Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 6:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 6:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 6:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 6:31pm
In hindsight I could do without the swastika on Sid's t-shirt. At the time I thought it was very cool to get up the noses of those that were easily offended with the shocking imagery. However over the years I came to the realisation that it's so very personal to a lot of Jewish people that sticking two fingers up at the monarchy is one thing but offending those whose families suffered such an awful loss at the hands of the Nazis is a step too far. I feel the same about "Belsen Was A Gas" also.
I agree. In seeking to offend or shock one audience, you're also saying you don't care if another audience is offended—one that has every justification in the world. Back in the day, I had a red hammer & sickle shirt that I wore for the same stupid reason of seeking to offend. That puerile goal was privileged over the historical reality of that symbol and the deaths of millions. I can rationalize it by citing alienation or discovering what I believed and all that, but it was selfish and callow on my part.
I feel the same about CtC sweatshirts. ;)
That's atonement thru self-debasement.
Got me a sweatshirt
I want you to know
Stitching up clash fans
I want you to know

Crap is so groovy
I want you to know
Don't know about you
But I am arrêtant les conneries

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Covering Album Covers

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 7:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 6:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
30 Oct 2017, 6:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
In hindsight I could do without the swastika on Sid's t-shirt. At the time I thought it was very cool to get up the noses of those that were easily offended with the shocking imagery. However over the years I came to the realisation that it's so very personal to a lot of Jewish people that sticking two fingers up at the monarchy is one thing but offending those whose families suffered such an awful loss at the hands of the Nazis is a step too far. I feel the same about "Belsen Was A Gas" also.
I agree. In seeking to offend or shock one audience, you're also saying you don't care if another audience is offended—one that has every justification in the world. Back in the day, I had a red hammer & sickle shirt that I wore for the same stupid reason of seeking to offend. That puerile goal was privileged over the historical reality of that symbol and the deaths of millions. I can rationalize it by citing alienation or discovering what I believed and all that, but it was selfish and callow on my part.
I feel the same about CtC sweatshirts. ;)
That's atonement thru self-debasement.
Got me a sweatshirt
I want you to know
Stitching up clash fans
I want you to know

Crap is so groovy
I want you to know
Don't know about you
But I am arrêtant les conneries
10/10, would snicker again.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yep agreed. You only have to watch that film of Sid wearing the Swastika Tshirt in Paris and see the reactions to know it isn’t right regardless of your intention.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Have we discussed how this is the greatest album cover?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 9:24am
Fantastic always loved that cover . Hey you know what the music inside isn't bad either. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
I'm not sold on the typography—tho that's a regular sticking point with me that probably reflects an ignorance—but I love the bold colouring on the photos. So obviously artificial, which reflects a theme of the album.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 9:50am
JennyB wrote:
Fantastic always loved that cover . Hey you know what the music inside isn't bad either. ;)
Not bad at all - in fact, one of the best. :)
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 10:06am
JennyB wrote:
I'm not sold on the typography—tho that's a regular sticking point with me that probably reflects an ignorance—but I love the bold colouring on the photos. So obviously artificial, which reflects a theme of the album.
Yep.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 10:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Yep.
You're not wrong about the type, Doc—the issue here is that the band name and album title are given roughly the same prominence or "weight". The album title is actually even a little MORE important, which is weird for a debut album. It wouldn't be so bad with regular type, but because both are basically logos, it would have been nice to have some differentiation.

The concept itself is corny, but fun. Not my favorite punk cover, but it's not like there was a surplus of good designers in that era except Malcolm Garrett. He, and later, Peter Saville, elevated all that stuff.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 1:16pm
You're not wrong about the type, Doc—the issue here is that the band name and album title are given roughly the same prominence or "weight". The album title is actually even a little MORE important, which is weird for a debut album. It wouldn't be so bad with regular type, but because both are basically logos, it would have been nice to have some differentiation.
Is it generally a faux pas to use two different designs/fonts within the album title like that? Other than their close proximity, isn't it a signal that they are two separate elements?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Yep.

The concept itself is corny, but fun. Not my favorite punk cover, but it's not like there was a surplus of good designers in that era except Malcolm Garrett. He, and later, Peter Saville, elevated all that stuff.
Jamie Reid & Barney Bubbles just took a shit on your Cornflakes! The punk/new wave era produced more iconic record sleeves than any before or since. Especially with the 7'' single format up until then a lot of simple generic company sleeves.

Some great ones here.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/hodgson1248/punk-+new-wave/

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 1:29pm
Kory wrote:
Is it generally a faux pas to use two different designs/fonts within the album title like that? Other than their close proximity, isn't it a signal that they are two separate elements?
I can't think of another album which does it like this, but I don't know if I'd call it a faux pas. I might not have chosen that font, but they might have been trying to make a statement, meaning the the two separate elements are intentional ("germfree" is clean and orderly, "adolescents," both in life and typographically, is not). I'd also have chosen to have the two words in the same color to pull it together more, but I think the play for garishness may have been intentional too (although I think the original used different colors from this anyway).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Yep.

I like both the logo and title on the X-ray Spex album but I would've changed the colours and the positioning of the title .

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 1:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I can't think of another album which does it like this, but I don't know if I'd call it a faux pas. I might not have chosen that font, but they might have been trying to make a statement, meaning the the two separate elements are intentional ("germfree" is clean and orderly, "adolescents," both in life and typographically, is not). I'd also have chosen to have the two words in the same color to pull it together more, but I think the play for garishness may have been intentional too (although I think the original used different colors from this anyway).
Take a look at the single sleeve for Tommy Gun.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 1:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
So common colour is a more important unifier than common typography?