The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Silent Majority »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 11:20am
In honor of Keith's milestone birthday... his greatest musical moments (in my opinion):

1) Gimme Shelter ... not only does he contribute the creepy, crawly, unsettling intro... he also adds the spooky backing vocals and then handles both lead and rhythm duties. It also contains a great, bluesy solo.

2) Before they Make Me Run ... I like this one better than Happy. This was Keith staring down actual hard time for his drug bust in Toronto. The song is defiant, but also humbling... the miscreant who is accepting that it might be time to slow down and clean up... but can't quite resist a final middle finger.

3) Jumpin' Jack Flash ... one of the greatest riffs ever recorded and it's played on an acoustic guitar!

4) Can't You Hear Me Knocking ... the riff that drives this track is nasty and dirty and while it sounds so simple, Keith squeezes a ton of power and emotion out of it.

5) Tumbling Dice ... for my money maybe the greatest rhythm guitar ever. It's both silky smooth and powerful... effortlessly managing the tempo, while giving the whole track a kick in the guts.
Great choices.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

WestwayKid wrote:
In honor of Keith's milestone birthday... his greatest musical moments (in my opinion):

1) Gimme Shelter ... not only does he contribute the creepy, crawly, unsettling intro... he also adds the spooky backing vocals and then handles both lead and rhythm duties. It also contains a great, bluesy solo.

2) Before they Make Me Run ... I like this one better than Happy. This was Keith staring down actual hard time for his drug bust in Toronto. The song is defiant, but also humbling... the miscreant who is accepting that it might be time to slow down and clean up... but can't quite resist a final middle finger.

3) Jumpin' Jack Flash ... one of the greatest riffs ever recorded and it's played on an acoustic guitar!

4) Can't You Hear Me Knocking ... the riff that drives this track is nasty and dirty and while it sounds so simple, Keith squeezes a ton of power and emotion out of it.

5) Tumbling Dice ... for my money maybe the greatest rhythm guitar ever. It's both silky smooth and powerful... effortlessly managing the tempo, while giving the whole track a kick in the guts.
Probably my all time favorite Keith song right there.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 12:18pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Probably my all time favorite Keith song right there.
Hello,

Agreed - just slightly ahead of Little T & A.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I have this single, I think it's the most amazing thing, what a fantastic cover, totally changed from ska to roots

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

What if Mark E. Smith joined the Rolling Stones in 1980?
https://faxed.bandcamp.com/album/grotesque-rescue

Haven't listened to this yet, but it is available on Soulseek.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 2:58pm

Oh heavens, what would Muppet say?!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 3:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 2:58pm

Oh heavens, what would Muppet say?!
Can you talk in the midst of a fainting spell?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Goat's Head Soup is a damned fine record. I recently picked up a copy of the original CBS CD from the early 80s and it's the best sounding version of this LP other than the original LP. The 1994 Virgin is a close second. The 1999 Universal is terrible. Compressed to the brink of death.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble