Covering Album Covers

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Covering Album Covers

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 4:38pm
I'm thrilled with this thread. Where HTH is concerned, the back cover is the real story.
And what story is being told?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 6:07pm
Heston wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 4:38pm
I'm thrilled with this thread. Where HTH is concerned, the back cover is the real story.
And what story is being told?
Drugs and orgies.

The next album cover is the best one.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 6:17pm
Drugs and orgies.
KISS doesn't believe in drugs. And it's less orgies than group statutory rape.
Destroyer is the iconic one. So much so that I saw it in a black velvet painting in Mexico once. Water always finds its level.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 6:28pm
Heston wrote:
Drugs and orgies.
Destroyer is the iconic one. So much so that I saw it in a black velvet painting in Mexico once. Water always finds its level.
I almost did that one first because it's the really successful one, but then I wouldn't get to dump on them.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 7:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I almost did that one first because it's the really successful one, but then I wouldn't get to dump on them.
That's the one where they let L'il Heston know that they're comic book characters, not an actual rock band.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 7:06pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's the one where they let L'il Heston know that they're comic book characters, not an actual rock band.
They even added their blood to the ink for their comic!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Drugs and orgies.
The cover of Destroyer while iconic is still silly as all get out. Ace is doing that woerd thing with his legs and Gene looks a bit like Heatmeiser.
Last edited by revbob on 04 Aug 2017, 7:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 7:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 7:06pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
They even added their blood to the ink for their comic!
All those fans, getting an STD from turning the page of a comic.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

DO EVERY KISS ALBUM
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 7:13pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Drugs and orgies.
The cover of Destroyer while iconic is still silly as all get out. Ace is doing that woerd thing with his legs and Gene looks a bit like Heatmeiser.
Right, but as a designer, you always have to think of your client. That cover does exactly what it needs to do. What is KISS if not the silliest band in the world?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 7:19pm
DO EVERY KISS ALBUM
Unmasked is one garbage burrito effort.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

It really is a masterpiece...
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 3:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 2:27pm
JoseUnidos wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 2:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 1:49pm
Is it just me or does the logo look kind of warped, making it look like it's also slightly receding into the distance?
The logo's also positioned in a weird place - above but not overlapping the top of Criss' head so it's either really big (like, Hollywood sign big) floating behind the band, or it's really small floating in front of the band. Either way it's a Graphic Design 101 no-no.
Maybe that's what's doing it for me. The positioning is awkward and maybe that's why it seems warped.
It's hard to tell because I don't have a hi-res version of it, but my guess would be that the logo was actually made of rhinestones and photographed from above, as they did everything physically back then. I see what you mean and would blame human error for the wobbliness.
Yep I get the impression the logo is actually there hanging from wire or something as opposed to being added afterwards. Also and probably by accident than design the logo forces you to look at it's imperfection and size ratio so in some form it works.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 7:19pm
DO EVERY KISS ALBUM SOME DAMAGE

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Returning to this thread, I offer Swans' iconic Filth cover. The teeth x-ray is almost certainly the most recognizable image associated with the band. The typography, tho, mars the impact. What would you do to improve it?