Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Covering Album Covers

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:34pm
I like it with its 60's retro feel. Not sure about red band at the top. Can't really see the point of that as the typography is also a very similar colour.
Perhaps the retro faux authenticity? That is, the label they were seeking to imitate might have done that for all their sleeves. Just a guess, tho.
I think you are probably correct mate. I think they should of at least used a different font colour or band and pulled the font down so it's not touching the band

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I like it with its 60's retro feel. Not sure about red band at the top. Can't really see the point of that as the typography is also a very similar colour.
Perhaps the retro faux authenticity? That is, the label they were seeking to imitate might have done that for all their sleeves. Just a guess, tho.
I think you are probably correct mate. I think they should of at least used a different font colour or band and pulled the font down so it's not touching the band
Yeah, drop the word "Memoirs" just a hair to put in the illusion of a black border.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 4:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah, drop the word "Memoirs" just a hair to put in the illusion of a black border.
Perfect. See how easy it is. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I find the above discussion fascinating because for years I've been asked why I don't try graphic design as a more stable career path, and when I say "because I'm an illustrator, not a designer. I have no idea how to design," I get blank stares. They are very different skill sets that some people happen to be able to balance. I do not have that balance.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 5:11pm
I find the above discussion fascinating because for years I've been asked why I don't try graphic design as a more stable career path, and when I say "because I'm an illustrator, not a designer. I have no idea how to design," I get blank stares. They are very different skill sets that some people happen to be able to balance. I do not have that balance.
Maybe both you and Doc have a point about people with a good eye I never really give it a second thought.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Even tho you know how to do a layout for your illustrations? I don't doubt that it's still different than graphic design, but it's interesting to me that there's still enough of a gap that you don't feel you have that skill.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 5:17pm
Wolter wrote:
Even tho you know how to do a layout for your illustrations? I don't doubt that it's still different than graphic design, but it's interesting to me that there's still enough of a gap that you don't feel you have that skill.
I can do basic composition, but font and color choices and proper informational display beyond simple narrative are not my strong points. I'm probably better than a total layman, but I'm not well versed in theory and techniques of design.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 6:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 5:17pm
Wolter wrote:
I can do basic composition, but font and color choices and proper informational display beyond simple narrative are not my strong points. I'm probably better than a total layman, but I'm not well versed in theory and techniques of design.
That's just it—recognizing that there's something distinct about a skill, that it's not necessarily elastic or transferable. My family doesn't understand when I tell them that I'm not much of a writer. Technically, sure, because I'm a copy editor I'm competent and can avoid common errors, but true writing injects a spirit into the text that brings it to life. And I don't have that. I can recognize that deficiency in my text but I can't fix it. Obviously it's good enough to fool people in academia, but I'd never be able to con a real writer.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 5:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I gotta disagree with you guys on this one. I think a different color band would be too distracting on this duotone cover. My bigger beef is with the separating elements. The three items are so obviously already in their little pockets that drawing the rounded rectangles around them is overkill. I think having the title merge with the red band is a good solution for making things seem integrated again, but it wouldn't be necessary without the rectangles in the first place. Merging text with color bars in this way is a big design trick for promoting integration and interaction, but it doesn't always work. In this case, it's not my favorite, but I'm not as offended as you lot.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:28pm
I gotta disagree with you guys on this one. I think a different color band would be too distracting on this duotone cover. My bigger beef is with the separating elements. The three items are so obviously already in their little pockets that drawing the rounded rectangles around them is overkill. I think having the title merge with the red band is a good solution for making things seem integrated again, but it wouldn't be necessary without the rectangles in the first place. Merging text with color bars in this way is a big design trick for promoting integration and interaction, but it doesn't always work. In this case, it's not my favorite, but I'm not as offended as you lot.
I don't know how familiar you are with the history of design, but was that kind of separation that called overkill common to the era?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I wouldn't use another colour font to distract from the band. Unless it was a colour already used in the duotone. But the band is another shade of red and it doesn't work fork me merging with the font not allowing the font to stand out bold enough. You make a good point about the cramped boxes but that was a feature of those 60's style comps with a very busy looking cover leaving little if any space.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 02 Nov 2017, 9:59am, edited 2 times in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

In this case, I would say I agree with Kory, but would never have found the words he did to explain why.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:39pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I wouldn't use another colour font to distract from the band. Unless it was a colour already used in the duotone. But the band is another shade of red and it doesn't work fork me merging with the font not allowing the font to stand out bold enough. You make a good point about the cramped boxes but that was a feature of those 60's style comps with a very busy looking cover leaving little if any space.
OK so what I'm trying to say here is you swap the color of the band from the red to the off white and change the stereo hi-fidelity logo to the red along with the border lines.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 9:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:39pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

OK so what I'm trying to say here is you swap the color of the band from the red to the off white and change the stereo hi-fidelity logo to the red along with the border lines.
Yeah, I think I could get on board with that. Except I'd still get rid of the boxes.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 8:33pm
Kory wrote:
I don't know how familiar you are with the history of design, but was that kind of separation that called overkill common to the era?
It certainly does seem very '60s, but I can't explain why or think of another example of it. It may be that they were emulating a specific label, perhaps.