there were so many other good options. Eventually i heard these 2 songs and they struck me right away. From there i explored other songs. Still dont care for anything from the mid 70s forward. But the 60s early 70s stuff is great.
Two fantastic songs for sure, but - dude...this is like Kory saying he doesn't dig the Ramones. :naughty:
I'm with Rev here, most stuff after Exile leaves me cold. Love their 1964-69 output.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

coffeepotman
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by coffeepotman » 15 Sep 2017, 3:48pm

I'm a big Stones fan, the Brian era is classic, the 70's they were untouchable, 80's and beyond they are hit or miss. Personally I think they should have hung it up after 2002 tour. Pretty cringe worthy now, just watched a periscope of there opening night in Germany last week, Sympathy was painful to listen to.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25789
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Flex » 15 Sep 2017, 4:18pm

coffeepotman wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 3:48pm
I'm a big Stones fan, the Brian era is classic, the 70's they were untouchable, 80's and beyond they are hit or miss. Personally I think they should have hung it up after 2002 tour. Pretty cringe worthy now, just watched a periscope of there opening night in Germany last week, Sympathy was painful to listen to.
I'll admit, having never seen them in person before, seeing 'em at Desert Trip last year was a complete fucking blast.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13370
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Silent Majority » 15 Sep 2017, 4:27pm

I'm cool with contemporary live Stones.
Not teargas nor baton charge
That stops you taking the city


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

coffeepotman
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 1:51pm

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by coffeepotman » 15 Sep 2017, 4:49pm

I've seen every tour since 1981 and after A Bigger Bang I said that's it...I liked the album but the live show didn't move me..that being said I think their appearance at Glastonbury was awesome and wished I was there. I love that show and watch it often. Hyde park...meh

Spiff
User avatar
Mostly Nekkid
Posts: 3845
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:23am
Location: In the Spiff Bunker

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Spiff » 15 Sep 2017, 6:04pm

Little Red Rooster, same as always.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 74800
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Sep 2017, 6:15pm

Heston wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 3:35pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:11pm
revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:59am
Either Paint it Black or Sympathy for the Devil.

When i was younger i never really cared for them because i only ever heard their later stuff. I didnt listen to the commercual radio too much because in the NYC area there were so many other good options. Eventually i heard these 2 songs and they struck me right away. From there i explored other songs. Still dont care for anything from the mid 70s forward. But the 60s early 70s stuff is great.
Two fantastic songs for sure, but - dude...this is like Kory saying he doesn't dig the Ramones. :naughty:
I'm with Rev here, most stuff after Exile leaves me cold. Love their 1964-69 output.
Dr. Hestrev. I'll never be a fan—can't get past Mick's voice—but I'm good with their more significant songs from the 60s. Crucial historically, but not my taste aesthetically.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 15 guests