The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Flex » 15 Sep 2017, 11:17am

Goddamn this tune. As good as anything they ever release, or even that that other band put out imho:
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Rolling Stones song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by muppet hi fi » 15 Sep 2017, 11:40am

Shit. Listening to one of the two alt. takes of "I Got the Blues" from the '71 Marquee Club gig this very moment. It's not 3 o'clock in the morning anymore but I'm still drankin' and thankin' of you, Shelly. And singing my song for you. (oh, here come the alt. takes of "Bitch". How a-fucking-ppropriate :mrgreen: ).
Last edited by muppet hi fi on 15 Sep 2017, 11:59am, edited 1 time in total.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob » 15 Sep 2017, 11:59am

Either Paint it Black or Sympathy for the Devil.

When i was younger i never really cared for them because i only ever heard their later stuff. I didnt listen to the commercual radio too much because in the NYC area there were so many other good options. Eventually i heard these 2 songs and they struck me right away. From there i explored other songs. Still dont care for anything from the mid 70s forward. But the 60s early 70s stuff is great.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi » 15 Sep 2017, 12:11pm

revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:59am

When i was younger i never really cared for them because i only ever heard their later stuff. I didnt listen to the commercual radio too much because in the NYC area there were so many other good options. Eventually i heard these 2 songs and they struck me right away. From there i explored other songs. Still dont care for anything from the mid 70s forward. But the 60s early 70s stuff is great.
Two fantastic songs for sure, but - dude...this is like Kory saying he doesn't dig the Ramones. :naughty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob » 15 Sep 2017, 12:24pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:11pm
revbob wrote:

Two fantastic songs for sure, but - dude...this is like Kory saying he doesn't dig the Ramones. :naughty:
I Didnt mean to pull a Kory or a reverse Heston I love the early stuff. But the later stuff ive heard doesnt grab me but granted im only going by the singles. Ive never done a deep dive on any of the 80s and later material.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi » 15 Sep 2017, 12:39pm

revbob wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:24pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:

I Didnt mean to pull a Kory or a reverse Heston I love the early stuff. But the later stuff ive heard doesnt grab me but granted im only going by the singles. Ive never done a deep dive on any of the 80s and later material.
Well, 'Some Girls' was from '78 and is widely considered a stone classic by almost all folk. 'Tattoo You' ('81, though some of it was re-worked from earlier '70s sessions) was also huge and is popularly and critically held in high esteem.

To my mind, the Stones are similar to the Ramones (or maybe AC/DC, if you go for them): they have a formula that they stick with (albeit a more diverse one than da brudders Ramone), and they deliver that vibe consistently and unfailingly, to this day. In my not so humble opinion, of course.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 15 Sep 2017, 1:08pm

Flex wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:17am
Goddamn this tune. As good as anything they ever release, or even that that other band put out imho:
I've said it before, but I much, much prefer Mick's London School of Economics voice to his trying to badly impersonate Bo Diddley.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Clash Cuck

Post by JennyB » 15 Sep 2017, 2:26pm

Flex wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 11:17am
So fucking great. And so fucking relatable sometimes, which is a terrible thing to admit.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 15 Sep 2017, 3:35pm

muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:

I'm with Rev here, most stuff after Exile leaves me cold. Love their 1964-69 output.
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

coffeepotman
Junco Partner

Post by coffeepotman » 15 Sep 2017, 3:48pm

I'm a big Stones fan, the Brian era is classic, the 70's they were untouchable, 80's and beyond they are hit or miss. Personally I think they should have hung it up after 2002 tour. Pretty cringe worthy now, just watched a periscope of there opening night in Germany last week, Sympathy was painful to listen to.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex » 15 Sep 2017, 4:18pm

coffeepotman wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 3:48pm
I'm a big Stones fan, the Brian era is classic, the 70's they were untouchable, 80's and beyond they are hit or miss. Personally I think they should have hung it up after 2002 tour. Pretty cringe worthy now, just watched a periscope of there opening night in Germany last week, Sympathy was painful to listen to.
I'll admit, having never seen them in person before, seeing 'em at Desert Trip last year was a complete fucking blast.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority » 15 Sep 2017, 4:27pm

I'm cool with contemporary live Stones.
'But also: hey dude, you can just go looking for more glasses. They're all free now. '

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

coffeepotman
Junco Partner

Post by coffeepotman » 15 Sep 2017, 4:49pm

I've seen every tour since 1981 and after A Bigger Bang I said that's it...I liked the album but the live show didn't move me..that being said I think their appearance at Glastonbury was awesome and wished I was there. I love that show and watch it often. Hyde park...meh

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff » 15 Sep 2017, 6:04pm

Little Red Rooster, same as always.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Sep 2017, 6:15pm

Heston wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 3:35pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
revbob wrote:

I'm with Rev here, most stuff after Exile leaves me cold. Love their 1964-69 output.
Dr. Hestrev. I'll never be a fan—can't get past Mick's voice—but I'm good with their more significant songs from the 60s. Crucial historically, but not my taste aesthetically.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!